PDA

View Full Version : rear disc handbrake cables??

Gabbo
03-04-09, 11:35 PM
read the how to do guids on putting rear discs on, got the discs on and they work fine just confused as to what handbrake cables to use.
any one point me in the right direction??

cheers :)

brainsnova
03-04-09, 11:37 PM
something like a mk2 cav

MARTIN KELSON
04-04-09, 09:59 AM
If i remember correct on mine, passenger side (short one) is standard Nova.

The longer one i think was something like MKII Astra.
You will not i believe get one to go straight on without modifying.

On mine the longer cable with the threaded section you have to make longer by getting another piece of threaded bar from the likes of B&Q and weld it to the origonal threaded section on the cable to approx double its length.

Thats how i did mine and never had any issues & as you have to modify makes sourcing a cable from Vauxhall alot easier.

Hope that helps a little

Martin

Pistol Pete
04-04-09, 10:52 AM
lol

I am too struggling to sort this. Seems so many ways of sorting it. Some use the Nova long cable and a short (mk2 Cavalier estate) cable. It (AFAIK) depends on what cable guides you are using. Standard Nova guides or the tube like Astra ones.

Sorry to confuse you even more!!

Spudly
04-04-09, 10:56 AM
Ive heard the longer section from an astra mk3 GSi goes straight on and fits with no mods before, never fitted a disc cable myself but ive heard that a few times, thought id throw another suggestion in the mix lol

matthew172
04-04-09, 11:11 AM
o/s/r mk2 cav handbrake cable (short part) GM part no, 90421703

this will mate upto your original nova long part cable

Pistol Pete
04-04-09, 11:24 AM
^ you star!!!! I take it these are available from Vauxhall still then?

But...what cable guides do you use with this? As i have the tube like guides from a mk2 Astra GTE.

Gabbo
04-04-09, 01:57 PM
i bought a cav mk3 (i think) short 1 (o/s) this morning and like you said martin its to short but i didnt think of modding it but i know what you mean now so it lengthens it so i can use the origonal nova long 1 (n/s)

im on with it now so ill see what i can make out and post it up.

cheers :)