PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump cuts out

sparkie1401
31-03-09, 06:00 PM
running XE lump

ignition on, fuel pump pressurises then on starting it quickly spluters and cuts out?

any ideas?

original car is a 1200cc SPI and has a toad A606 Cat1 alarm imobilser?

any one had this prob or can anyone shed sum light?

cheers

mowgli
31-03-09, 06:42 PM
are you installing this or is it a running car?

if you are installing it, then thats what they all do, when the starter turns & the engine fires, the pump kicks in again.

if it is already a runner, then it is most likely the pump has a fault

sparkie1401
31-03-09, 06:50 PM
are you installing this or is it a running car?

if you are installing it, then thats what they all do, when the starter turns & the engine fires, the pump kicks in again.

if it is already a runner, then it is most likely the pump has a fault

its already fitted, and the only way i can get it to run is giving it permanent feed from the ignition live but thios cause the pump to continuously pressurise as in its contantlt buzzing which aint right

mowgli
31-03-09, 07:01 PM
have you tried another pump relay?
the only other thing to try would be an ecu

craig green
31-03-09, 07:04 PM
The pump should run upon cranking, not prime with ign like a GTE does.
On an XE the likely culprits are the crank sensor which acts as a trigger for the pump or the fuel pump relay.

Try another pump relay or even try smacking it which can 'free' them up or dry it out in an airing cupboard overnight. If that doesnt help (assuming you also try a known working relay), look to the crank sensor....

Assume all the pump wiring is intact? (trace it back from the relay)

sparkie1401
31-03-09, 07:35 PM
have you tried another pump relay?
the only other thing to try would be an ecu

fitted a new fule pump relay
and i have 2 ecu's they do the same thing

sparkie1401
31-03-09, 07:39 PM
The pump should run upon cranking, not prime with ign like a GTE does.
On an XE the likely culprits are the crank sensor which acts as a trigger for the pump or the fuel pump relay.

Try another pump relay or even try smacking it which can 'free' them up or dry it out in an airing cupboard overnight. If that doesnt help (assuming you also try a known working relay), look to the crank sensor....

Assume all the pump wiring is intact? (trace it back from the relay)

the pump is a GTE/GSi nova unit, fuel pump relay is new

crank sensor is brand new?

when i turn the ignition on it is continously pressurissing, instead of stopin and running at a lower/less pressure when engine is turned over/cranked

i can check pump wiring but most is new and everything from ecu is wired up

AlexW
31-03-09, 09:16 PM
New dosnt always mean working!

ripley
01-04-09, 11:14 PM
hi mate i had the same prob when i turned the ignition on the pump would prim then go off crank the car over fuel pump was dead??? i found out that i had the wrong black sw/wire. it went live on ignition then not live on crank. so i found a sw/wire all good now. i thought that most of the black wires were sw/wires. hope this helps.