PDA

View Full Version : E16SE - MBE management

kbf71
02-04-09, 10:48 PM
Basicly i have to convert my e16se to the c16se so i can recieve an MBE management system on the car. I have some of the bits i need but not all. I know i can ditch the afm but i need to retain a 'standard airbox' to meet my racing series regulations! I have the Crank sensor and pulley off a C16SE, and i will be using a coil pack off a black-top Focus. I was wondering if anyone has ever gone to the trouble of converting an E16SE to recieve a fully-mappable ECU, and if they could please share their expertise.

I think I need a variable throttle potentiometer, but i dont know what car i could get it off! I also need a MAP sensor, a manifold with lamba sensor, and either a different alternator or a different pulley as will have to use narrow rib bets instead of V.

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated.

The E16SE currently uses standard ECU, afm, and fuel pressure regulator. The head has been skimmed and the block decked. I have had valves reground and 0.5mm bigger pistons and currently produces 104bhp at the fly :) I have a sweet deal with an engine tuner who i have already paid just £300 for MBE ecu, loom and mapping! I just need to get the car to where it can recieve the new goodies :D

AlexW
03-04-09, 01:46 AM
I can only help with a couple of things.

Airbox you will need from the later C16SE, or the nova SRI, (C14SE). Same with the exhaust. Twin downpipe manifold btw.

Map sensor, afaik you can get it from anything GM? Just has to have a vaccum ofc.

When you say about the alternator. You can get single V bottom pullys (nova SRI and the later C16SE i belive too), or just get a multi rib alternator and/or bottom pully from a corsa or the like.

Sloth
03-04-09, 02:00 AM
just use the setup from a later c16se post 1993. there on coilpack and map

kbf71
03-04-09, 08:58 AM
The standard VX coil isn't compatible with aftermarket ecus, which is why i am using the ford unit.

I dont think there is a V pulley with crank sensor wheel attached. What I have is a crank sensor wheel from a C16SE (astra) and it also a narrow rib pulley for the alternator belt. Do the rib-pulley alternators mount differently?

The manifold has to be standard to be legal in my race series, I know the c16se manifold has a lamba sensor in it - shouldn't be too hard to find?

Does the C16SE have a variable throttle potentiometer? I have a top end of a C16SE that i salvaged from a scrapyard recently, but its not in great shape so i just want to scavenge what i can :)

phazer
03-04-09, 10:38 AM
The standard VX coil isn't compatible with aftermarket ecus, which is why i am using the ford unit.

Oh yes they are :D I've been using one for a good few years now on my DTA. You need an ECU that can drive amplified coil packs and know how to wire it.

I was using ecotec coilpacks but found them unreliable, the ford units are supposed to be very good though.

Sloth
03-04-09, 11:33 AM
use a nova sri c14se or gsi c16se bottom pulley, single v and toothed for the c/s, phazer, the vaux coilpack works with megasquirt too.

craig green
03-04-09, 11:34 AM
The coilpacks on the smallblock XE (assume the same as C16SE?) are pretty hefty & have a large heatsink, so I would have thought they'd be ideal.
I would have thought all the bits you need could be got from a scrapped multi-point injection Astra 8v. There are some differences to the plenums & throttle body's between the E16 & C16, naturally the cambox is different to accept the coilpack over the dizzy & I guess the later oil pump housing has a bolt on boss for the crank sensor??

phazer
03-04-09, 11:41 AM
The coilpacks on the smallblock XE (assume the same as C16SE?) are pretty hefty & have a large heatsink, so I would have thought they'd be ideal.

Yes the packs are the same. They are so big as they are amplified, much better for your ECU as it takes the load of it. The DTA certainly runs massively cooler when not driving the coils.

kbf71
03-04-09, 11:53 AM
Where can i get hold of a Crank sensor V pulley? Did it come like that on the late Nova gsi?

The garage doing my ecu doesn't like the VX coils, which is why they have me scavenging for a ford unit! I have a modified blanking plate to mount the new coil so converting it from dizzy won't be a problem :)

the biggest trouble i've had is getting an airbox, but i spent the day butchering a spare afm airbox and it looks like the flow would be ok through it. I removed the flap, cut away a lot of the material and made a pipe straight through it to keep the flow good. No idea if it will work though :p

What is the difference with the throttle body? Will the standard E16 stuff need replacing?

Im learning as i go along with all this - everytime i get hold of one bit, something else comes up...

Would it be easier to modify the alternator mounting and use a narrow-rib alternator as i already have the corresponding Crank Sensor wheel + pulley? I talked to a guy about an alternator and he said he had 'multi V' which i assumed he meant narrow rib :confused:

For definate, I have an MBE 967 ecu, a narrow-rib CS pulley, a f***ed afm to use as airbox. I know i need a map sensor, and a TPS.

I'll come back to this later, i have to go to work now lol

craig green
03-04-09, 12:04 PM
The toothed lower pulleys are available from Vauxhall for about £20 IIRC. I priced one up for my smallblock XE (assuming SRi part no used).

The late airboxes are rare, again I bought one to use with my 16v but the CTS & wiring was in the way, it sold really easily.

The TB & plenum are just mildly different if you know these engines, I assume the C16 has a different type of TPS & idle control to the earlier engine.