PDA

View Full Version : putting an turbo on an standerd xe engine ?

JordyzNova
03-04-09, 07:24 PM
alright people,my freind has asked me 2 put a post on here about his quiery ?

he has xe in his astra now he doen't know wetha he can just bolt a turbo on will it be ok or what will have 2 get
eny advise or help is great thank s:thumb:

let mainifold obs.....

Graeme
03-04-09, 07:40 PM
It'll go bang if he doesn't drop the c/r

MattBrown
03-04-09, 07:42 PM
What about oil feeds?

Compression ratio?

Head work?

Cams?

ECU?

Injectors?

Rod Bolts?

Oil will be the hard part me thinks, also, you can buy a 1mm metal spacer plate to lower the cr, my question is, why not spend the money and buy an let?

Pistol Pete
03-04-09, 07:52 PM
Have a search in the mechanical section (where this probably should have been posted) been covered once or twice before. It works out easier (and cheaper!) to buy a LET.

The XE block can be used, it has the blanking plug that will be needed for LET conversion (i think), but as Matt says, there is alot of other factors to think about.

Graeme
03-04-09, 07:54 PM
The block has to be tapped at the rear for the turbo oil feed. As said above if it was that easy why wouldn't everyone do it

stupot89
03-04-09, 08:28 PM
the thread is there already just need to remove a bung/plug thingymabob

pul16v
03-04-09, 08:37 PM
my xe blocks have never had a bung in just a flat face which needed drilling/taping
guy local to me has put a let turbo on a std xe useing all the let pipeing and the xe std management think hes uped the fuel pressure and it runs like a ball of ****e . i really dont like the way it works but tbh it is fast .BUT. NOWAY would i rely on something built like this as its allready melted some pistons
my advice is to fit a let but it can be done . doesnt run toowell tho

phil

craig green
04-04-09, 04:46 PM
The XE management will fuel it OK for a few psi, however the ignition mapping is waay out which is what causes the problems. You could buy all the necessary LEt bits 2nd hand & slowly get there & possibly save a bundle of money... if you are clever.

dj_wudgey
04-04-09, 04:59 PM
id just save up and go the a let lump you may save money but you could avoid allot off work if you just bought a let!!

Ste L
04-04-09, 07:19 PM
if your going for high power and virtually chaning most thing's on the engine, like pistons, mainfold, turbo etc etc, then xe would be fine...

cheaper just to buy a let though

gunny
04-04-09, 10:24 PM
slap it on and run it on low boost, you'll have mad fun for a short while lol

being XE compression you get xe power with a fairly good kick when it comes on boost, which with the engine have higher compression ratio than an LET you will have very little if any lag

But it will blow up, eventually lol

MattBrown
05-04-09, 10:03 AM
Whats this 2mm or so head spacer Ive heard about?

Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a fcked let, and combine the let and xe?

Or, just buy a let lol lol

twistysnovagte
05-04-09, 11:03 AM
drop the xe buy a c20let/z20let(if money aint a issue!)

dj_wudgey
05-04-09, 11:29 AM
drop the xe buy a c20let/z20let(if money aint a issue!)

thats what id do especially if the money is not a problem like lol

EUROTURBO
05-04-09, 12:25 PM
Courtnay used to produce a "turbo Kit" of a sort which comprises of compression plate, top hat etc...

I have both of these at home for sale if your interested.

it loweres the compression of the standard pistons so you can run a reasonable amount of boost and the top hat is there to re route the induction from the left hand side on the engine to the right so an intercooler can be run.

not sayinng this would be ideal but if its a cheap turbo you want then thats prob your best option...

glen

muzzy
05-04-09, 12:36 PM
Ferriday Engineering produce decompression plates for the XE. Obviously there is more to it than that but you will need to know either what thickness of plate you need or the compression ratio you want to achieve.