PDA

View Full Version : Nathans Nova

novaguy08
01-04-09, 10:41 PM
Right, i know its not the greatest car in the world, but remeber its a WIP, :D Now due to an expanding family & lack of money its a slow moving process, but its going to happen eventually :D

Right check list:

Car, check 1 Nova 1.2 8v expression in Cosmos Blue (K648HMX)

Suspension, Check thanks joycey, Apex Adjusables on -30mm springs Next job ARBs (F&R)n& polybushes.

Wheels & tyres, Right now its on 14" steelies powder coated silver and budget tyres.

Bodywork: erm...... this is an interesting one, she had a re-spray & i smoothed the bumpers, however some bastid reversed into my front bumper and reversed my smoothing process. so Bumpers are now primer Gray again and there is a few bits that need to be tidied up again, lets just say square zero with this. Oh and Fit GSi Skirts and Spoiler, Laguna splitter fitted *done*.

Engine: Still the 1.2 but with an induction filter & 1.6 cam :D not sure where im going with it right now but when i do know ill fill in the gaps :roll:

Surprises: Oh the most annoying thing about this lil beuty, the surprises it throws up, so far i have had to deal with:
HT leads going weird & causing a weeks worth of annoying crap running TWICE!
My first MOT, Failed on wheel bearings, Steering rack Gaiter & Rust (duh!) Bearings not bad, the gaiter was an **** mainly due to the trackrod locking nut being incredibly seized on.... rust got someone else to do as i never wleded in my life yet Got it through though!

oh and the latest rust, thought it was a small bubble of surface rust, turns out its a hole right the way through both skins!! :cry:
i wonder what its going to throw up next.

Right ill have some photos up shortly of what i done and keeping it up to date. I need to get them all together.

The general idea is to make this a good looking motor that has plenty of poke that i can get along with as my daily driver. Basically something like a DB7, nice looking GT car the goes like sh*t off a shovel!! lol

Opinions......... and Benn i know i know. remove the dragons, im planning too when i can get it into a bodyshop again. and its not getting a 2.0 16v turbo or anything bigger. thinking a 1.6 16v from a corsa GSI.......... but still will go down that road when i get there :D

Plug
01-04-09, 11:02 PM
pics will do more justace (sp?) than words

~~joycey~~
02-04-09, 02:42 AM
How dose it handle with the new set up mate? :)

novaguy08
02-04-09, 06:16 AM
NOt really sure joycey not given it a proper workout yet, will try to get some pics up tonight, need to upload them to photobucket & sort them out lol owned it for 18 months!! Ill give her a good workout and get photos up ASAP!

~~joycey~~
02-04-09, 03:02 PM
Oh right fair enuff mate, yeah get some pics up asap :thumb:

Just one more thing, take the dragon badges off there awful :wtf:

lol

novaguy08
02-04-09, 04:06 PM
Opinions......... and Benn i know i know. remove the dragons, im planning too when i can get it into a bodyshop again.

Way ahead of you Joycey lol

~~joycey~~
02-04-09, 04:09 PM
Way ahead of you Joycey lol

If you were that far ahead you would of already taken them off lol

Cle
02-04-09, 04:14 PM
Got any pics ??? sounds good :)

novaguy08
02-04-09, 08:13 PM
Have some pics, will be putting them up shortly.. like next post on here lol, and the dragons, i have a bit of a problem, not as easy as removing them mate, when i got the car painted the guys didnt entierly remove the backing (so it got painted over!) then they got glued back on, so now im going to have to re-paint the whole pillar!

Benn
02-04-09, 08:28 PM
Gonna say i wouldnt bother with polly bushes, i found they just make the car "crashy". Just fit new bushes.

Youyr taking the dragons off? Thank funk!

novaguy08
02-04-09, 08:29 PM
Right-o, now as everyone wants pictures here are what i have at the moment!

Right as i dont have any photos of when i got her, i think anywho, ill be digging through my hard-drive to see if i got anything earlier, But here she is ready for the body shop (well almost!)

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/Nova1.jpg

Here she is back from bodyshop & completly valeted! (nothing inside till i find it!)

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/nova2.jpg

LITTLE C*NTS!!! the sum total of the damage of an anonomous person reversing into my front bumper and knocking a corner of the filler i used to smooth the bumper!

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/DSC00042.jpg

Which means i had to do this:

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/DSC00084.jpg

And this:

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/DSC00085.jpg

But still after a mate of mine had GIVEN me a 1.6 Cam (i like free things :D) i got it in and it does make a little bit of a difference :D

Here it is before its in:

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/DSC00038.jpg

Here it is snugly inside its carrier :D took 8 hours to get in there due to a broken tool and having to wait for 2 hours or so to get to repair it!

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/DSC00037.jpg

Here is my half built SR gauge pod:

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/DSC00080.jpg

And here it is finished (thanks benn for that front cover, you really are a life saver!) with some nice blue-glow LED's

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/DSC00090.jpg

and something i got sitting in my garden to fit once i got a new ds wing on her

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/DSC00086.jpg

Ill get going through my drive and get a photo of how it stands now........ oh and if anyone wants to "dontate" some parts then i would be VERY happy :D (dont ask dont get!)
Still get back shortly with a needed list and more photos!

Benn
02-04-09, 08:29 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/bennh3/SC%20meets/novawithdave.jpg

One i took.

novaguy08
02-04-09, 08:41 PM
oh yeah :D forgot the ones on migweb! ta benn :D

7ova
02-04-09, 08:46 PM
keep up the good work fellla ;)

novaguy08
02-04-09, 08:57 PM
I indend to :D Just need money or some very kinda people to dontate bits lol but now i got some work going i can get some stuff :D

Next up parts required!!

novaguy08
02-04-09, 09:34 PM
Right, parts required;

in no particular order

OSF wing
ns & os rear arch repair panels
Front panel
Bonnet
F&R Anti roll bars
Polybush kit, for EVERYTHING lol
GSI Spoiler
New Backbox (as you can all see that the backbox is sticking out the bumper by about 6 inches or so as it doesnt fit due to being a pre cat one)
Engine (hmmmm which one?) & fitting kit
needs to be re-loomed as the old one seems to have been cut n shut once too offen
clear rear lamps
Electric windows
Paint, lots of paint
rear panel (thanks to 2 rear ends in as many months!)
wheels & tyres (thinking Corsa ones and VERY good tyres)
brakes (Joycey - - for the fronts :D & GSI nova for the rears)
interiour (retrim or GSI?) GTE Looks like im buying Joyceys kit so long as its still good :D
stealth shelf & parcel shelf mounts
single wiper setup (home made or storm?)
new doors
Window surrounds (inside & out)
GSI master cylinder
Braided brake lines
Window tints
Sill repair panels
New long section GSI skirt (forget which side ATM)

so far im pretty sure thats it, please guys dont message me saying you have parts im after and getting me to make an offer, 1 i always offer low, 2 i dont always have any idea of what tha part is worth and 3 money issues, so im not buying anything at the moment....... spent my car budget so far for the month on new suspension, steering wheel and a "lights on" warning buzzer i dont have wiring for lol however if you have parts on here for sale post up here and when i have the money ill pm you to find out if its still availible.......
At least i know why the expression Nova is never mentioned, it turns out its the most BOG STANDARD one you can get lol i still shocked that she dont have any anti roll bars! :tard:

Gibbo
02-04-09, 09:34 PM
like the lights in clocks mate
keep up good work

novaguy08
02-04-09, 09:36 PM
Blue LED's got them from halfrauds and they not cheap but look sh*t hot in my eyes anywho

Gibbo
02-04-09, 09:37 PM
doors with Electric windows in. GSI Spoiler OSF wing
i got them

novaguy08
02-04-09, 09:39 PM
lol your kidding
got the loom for the windows & switches? what colour are all the panels?

Gibbo
02-04-09, 09:41 PM
mat black i got switches i think i got some of the loom but can make your own easy

novaguy08
02-04-09, 09:44 PM
Im uselss at wiring lol

Gibbo
02-04-09, 09:47 PM
2 wires to windows 4 on each switch (easy)

novaguy08
02-04-09, 09:49 PM
fuses, relays,ign live, juice?

dj_wudgey
02-04-09, 09:51 PM
looks good mate shame about your bumper but unfortunately these things happen!! keep up the work any way mate!!

novaguy08
02-04-09, 09:55 PM
Will do :D
wish i found the cnut so i could kick them repeatedly as it happens too offten to me!
anywho why do people always sell things i want/need when im out of cash! floating through ebay & there is loads of stuff on there that i could REALLY buy outright i could have knocked my parts required list in half tonight if i had a grand sat about!

SMEG!!!!!!!

Gibbo
02-04-09, 10:05 PM
i dident have relay when i made mine took a feed of ign live with a fuse
dont think thay have relays

novaguy08
02-04-09, 10:16 PM
ok just found that one out fromm mig, doesnt sound too hard to will have a crack on it another time when i got the money for it.

Gibbo
02-04-09, 10:27 PM
ok mate only want 30 for lot

novaguy08
02-04-09, 10:28 PM
wing doors and spoiler?
Only trouble is im pretty sure that it wont fit in postbox and rotherham is a LONG way away from southampton :(

Gibbo
02-04-09, 10:45 PM
ye mate i know :( its along way for some parts. you never know, some one will have them parts down where you live

~~joycey~~
03-04-09, 03:20 AM
OSF wing- Join the club lol
ns & os rear arch repair panels- Pass.
Front panel- I have one for sale
Bonnet- Pass.
F&R Anti roll bars- I have a rear one for sale
Polybush kit, for EVERYTHING- Look on ebay they do cheap orange sets
GSI Spoiler- Pass. (i have a GTE wrap around one for sale tho)
New Backbox- I have a couple for sale but not direct fit
Engine (hmmmm which one?) & fitting kit- Pass.
needs to be re-loomed as the old one seems to have been cut n shut once too offen- Pass.
clear rear lamps- Yes thanks lol
Electric windows- Pass.
Paint, lots of paint- Pass.
rear panel (thanks to 2 rear ends in as many months!)- Pass.
wheels & tyres (thinking Corsa ones and VERY good tyres)- I have a few random sets for sale
brakes (Joycey - - for the fronts :D & GSI nova for the rears)- I have GSI front calipers with grooved discs for sale
interiour (retrim or GSI?)- I have a almost mint GTE interior for sale and also a a red SRI interior for sale
New carpets (Black)- Dye your old ones thats wot im going to do :thumb:
Black dash- Spray it thats wot im going to do with mine
black roof lining?- Pass.
stealth shelf & parcel shelf mounts- Make one its easy :)
single wiper setup (home made or storm?)- Citreon ax/zx setup mate :thumb:
new doors- I sold a mint one on sunday :(
Window surrounds (inside & out)- Pass.
GSI master cylinder- Pass.
Braided brake lines- Pass.
Window tints- Pass.
Sill repair panels- I have a drivers side one for sale

Hope this helps :thumb: Aslo thought i'd say all the stuff i have as it would be gay if you went and bouth summin and had it posted to you ect when it was right on your doorstep :cool:

novaguy08
03-04-09, 07:00 AM
see what i mean by people have ones for sale when i got no money? lol
didnt know you had the wrap around one, how much is that one? and "almost mint" I guess it has drivers seat bolster wear then, like they all do? I am debating on whether to spray they dash, only trouble is that with it being soft material i would need vynil paint and something to fill i could of holes. that front panel is it the whole front end? both parts? I knOW about those brakes, lol, think ill be buying them next month mate :D

Benn
03-04-09, 08:07 AM
I bet i can get most of them pannels...

Benn
03-04-09, 08:19 AM
OSF wing- Join the club, Most pannel places will sell them.
ns & os rear arch repair panels- Pass. Same again
Front panel- I have one for sale. Same again.
Bonnet- Pass. And again
F&R Anti roll bars- I have a rear one for sale. I have a front
Polybush kit, for EVERYTHING- Look on ebay they do cheap orange sets. Wouldnt bother, fit new gm ones.
GSI Spoiler- Pass. (i have a GTE wrap around one for sale tho) Just look in for sale they pop up all the time.
New Backbox- I have a couple for sale but not direct fit. www.turing.co.uk (http://www.turing.co.uk)
Engine (hmmmm which one?) & fitting kit- Pass.
needs to be re-loomed as the old one seems to have been cut n shut once too offen- Pass.
clear rear lamps- Yes thanks. For sale forums, theres a set on mig for sale.
Electric windows- Pass. Scrappy or fs
Paint, lots of paint- Pass. Save up and get it done.
rear panel (thanks to 2 rear ends in as many months!)- Pass. If you cant tell from the out side leave it.
wheels & tyres (thinking Corsa ones and VERY good tyres)- I have a few random sets for sale. Look on corsa sport if you really want corsa rims.
brakes (Joycey - - for the fronts :D & GSI nova for the rears)- I have GSI front calipers with grooved discs for sale. Fit 256mm brakes all round, they are very cheap and easy to find from scrappys.
interiour (retrim or GSI?)- I have a almost mint GTE interior for sale and also a a red SRI interior for sale. Buy and fit the gte one from joycey.
New carpets (Black)- Dye your old ones thats wot im going to do. Leave them grey.
Black dash- Spray it thats wot im going to do with mine. Leave it grey.
black roof lining?- Pass. Leave it alone, trust me.
stealth shelf & parcel shelf mounts- Make one its easy. Buy one or make it.
single wiper setup (home made or storm?)- Citreon ax/zx setup mate. Leave it alone.
new doors- I sold a mint one on sunday :( Watch the fs theres allways doors going.
Window surrounds (inside & out)- Pass. Insides? Again watch fs they come up all the time for outers.
GSI master cylinder- Pass. Again fs.
Braided brake lines- Pass. Buy them new. Not that much.
Window tints- Pass. Dont.
Sill repair panels- I have a drivers side one for sale. Buy joyceys then buy one from a pannel shop.

My replys in blue.

Ernie
03-04-09, 08:41 AM
I have a gsi spoiler that has been sprayed orange lol.
You should of said before i came down the other week as it could of been a donatian mate.
I will save it for you or give it to benn.
Are you going to combe on the 25th as i could take it there mate.

novaguy08
03-04-09, 12:24 PM
I doubt ill be a combe right now..... still needs plenty of work before i start going to proper shows.
Benn, thought that you said not to fit rear discs as they made the pedal flopy and were a waste or time? 256's they're 2.0 16v ones aint they? There are never any novas in scrappies with electric windows. Im actually bidding on some clear rears on ebay at the moment, if that fails then maybe the ones from mig. going to deffo save up for paint as quite simply, im not going to do it myself again!! tried that with the front wing when i first got her, several shipments of fail later i orginized the bodyshop....... last one was free (didnt even pay for paint!!) but i know for a bare shell spray its going to be about a grand! The rear panel you can tell if i remove the washers spacing the gap for the rear bumper.
Bann & Joycey, how much you want for your ARB's?
Ernie, thanks mate :D are all the bolts in place still??
Will get back to you all tonight im working for a change :D

novaguy08
03-04-09, 04:46 PM
Benn who selling the clear rears?
eBay went to 40 notes :(

Rysee
03-04-09, 05:42 PM
I have some corsa gsi wheels good tyres

~~joycey~~
03-04-09, 07:02 PM
Dunno how much for the rear ARB mate were work summin out

GTE interior has NO bolster wear, has just been in my shed for 4 years so just needs a good valeting i think :)

Make sure you take ernie up on his offer nath :D

novaguy08
03-04-09, 07:36 PM
lol plan on it :D
Rysee what condition are they in and how much you want? when you say good tyres, good tread/pattern?
Joycey, what colour the interior? quite interested in that should it be very good lol

novaguy08
03-04-09, 07:40 PM
Oh anyone got a good way of getting grease out of upholstry? when i changed the sterring wheel i managed to get grease on the passengers seat,

~~joycey~~
03-04-09, 07:42 PM
Oh anyone got a good way of getting grease out of upholstry? when i changed the sterring wheel i managed to get grease on the passengers seat,

Yeah buy my gte interior that will get it out :D Do you not know wot a gte interior looks like then? Grey with stripes down the middle?

Rysee
03-04-09, 07:44 PM
lol plan on it :D
Rysee what condition are they in and how much you want? when you say good tyres, good tread/pattern?
Joycey, what colour the interior? quite interested in that should it be very good lol

Pm'd

~~joycey~~
03-04-09, 08:29 PM
Suspenion swap day on wed :thumb:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/grimgriffin/Mk1%205-Door%20Nova/01042009069.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/grimgriffin/Mk1%205-Door%20Nova/01042009068.jpg

:D

Benn
03-04-09, 08:46 PM
I doubt ill be a combe right now..... still needs plenty of work before i start going to proper shows.
Benn, thought that you said not to fit rear discs as they made the pedal flopy and were a waste or time? 256's they're 2.0 16v ones aint they? There are never any novas in scrappies with electric windows. Im actually bidding on some clear rears on ebay at the moment, if that fails then maybe the ones from mig. going to deffo save up for paint as quite simply, im not going to do it myself again!! tried that with the front wing when i first got her, several shipments of fail later i orginized the bodyshop....... last one was free (didnt even pay for paint!!) but i know for a bare shell spray its going to be about a grand! The rear panel you can tell if i remove the washers spacing the gap for the rear bumper.
Bann & Joycey, how much you want for your ARB's?
Ernie, thanks mate :D are all the bolts in place still??
Will get back to you all tonight im working for a change :D

I did, dont fit rear disc, its a show only thing and havent said about that.
256mm are any big block Cav, Cally, Astra.

Silverlake has a lux in a while back that had it all, i know i took the switches.

Fenix has them, see here.
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/items-sale/393232-nova-clear-rear-clusters.html

If you cant tell with the bumper in place, just leave it alone. (rear pannel) Can you see the damage from the inside?

You might aswell have the arb, not real use to me.

novaguy08
03-04-09, 10:00 PM
cool, ill PM you on mig :D
I was at silverlake a couple days ago, didnt have a white luxe i could see? only a light blue 5-door one, will have a hunt about again tomorrow. ill find out how much the brakes will cost then.
thanks for the info guys all a great help :D
Joycey i would happily buy it from you however im skint! well i say that it depends on what you want for it!

Benn
04-04-09, 07:41 AM
Read that again, i said a while back. Its not there now, and wasnt white..lol

Benn
04-04-09, 07:41 AM
Take that sh*tty dragon things off too, like now...

novaguy08
04-04-09, 02:03 PM
yup realized that shortly after i closed my laptop down lol
I will take them down when i got time and effort to paint the pillars! (and when the missus is at work as she REALLY likes them for some unknown reason!)
also small update, not changing the b.box till i can afford a full system (IE when the new engine goes in so a couple years or so!) as i got some "gun gum" exhast repair which im going to use for a while. and finnally got some silicone spray for the window and it works a treat, also good for my altenator bearings which make a bloody racket! and ill 'ave the interior that joycey has if your ok to wait till friday as discussed mate :D

Benn
04-04-09, 07:02 PM
Just pull them off, hot water will leave save the paint.

~~joycey~~
04-04-09, 07:18 PM
ill 'ave the interior that joycey has if your ok to wait till friday as discussed mate :D

Yeah thats not a problem :thumb:

Take the dragons off :wtf: :roll:

lol

novaguy08
05-04-09, 11:33 AM
Have some pics, will be putting them up shortly.. like next post on here lol, and the dragons, i have a bit of a problem, not as easy as removing them mate, when i got the car painted the guys didnt entierly remove the backing (so it got painted over!) then they got glued back on, so now im going to have to re-paint the whole pillar!

the dragons will be no-more need to remove the paint to get the rest of the backing off, and they got glued back on rather then using self adhesive stuff, if i just remove them then im going to be pulling paint off at then i need to get rid of the self adhesive stuff left behind before the re-spray, which is obviously now under a couple layers of paint.
So they will come off when i can be bothered to paint them, and either find some rattle cans or get someone to re-paint them, im thiniking to get the whole thing done againb eventually after i put some repaint pannels in, saving up for it shortly!

novaguy08
05-04-09, 11:43 AM
Ill give the ol' girl a wash (and then the car lol) and try to get a couple of pitcures of how she standing at the moment, Benn how much is a OS rear arch repair pannel?
Checklist for fitting repair pannels:
Learn to weld
Find a welder
lol

~~joycey~~
05-04-09, 12:04 PM
the dragons will be no-more need to remove the paint to get the rest of the backing off, and they got glued back on rather then using self adhesive stuff, if i just remove them then im going to be pulling paint off at then i need to get rid of the self adhesive stuff left behind before the re-spray, which is obviously now under a couple layers of paint.
So they will come off when i can be bothered to paint them, and either find some rattle cans or get someone to re-paint them, im thiniking to get the whole thing done againb eventually after i put some repaint pannels in, saving up for it shortly!

Yeah was gonna say mate if you going to fit new panels and de rust it then i'd just wait and get it sprayed again :thumb:

novaguy08
05-04-09, 12:09 PM
yeah i thinks that before MOT time im going to have some serious cash saved up to do the whole smeggin thing and MOT time is sept so i thinks i need to get saving!!
its either that or buy fibreglass ones to avoid rot forevermore

Benn
05-04-09, 12:14 PM
Off hand no clue, will find out tomoz if i remember.

novaguy08
05-04-09, 12:46 PM
cool ta bud, when can i collect that arb mate?

novaguy08
06-04-09, 06:07 PM
Right, my blood really boiling now, went into my garden today to try to give my GSI skirts a clean up and try to remove some of the primer i put on them which is flaking off (didnt use plasti primer!) found that something has chewed a corner off of one of the long sections!! so now i need to get a new one..... so thats going to be added to the list!!

~~joycey~~
06-04-09, 06:23 PM
Sorry but lol

novaguy08
06-04-09, 06:58 PM
:mad: :wtf: :cry:
that really has hacked me off!!
still, back to earth, im still looking for more photos and i should have some more up shortly!

Benn
06-04-09, 08:05 PM
Just repair it.

novaguy08
06-04-09, 09:21 PM
i would but there is a corner missing........... got no idea where its gone!

Benn
06-04-09, 09:27 PM
Fiber glass it, build up the corner.
Or ask me nice to see if i can make a corner vai plastic welding a bit in..

novaguy08
06-04-09, 09:35 PM
ill get you a photo tomorrow and see if you can do anything with it and be a very very nice person to weld a nice bit of plastic in there for me :D

novaguy08
07-04-09, 08:08 PM
still not got that photo! will get it when the new seats go in there, should be this weekend so long as im paid ok

~~joycey~~
07-04-09, 09:43 PM
Glad we sorted your parcel shelf out :D

novaguy08
08-04-09, 06:41 AM
me too! its much quieter now too! made a fookin awful noise whilst driving along! still, now its done :D till i put some proper mk2 stuff in there :D

novaguy08
09-04-09, 06:25 PM
Right had a little tinker with something today, got an Octane plug from breakers yard (brown one which is 95/98) and a tank of super unleaded switched it over and now waiting for the old stuff to flow out keep the higher octane coming
Its better but not by miles!

Benn
09-04-09, 06:26 PM
lol you wont notice a thing.

novaguy08
10-04-09, 10:02 AM
tbh i have noticed she got quicker, not by much but tbh i think that the redex has done tis job, i know that she is quicker, tested it on a 60 limit last night i know that she usualy hits about 50 on a measured road near me (has hump back bridge on it which is what i mean by measured) and it was hitting 60odd mph by the time i hit the bridge so its a small 10odd mph gain but its still a gain :D

Plug
10-04-09, 12:13 PM
the redex would have cleaned the engine out and made it more responsive.

tbh i wouldnt waste the extra pennys on high octaine and save the pennys for a bigger engine if your going down that route

novaguy08
10-04-09, 01:44 PM
well the higher octane gives a better bang, and with the right ocane plug (the 98 one) it will give the right the right timing and a small amount of extra go go, however i only redexed her a few months ago (back when petrol prices were sencible!!) so i doubt that she would have gunged up that much! not only that but she never hit 60 on the road im on about and i had to lift or i would have hit 70 by the time i got there! still i dunno if there i a difference that can really be spoken of, but im happy with the results (not blowing it up!)

~~joycey~~
10-04-09, 03:38 PM
well the higher octane gives a better bang, and with the right ocane plug (the 98 one) it will give the right the right timing and a small amount of extra go go, however i only redexed her a few months ago (back when petrol prices were sencible!!) so i doubt that she would have gunged up that much! not only that but she never hit 60 on the road im on about and i had to lift or i would have hit 70 by the time i got there! still i dunno if there i a difference that can really be spoken of, but im happy with the results (not blowing it up!)

If your chuffed with it then fair play mate :thumb:

novaguy08
10-04-09, 04:04 PM
bet yo all think im simple sometimes lol

novaguy08
11-04-09, 02:55 PM
ahem, surprised that no-one managed to get the cheap and obvious shot in there lol
Still, I was thinking through my choises as a "donor" car for when i decide to change the engine, want to really use a C16XE, so would either have to use an early Corsa GSI 16v (well that would be expencive!!) or a Tigra 1.6, base model some berk has wrapped around a tree or something, i gots some head scratching to do!
In the meantime today i blocked off an annoying oil leak thats been going on for a while, changed the sump plug & washer over so far so good, chucked in a half litre of Castrol Magnetech 10W-40 and just need to get myself another dipstick (another shot for those on the ball :D) as i got a corsa 1.4 one in there, before anyone mentions, it appears to be different in length. seen that the sump gasket seems to be leaking a bit, but i cba to take the exhaust apart to change it right now so it'll be left as is for now. Now i gotta think about the repairs, debating on getting some fibreglass wide arch bits and getting a mate to fit them for me, but first im going to need to remove the paint from the bumpers, im thinking chemicly so im going to pop to B&Q to pick something up, any suggestions?

~~joycey~~
11-04-09, 10:23 PM
Why do you need to remove the paint from the bumpers :confused:

novaguy08
11-04-09, 10:51 PM
its not plasti primer, so its pealing, if i remove it then i can start again with right paints.

~~joycey~~
11-04-09, 10:55 PM
Urmmmmm white spirit or some type of thinners?

novaguy08
11-04-09, 10:58 PM
yeah going to use some proper paint remover, there about half dozen layers of paint :(

novaguy08
17-04-09, 09:42 AM
Right, i been under the bonnet a few hours each day to try to figure out the rattle i got going on in the engine. People have told me that its pinking due to over fueling pulled the plugs out yesterday to find them all near perfect, apart from one, with a bit of a deposit on there. upon reading the good ol haynes it says that there is either a problem with the valve guides, idling for long periods of times, or upper head lube, seeing as the other 2 seem that they will cause more problems, and symptoms i would suggest that the inlet valve guide is worn out, causing the vlave not to seat properly. :( so now i need to kknow what im going to do either swap out the engine or head, think ill be giving the insurance company a call today and find out how much more ill have to be paying for putting a bigger engine in there. then try to figure out which one to use! cos if i have the head off im going to be tempted to do some mroe tinkering and as people have told me several times there is no point in putting money into the 1.2 as you will never really see more then a 100hp out the engine and then thats if you put loadsa cash into it! Which i dont have :( Still im hoping to be off to the DIY shoppe today to get some paint stripper and get those bumpers back to the normal grey colour, then ill need to get some plasti primer and a mate to paint them

novaguy08
17-04-09, 10:37 PM
getting away from the engine (and dispite it seems that noone reads this anymore lol even though im sure that you do) Joycey supplied me with some lovley GTE seats which need a little spucing up and me to get some 60/40 mounts sorted out & fag burns tidied up they are in fairly good nick, going to be wet vacced tomorrow and the fronts are going to be going in. Ill be getting some pictures up soon as i can :D didnt get paint stripper sorted today will be another day now probs next week as ill be getting some other bits too i hope!

novaguy08
18-04-09, 02:19 PM
Right the front have been cleaned and been put in, i got some photos to put up which will be done later on today then :D

novaguy08
19-04-09, 04:11 PM
photos of progress :D

As you know Joycey was kind enough to supply me with a full set of GTE seats
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P100409_1113.jpg

so i bought them bagged them up and left them outside overnight (as i have no storage!) give them a clean in the morning :D

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P180409_0938.jpg

the one on the left is cleaned with wetvac & still wet the right one not touched yet
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P180409_1011.jpg

Here they are both nice and clean
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P180409_1026.jpg

took the subframes off (thought that they could bolt on to the subframes on my current seats.... oh how stupid of me!)
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P180409_1308_02.jpg

Got the drivers seat out and then found out that they dont have subframes and the seat just bolts to the floor and the runners are part of the securing
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P180409_1308.jpg

so i did this
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P180409_1347.jpg
Turns out it just hooks into the old runners and bolts into the floor!!

bolted drivers seat to subframe and voila!
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P180409_1328.jpg
Drivers seat in :D comfey :D

Now on with the passengers seat :cry:
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P180409_1406.jpg
In quicker tho as i didnt have to work out how to get it in!!

So now the fronts are clean (drying STILL) i just need floor brackets for the rears and away i go :D

novaguy08
19-04-09, 04:13 PM
can no-one make a point of the mess or the photographic inconsitancies please :D

novaguy08
19-04-09, 04:22 PM
Today being rather bored I decided to attempt to fix the fuel gauge..... as i run outa petrol in the red light distric earlier this week whilst driving thru, (scary ****!) and i was just driving thru thanks to all those whom are about to comment on that!!
so here we go pod out!
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P190409_1446.jpg

Fuel gauge out
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P190409_1452.jpg

Thought i took a pic of something but obviously didnt, but those little yellow boxes on the back there seem to adjust the gauge so i fine tuned them and them seem to have made a difference, please however if i done something daft please let me know and ill take it apart again!!

Still back to what i was doing!!
tinkering
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P190409_1446_01.jpg
Back in and seems to work ok(ish!)
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/mighty_mechanic2009/P190409_1443.jpg

~~joycey~~
20-04-09, 04:15 PM
Looks like they cleaned up alright mate, just need sitting in now to flatten them out a bit :D

novaguy08
20-04-09, 05:27 PM
They have done :D
just going to have to save up to get some recaro badges and a re-trim
quite surprised really, didnt know people were still reading this lol

Quick note for today i changed fuel filter, and the next time that someone tells you they dont need to be done everyso offten kick them, i changed mine today and it was ancient, emptied the petrol out of it and it come out BLACK sounding like it was full of sand!!

novaguy08
20-04-09, 05:28 PM
i like the 3rd photo down, shows how filty they were lmao, should have taken a photo of the colour of the fluid coming out of them!!

~~joycey~~
21-04-09, 04:10 AM
emptied the petrol out of it and it come out BLACK sounding like it was full of sand!!

lol

novaguy08
21-04-09, 07:49 AM
yeah summint like that!
Oh those headrests aint from a Nova mate, they cavi ones :D

novaguy08
27-04-09, 09:20 PM
Riiiiigggghtttyyy then as i not updated for a few days i thought i would list a small to-do list

Change head gasket (as i think its gone :()
tidy up the head whilst its off
Remove Centre exhaust box
De-Cat (going to use a CAT box and gut it!)
Speak to the insurance company and find out how much an engine conversion will cost me thru them
if all else fails start hitting things with hammer & spanners

Might post up see if i can get myself some loaned equipment!

Benn
27-04-09, 09:24 PM
Why dont you save the money and fit a 1.3 or 1.4 from a early nova.

Save doing the hg and cat probs.

novaguy08
27-04-09, 09:26 PM
cos if i borrow a migwelder then it wont cost me anything bar metal!
aaaannndddd i dont want to do 2 engine conversions tbh, want to keep the 1.2i in there till i can get myself a C/X16XE which btw i cant afford to do & dont wanna do till i get the shell sorted out

novaguy08
05-05-09, 09:20 PM
I took a step back today and looked at what i need to do to get it ready for its engine conversion & what i would like it to be, and its too much......... the shell is getting very very tired & there is more new metal in the bodywork then there is original, the mechanicals are a bit of a joke, trying to keep the engine good is an uphill strugle and i can afford to get myself another one at the moment, so I have decided that project expression needs to be laid to rest............. im on the prowell for another Nova, one has been spotted in woking and im going to be having a look tomorrow, Project sx?? lets see :D

AlexW
05-05-09, 09:25 PM
Most novas have more replaced metal than orignal, id just stick with it....

Oh and you complan about cost of the car but fitting a 1600 isnt going to be any better, just look at the effort everyone has gone through with them....

novaguy08
05-05-09, 10:13 PM
yeah thats all well and good AW, but right now the clutch has just gone, the engine needs a new head gasket, valve guides(?), pretty sure that CAT is knackered, the fuel gauge is doing my nut in as i cant get it to work the way its supposed to, there is loads of new metal that i NEED to put INTO it, the rear bearings need doing AGAIN, the suspension piinks every time i pull off, the back end is loose (rear beam bushes?) dude the list is endless, im unemployed & my missus is having a baby in 2 months, i need my car to stay on the road to do all this im looking at £1000's BEFORE i put another engine in there! keeping up with the maintainance of this one is just NOT possible for someone in my situation, so im getting another one.......... possibly tomorrow!

novaguy08
09-05-09, 08:20 PM
Right-o now i got my kiddy kart Astra im going to keep the Nova...... Unless i desperatly need money! so ill get cracking on removing the tax & engine as i spotted a VERY VERY clean C20SEH up silverlake in a dead calibra which i will be looking into & saving up for, but i need to learn to weld first, so if anyone knows how to and has a migwelder they can get down to mine to show me how to use then i would be eternally greatful!! :D so good news all round! well apart from needing money to purchase said seh lmao :D

but now i need to figure out what im going to do with it, i mean i got 2 options, head for a decent cruser showy car, or track slag it? No doubt track slagging it would be easier Quicker & cheaper, apart from the fabrication on the cage but i dont wanna just have something for the weekend & a kiddy kart.......... my head is bloody & sore from the scratching............... opinions please ladies and gents :D

novaguy08
25-05-09, 05:19 PM
right,

Nothing has happened here but i thought i would just post up to let you all know that pretty much nothing has happened to the nova right now apart from me finding a rattlecan of Cosmos blue paint, so im going to get the annoying little bits of body work sorted out till i can start replacing pannels!

speaking of which if anyone got a cosmos blue bonnet & osf wing that just paying about ill take it off ya hands :D just PM me!

Still with the mechanics im going to change the clutch at the next oppertunity i have, and im going to be putting my F10/5 gearbox in there at the same time.

Sorry that nothing has happened but i been trying to polish up my Astra (white p-reg car thats never seen a spong in its lifetime!!) and make that look half decent, but now thats finished when the weather picks up a bit ill be cracking on with the Nova as my heart still lies with that one :D

So never fear she will live again shortly!!

Benn
25-05-09, 06:07 PM
Whats up with the clutch? And replascement pannels? Didnt look rotten.

novaguy08
25-05-09, 06:15 PM
Ello benn,

Nice to see a Nova god looking at a poor naves project lol

no the cars not rotten, apart from on the osr arch but the osf wing is a REALLY bad pattern that just too big & dispite getting a mate of mine who owns a bodyshop to allign it it still dont fit right!! and the bonnet looks like its been jumped all over (mainly as it has been!)

The clutch isn't coming off the floor (not remeber me asking about it a while ago!)so i think that the bolt that holds the fork on to the spindle is missing or the spring plate is knackered...... either way i gots a nice new LUK clutch to go in there along with my F10/5 which i been dying to test out!

Dont ssuppose there is any chance you could pop over mine & weld a lil plate in my rear arch is there?? lol Teach me to weld a bit too as i really could do with learning!

Benn
25-05-09, 06:34 PM
Ah right, didnt look like it fitted that bad, but i didnt really look that well.
Changing the box is a few hours job, you could have done it today.

I would, but with my welder my welding isnt the best, so no.

novaguy08
25-05-09, 06:37 PM
I could have but i been moving the bedroom about to get it ready for the baby.

Im heading to littlehampton for most of next week so im not going to have time to do it till the weekend, so itll be sunday before i get it done, then thats if its not raining.

Ok then ill see if my bodyshop matey will do it cheap for me.

Benn
25-05-09, 06:58 PM
Oh yeah babys... There gos your car fund and fun.

novaguy08
25-05-09, 09:32 PM
nah, got 2 kids already mate, keep me plenty busy :D

dont mean that i cant have both!

Benn
25-05-09, 09:34 PM
2 all ready? Funk me get a hobbie.

novaguy08
25-05-09, 09:36 PM
lmao

yup, on my 3rd one got 2 boys an 1 girl on the way :D

My hobbie is the Nova :D unfortunatly no job = no funds = no parts = no work on the nova :(

Benn
25-05-09, 09:41 PM
Do free jobs, leave ya mrs alone.... lol

novaguy08
25-05-09, 09:48 PM
lmao :D

wouldnt change my kids for anything though :D trust me when ya have your own, you will sell ya left ball just to keep them happy :D

Still back to topic cheap mods are what im doing at the moment, just to keep my spanner hands happy & for when i can get my insurance company to put the whole "drive another car with permission from the owner" thing on there! so i can drive it agian :D

Benn
25-05-09, 10:10 PM
Erm it doesnt work like that, the car you wanna drive (the other persons) must have atleast third party on it.

novaguy08
25-05-09, 10:22 PM
burger! :(

Never mind, will have to wait till renewal time before i can drive it agian >:(
either that or have a word see if i cant get it added to my policy once its sorted!