PDA

View Full Version : can any one help....

JO
15-01-03, 10:37 AM
hi ya everyone im new here and was just wondering if any one can help me with aproblem with my nova? Ive got this smoke coming out my steering wheel and was wondering if its serious... :lol:

Fester
15-01-03, 11:01 AM
its the car trying to tell you you should stay on your on own BBS

Chris LR
15-01-03, 11:07 AM
If theres nothing else wrong with the car and the smoke doesn't choke you I'd leave it. I can't really say anymore unless I know a bit more.

When does it happen? How think? What model of Nova is it?

neiloakley
15-01-03, 11:07 AM
need more detail. When does it come out? what does it smell off? Colour? Where exactly does it come from? what steering wheel you got?

match
15-01-03, 11:44 AM
have u took the centre cap off to make sure nothin is shortin out (horn wires connecting together) melting the plastic

neiloakley
15-01-03, 11:46 AM
if anything was shorting out, the horn would sound. The outer wire is a live, and the centre bolt is the earth (via the horn)

match
15-01-03, 11:55 AM
never thought about that! ine went off 4 ages when the connector dropped off

novax
15-01-03, 05:06 PM
Rather sounds like a wiring fault in the steering wheel coul around the control stalks to me.

Manta Mad
15-01-03, 07:12 PM
I had a similar 'smokin' problem with an Astra. The connector switch on the back of the ignition barrell was shorting and causing smoke - think there was some grease inside it.

Wonder if the same could be happening here and as smoke rises, it might be exiting around the steering wheel. Just a theory but you nver know. Other wise only electrics in that area would be horn or the indicator/light stalks.

neiloakley
16-01-03, 08:17 AM
just take the shroud off around the steering column and then turn the ignition on. See where it comes from and go from there

mikeoxford
16-01-03, 08:34 AM
was this a wind up fiesta girl!?

neiloakley
16-01-03, 08:36 AM
i was kinda thinking the same thing as she aint been back since.

mikeoxford
16-01-03, 12:02 PM
dont worry she is known to micky and breeny etc ;)

if its the right jo anyway :?

she ent come on to abuse us - i dont think!!! :wink:

neiloakley
16-01-03, 12:04 PM
oh yeah?

JO
10-02-03, 12:33 PM
Hi its the fiesta girl hear!!
Ive checked the steering wheel had it all apart, theres no sign of anything burnt out and everything works so i havnt a clue.

It started few weeks back for two days it smelt like burning rubber then smoke started pouring out. Havnt been using it resently a garage told me not to use as it could burst into flames but thought id see if its anything obvious first

Cheers :D

Chris LR
10-02-03, 04:01 PM
Get the Garage to put it right.

Does it come from the black cover around stalks/colum? Or directly out of the front of the wheel itself?