PDA

View Full Version : Front Anti Roll Bar

novaguy08
31-03-09, 05:51 PM
Hello people,

Quite simply, I belive i dont have a front Anti roll bar, but the front end rolls and the handling isnt great on there at the moment. Its a 1.2 expression on a K, Would like to know if i can retro-fit one and if its worth it...... before anyone mentions upgrading the rest of the suspension im already doing that with some 30 or 40 mm springs and adjusible shocks.

Thanks

Pistol Pete
31-03-09, 05:55 PM
Yes, i think you can fit an anti roll bar.

novaguy08
31-03-09, 05:59 PM
is it worth it? If so what Novas have them and will a corse one fit?

Southie
31-03-09, 05:59 PM
Yes you can get a arb from a sr, Sri, gte or Gsi as they at all the same.
If get hold of one be sure to change the bushes otherwise your steering will wander about, if there not upto scratch.

Edit: not sure about corsa ones!

mowgli
31-03-09, 06:25 PM
there are 3 different sizes, 18, 20, 22mm the corsa ones won't fit.

they are dead easy to fit, its about 8 small bolts & just clamps to the tie bars & before the 'rally' drivers try to talk you out of it, an ARB will really help with body roll on the road, whereas on a forest rally stage with slow corners maximum travel is needed & the ARB gets taken off

get hold of a rear one as well. it is a straight bar that bolts into the rear beam to stiffen it up.

Pistol Pete
31-03-09, 06:30 PM
I thought the ARB's were the same diameter and it was the tie rods that varied in size?

~~joycey~~
31-03-09, 06:33 PM
I have a rear ARB aswell as the other stuff your getting off me mate :)

mowgli
31-03-09, 06:34 PM
tie bars are all the same, they are more for locating the wheel than anything else. the diesels have more chance of having the thicker arb's apparently

Pistol Pete
31-03-09, 07:04 PM
IIRC tie bars are different diameters aswell. 20mm and 22mm. Hence 2 choices for the ARB bushes. Only diesels have thicker ARB's, the rest are the same.

novaguy08
31-03-09, 08:25 PM
I know that i got the rear ARB, thanks joycey, if the front one helps im going to be putting one on there soon as i can get the money for one! Im going to assume that the thicker the arb the better it will be at stopping body roll?
Me thinks im going to find a diesel nova and have that one if they are better......... hold up, is the suspension setup the same on the diesels as the petrols as iirc there are a few differences in the chassis or something.

novaguy08
31-03-09, 08:26 PM
Well mowgli good news is i dont intend on using my car for forest rallying lol so im getting one soon as i got the cash lol

Benn
31-03-09, 08:56 PM
I have one if you wanna buy it, but i dont have the mounting brackets.
You deffo want the biggest front and rear ones, new bushes will help. A goood shock and spring set up will help alot.

AlexW
31-03-09, 09:03 PM
The GSI tiebars are thicker too. 22mm. As the front ARB.

And when lowering cars with ARBs you might notice the front wheel lifting under corning. Due to the rear ARB not being strong enough.

mowgli
31-03-09, 09:17 PM
And when lowering cars with ARBs you might notice the front wheel lifting under corning. Due to the rear ARB not being strong enough.

that is more to do with finding the limitations of the suspension system than the arb. i am now going to upset a few folk, but over lowering a nova makes the handling crap unless you start playing with camber, castor, kpi etc and know what you are doing.....

Benn
31-03-09, 09:20 PM
that is more to do with finding the limitations of the suspension system than the arb. i am now going to upset a few folk, but over lowering a nova makes the handling crap unless you start playing with camber, castor, kpi etc and know what you are doing.....

Very true, bump streer and not getting the travel in the shochs can screw everything up.

John
Lol, king pin inclination! Haven't heard that for a while!

Tie bars differ in thickness too.

I ran my xe without an arb with no probs whatsoever.

Stuart
imho I dislike the nova ARB. I had a 1.2 on std suspension with no ARB, I then fitted one and the car was an understeery mess :(

its all personal preference, but dont spend tooo much money on it incase you dont like it

Benn
31-03-09, 09:22 PM
I ran my xe without an arb with no probs whatsoever.

Most do, they drive worse whenits a big block with them fitted.

mowgli
31-03-09, 09:32 PM
imho I dislike the nova ARB. I had a 1.2 on std suspension with no ARB, I then fitted one and the car was an understeery mess :(

its all personal preference, but dont spend tooo much money on it incase you dont like it

a 1.2's std suspension is based on ballpoint pen springs, so arb's will fail badly...

novaguy08
31-03-09, 09:42 PM
I know, im upgrading the suspension, just about to buy some nice kit (i hope lol) from Joycey, after I got some cash sorted out ill be getting a poly bush set and a decent arb & tie bars... but its cash sorting out
As far as understeering goes, it does it enough anyways! the back end swings about too so im going to upgrade much as possible on that soon as the cash comes! Right now im going to get the kit from joycey on there and concentrate on getting the rest of the breaking bits on there back to normal & working right.

novaguy08
31-03-09, 09:43 PM
Its a slow process due to slow income :(