PDA

View Full Version : Petrol in a Deisel Volvo S80 D5

chimp007_uk
01-04-09, 12:50 PM
Right, just had a phone call from a mate, his car was written off so has borrowed his dad's deisel Volve s80 D5 and put £10 of petrol in it, then relaised 2mles down the road, so filled it up with deisel...

I said he needs to drain the tank and refill with deisel, preferably changing the filter.

Whats peoples opinions?

Also to drain, is it a case of removing the inlet to the filter / injectors and turnign the car over?

Cheers All!!

Chris

Pistol Pete
01-04-09, 12:51 PM
he has started it and drove it 2 miles. Oh dear...new engine time, mr diesel does not like mr petrol.

Nice april fool BTW lol

brainsnova
01-04-09, 12:53 PM
petrol in a diesel isnt bad like diesel in a petrol.

chimp007_uk
01-04-09, 12:56 PM
ha ha ha... This isn't an April Fool... he has had a coutesy car for 2weeks, an his new car isn't ready so had to borrow his parents.

I know petrol isn;t good for diesel's... I know it needs the diesel for lubrication etc

I just need some info on the bet way of draining the tank!

chimp007_uk
01-04-09, 12:57 PM
petrol in a diesel isnt bad like diesel in a petrol.

When i worked in aJap Perfomance garae after uni, we had a skyline in that had run diesel in it... Melted 3 pistons and shot another out the block. Good times lol

Pistol Pete
01-04-09, 12:58 PM
Piece of tube and start sucking lol My mate put diesel in his Nova once, pulled the rubber hose of that feeds into the tank and let it drain out across the car park of the services we were in :eek:

chimp007_uk
01-04-09, 12:59 PM
Piece of tube and start sucking lol My mate put diesel in his Nova once, pulled the rubber hose of that feeds into the tank and let it drain out across the car park of the services we were in :eek:

Haha...

I'm not doing that acros my drive! I was thinking they must have an electronic fuel pump so could disconnect the pipe and pump it out!

brainsnova
01-04-09, 01:00 PM
there might be a drain plug on the volvo tank. but if not take the pipes of the tank as at the inlet is under pressure from the fuel pump.

amggsi
01-04-09, 01:06 PM
Fill her up with derv again and drive on!!

I used to put a wee drop of petrol in my 306 D turbo from time to time, give it a bit of a clean out, and it went a bit better too!!!

Spudly
01-04-09, 01:13 PM
If he has brimmed it with diesel now then he should get away with it as he will have diluted the petrol with diesel so it shouldnt cause any problems, ive done this with my cav before, was chatting to my mate who was filling up at the pump in front of me and absent mindedly put petrol in it, brimmed it with derv and on i went:thumb:

paul james
01-04-09, 01:23 PM
Diesel cars run fine on petrol, the myth that they don't is all a conspiracy by the evil diesel companies trying to take down the poor peace loving petrol industry. Tell your mate to fill up with petrol from now on.

robertdevlin69
01-04-09, 01:32 PM
it should be fine my mate has a petrol car and a derv van he regulary screws up and puts petrol in the van,just tell him to fill it to the brim with diesel should be fine

dj_wudgey
01-04-09, 05:42 PM
When i worked in aJap Perfomance garae after uni, we had a skyline in that had run diesel in it... Melted 3 pistons and shot another out the block. Good times lol

ohh yes lol bet he was ****ing gutted he'd put it in lol

Lee
01-04-09, 05:48 PM
Im not sure where everyone is getting the idea that derv in a petrol engine is worse than petrol in a derv engine. All diesel in a petrol engine will do normally is smoke like feck, possibly kill the cat and maybe clog the injectors depending on how much you put in. A small drop of derv is actually good for an old pre cat carb engine. The skyline mentioned above probably clogged up the injectors, ran lean and popped :)

Petrol in a derv, on the other hand, can be uber catastrophic. Diesels run uber high compression, you can work out the rest yourself!

a tenners worth amongst a full tank shouldnt do it any harm, especially on a turbo diesel, but if you CAN drain the tank, I would!

General Baxter
01-04-09, 05:50 PM
cant be any worse then what iv put in my derv lol

when you see a batter bit floating in the filter you have to start asking questions lol

Spudly
01-04-09, 05:57 PM
cant be any worse then what iv put in my derv lol

when you see a batter bit floating in the filter you have to start asking questions lol

Yeah can i have a large cod and chips and fill the troll up out back too, cheers:thumb:lol

valvercorsa
01-04-09, 06:07 PM
my mam once rung me and she had put petrol into her diesel astra, dad was going mad because i told him that he had to fill it up with diesel to dilute the petrol lol smoked abit and sometimes hasitated but was ok :)

chimp007_uk
01-04-09, 06:08 PM
Cheers guys...

Had a nightmare of an afternoon... We bought a "jiggle" syphoner lol And w****d the fuel out of the tank. Got 30litres out, filled up with diesel, added some cleaner. Then blead the filter and injectors and jobs a goody!

Thanks for all your help!

The skyline had detonation, the pistons were pitted with holes. The guy who owned it went a bought the cheapest "chromed bling" engine you could find. We fitted it and then it had a knock... What a tool!

General Baxter
01-04-09, 06:24 PM
can i buy the pertol discounted rate ? lol

chimp007_uk
01-04-09, 06:28 PM
you mean diesrol? lol

General Baxter
01-04-09, 06:30 PM
you mean diesrol? lol

its still flammable, iv got some mafia business in atherstone to clear up lol

chimp007_uk
01-04-09, 06:32 PM
Dunno, its pretty diesel smelling, haven't flame tested it...

mowgli
01-04-09, 10:27 PM
my sister in law filled an almost empty (last shape) bmw engined diesel range rover with unleaded. it got a mile, then conked. we towed it into the workshop & over the pit. I rigged the common rail diesel pressure pump to a battery & drained the lot out (£70 ish worth) and we stuck 5 gallons back in. then reconnected everything. it ran sweet as a new un. that same week, in a newspaper, it was going on about people knackering up bmw diesel engines with petrol & it costing an average of £3k to fix. I wrote to them pointing out that it was bollocks & if a real mechanic had been sent to do the job, he would have fixed it for less than a ton. in arctic regions (north canada, alaska, russia finland etc, they mix kerosene & other octane boosting substances in with the diesel to keep it liquid & make the engine run. the whole mixing thing is just a damned good money spinner.

Asa-James
01-04-09, 11:34 PM
so long as its now full of diesel i cant see a problem. i used to love the alfa's that came in on full tanks of petrol in diesels. my nova was the only car in the workshop that would burn the stuff...

Welshy
01-04-09, 11:46 PM
use redex for dervs and just drive it, i put 10s worth of unleadded in my dads sri vectra and realized then filled it with derv and 2 bottles of redex and its run alot better and it feels faster