PDA

View Full Version : Door lock

pickle2000
15-01-03, 03:53 PM
I have recently had my 1.2 Merit broken into by someone ramming a screwdriver into the passenger door lock. The lock is a bit buckled and bent but still works with the key..... however, it would appear that they have completely f'ked the lock since you can open it with any key now! All that you need to do is to turn the barell and hey-presto.....
I have put an alarm on the car now, but I could really do with either disabling the lock or putting it right.

What can I do?

Cheers
Pickle

novax
15-01-03, 04:47 PM
try a local breakers and buy a complete new lock-set from an onl scrapped car.

Cleeve Breakers 01452-410000

Otherwise fit those special locks with the round key, think Halfords do them. Sorry can't remember the name.

neiloakley
15-01-03, 04:57 PM
if you have an alarm, get central locking and an interface (if your alarm is bottom of the range) and then delock. Simple!!

Manta Mad
15-01-03, 07:07 PM
I had the same happen to me. I have got central locking so opened up the passenger door (removed door card) and disconnected the metal connector link from the plastic arm on the end of the lock barrell. The barrell just turns round now but doesn't do anything. You can still lock/unlock from the central locking or with the button on the door top.

Would work OK from the door top button if you don't have central locking.

ade
15-01-03, 10:40 PM
fitting new lock is easy - the nova locks are only held in place with a c clip!
A kid could break into them (and usually do!)

Central locking is the best option like Manta Mad says.

The halfords options are v good - can be expensive but easy to fit - hardest bit is getting the door card off (more of a faff than hard!)

Ade

jim sri
15-01-03, 11:48 PM
is it 'solex' locks, or sumtin like that?
id get down the breakers mate, it cost me a fiver a few months back for new boot lock&key. then do what pickle said, disconnect the connector rod.

mikeoxford
16-01-03, 01:30 AM
central lcok the thing and delock it - it helps to deter at least

pickle2000
16-01-03, 12:29 PM
Yeah I am going to get my central locking motors put in asap.....
I am having a problem taking the door card off at the moment - I can't seem to prise the clip holding the window winder in place. It is a real b*tch to take off, isn't there a special tool that you can use for it??
The drivers side one just pings out with a screwdriver, but the passenger side one is just unreachable.

I think that I will just disconnect the lock itself so that the barrel will rotate, but nothing will happen. Then I can use the door pin to unlock the door. Just need to get the door card off first.....

Cheers for the advice guys...

neiloakley
16-01-03, 12:32 PM
use a large screwdriver as a lever between the winder and the door card then either use another screwdriver to push out the circlip or use a pair of long nose pliers to pull it out. DONT loose it though.

If you can get it off, just undo all the other clips and bolts and rotate the card around the winder. This will allow you to get to the locking mechanism.

mikeoxford
16-01-03, 11:03 PM
if you wind the window handle round a bit, so u can look down the handle as it were - u should be looking at the bottom, i just then slid a long screwdriver down the back and prised off one leg at a time

mikeoxford
16-01-03, 11:04 PM
oh..........

wait for the PING PING PING as it shoots from pillar to post in the car!!!!

Manta Mad
16-01-03, 11:43 PM
Vauxhall have used this system for years and I have a pair of long thin scissors that are ideal for removing these clips, just open up the scissors enough to get a point on each side of the U clip and push out.

There is a proper tool to do this, its like a wide flat bread knife with a U shape cut out.

carltoncrazy
16-01-03, 11:56 PM
best thing to stop ya car from being nicked.
leave it unlocked,then the theif thinks theres sumfing rong with it and want it nicked,
and theif being wankers,wont nick it,
work for 2 yrs 4 me,then the enigne fucked up

Chris LR
17-01-03, 12:00 AM
I often do that, As many peopel av said before, if theieves want to get in they will, you may as well keep your glass in one piece!

fcuk!
17-01-03, 03:09 AM
use a cloth/ragg to get the clip off. it's a peice of p!ss m8, just slide it in and tug (maybe wiggle a bit).

have fun.

neiloakley
17-01-03, 08:06 AM
clotch? have to try that one next time. Hmmmmm

pickle2000
17-01-03, 11:20 AM
Cheers lads..... it looks like I am going to be having loads of fun trying to ping out the clip with scissors, screwdrivers and rags.... :D ..... will have to watch that it doesn't just ping off, otherwise the passenger will have no window winder :oops:

I don't think that it would be good to leave the door unlocked - would allow the sh1tty thieves that don't know what they are doing to just open yer door and start rooting through yer car.

Aragorn
17-01-03, 12:03 PM
me da does that with his transit

its been broke into before and since it sits with nowt in it and is immobilised anyway he just leaves it unlocked

if they want in to nick the fucked ford stereo then they can, at least the dont smash a window getting there