PDA

View Full Version : bad earth?

jim sri
15-01-03, 04:08 PM
when i indicate left, dash indicator light comes on fine+so do external lights, but when i indicate right, dash bulb flashes really fast, rear cluster bulb flashes fast too&front indicator doesn't work-sidelight bulb flashes instead! :oops:
is this a bad earth somewhere?if it is, where is the earthing point for this part of the electrics?anyone else had this prob?
cheers

novax
15-01-03, 04:43 PM
Yep, it's a bad earth alright.... follow the Haynes manual and unbolt all the earths all over the car and clean them with wirewool etc. use new bolts/screws if you can and then smear a little vasaline over them to stop corrossion.

Just one other thought, you have changed the bulb? :wink:

neiloakley
15-01-03, 04:55 PM
bollox it's ever a bad earth. Your front indicator bulb has gone. The frequency of the flashing is determined by the resistance of the circuit. As the front bulb now has an infinate resistance, the resistance of the circuit goes up so does the flash rate. Just change the bulb and it will be sorted.

jim sri
15-01-03, 05:25 PM
what, so even just the bulb gone could cause the sidelight bulb to flash?
i havnt changed it, will do now to test it. will post in a mo!

jim sri
15-01-03, 05:35 PM
changed bulb, still did it, sidelight flashing still too. but...when i took the bulb out completely the sidelight stopped flashing!
:roll:
the car is cursed!

bish
15-01-03, 05:45 PM
my car did the same it had a dodgy connection to the bulb at the front,try fiddling about with it while the indicator is still on and check the condition of the wires on the connection.the last 2 novas ive had both got the same prob and it was either a bad connector or mouldy wires

locky
15-01-03, 06:59 PM
Defo front bulb prob, the flasher relay flashes quicker, coz its got more power to do so, change the bulb again, and fiddle with some wires!

Manta Mad
15-01-03, 07:01 PM
Would agree with novax and bish. If it was just the front bulb that had blown, the side light bulb wouldn't flash. Must be a bad earth or connection.

neiloakley
16-01-03, 08:15 AM
when my front indicator bulb blew, my sidelight still flashed. They are not wired in series otherwise u would need 6v bulbs not 12v ones.

Freddy
17-01-03, 10:37 PM
Cheack connection to the bulb that aint working i got a dodgy conection to my driver side front indicator if i hit it it will work and flash normally but when the conection works its way lose again the other 2 driver side indicators flah fast give it a good bang works for me. (I will fix it just cant b arsed at the mo)