PDA

View Full Version : Big Block / Small Altenator needed`

krobinson
31-03-09, 09:50 PM
The altenator is just touching my chassis leg cut out on boost. (c20let)

It's my own fault, I didnt make the cut out big enough. It's just clipping the edge closest to the bulkhead.

I've been looking at the SBD setup, but before I shell out £250 and want to know how much extra clearance it actually gives. I don't want to fit it and find out the pully still hits the chassis.

Hope someone can help.

Keith

R1CH
31-03-09, 11:03 PM
Could you not run a slightly shorter belt ?? local motor factor should be able to match one up, 5mm - 10mm shorter ??
Will be a bit tighter to get on but should go on ok.

Rich

krobinson
31-03-09, 11:21 PM
I'd thought about that but tbh even the standard one was a little tight to go on. However i'll give it a go before spending a fortune.

Anyone running a small alt?

BIGS
31-03-09, 11:24 PM
Have you thought about using a front mount altenator? Im sure you can use one from a swift

dumpycorsa
01-04-09, 12:56 AM
Im using a small alternator setup on my xe.Ive made it from bits and bobs but its very similar to the SBD setup using a 4v belt and their billet ally bottom pulley. Details of what I've used are on my project thread - http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107667&page=7

krobinson
01-04-09, 06:14 PM
Have you thought about using a front mount altenator? Im sure you can use one from a swift

There's no room with my my modifyed turbo inlet and intercooler pipes.

I've just bought an SBD one as a friend run's one on his XE nova without any chassis modification. Although he says it sits only a few MM from the chassis leg.

A standard alt would never clear, so this will sort it.

Keith

brucer
01-04-09, 07:12 PM
get some pics up once you have it fitted keith.

Rick Draper
01-04-09, 07:44 PM
Are you running solid engine mounts keith?

krobinson
01-04-09, 10:00 PM
Are you running solid engine mounts keith?

Rubber on the front and i've a competition mount on the rear gearbox mount. That takes the majority of the movement out of the engine and the two fronts keep it from vibrating too much.

I'll get some shots up once it's fitted, it's only 9.5cm accross, standard is 15cm! So should give better clearance.

Finally be able to RR it then.

JimmyH
01-04-09, 11:02 PM
I use a dynamo from a john deere lawnmower on my track Nova mounted at the front of the engine.
The site wont let me post a link so just google "john deere lawnmower dynamo"