PDA

View Full Version : Chip for 1.4i (SPi)

Manta Mad
14-01-03, 07:51 PM
Anyone know if there is a chip available for the ECU of a Nova 1.4i with single point injection, if so, what sort of difference in perfomance does it give?

Thanks

Aragorn
14-01-03, 10:49 PM
ive looked and come up blank

what you could try however is making it more powerful using the normal routes

as long as u keep the lambda probe in place the car should up the fuelling to match the mods uve done

start by de-catting it - u want a exhaust system from either a SRi or a late GSi as u need the hole for teh lambda probe

then drop in an SR (1.4) cam shaft

if your lucky it should knock out power just shy of a normal SR

after that the only way forward is to junk the injection

u could fiddle around possibly try using a 1.6 injector and pressure regulator to get the fuelling up some more and try to get some more power, but ive no idea if that would work at all so you'd be on yer own there

blaiz
15-01-03, 06:54 PM
wud it b better 2 stick in a GSi cam??
do these have higher lifts etc.??
wud it b necesary 2 use the followers that were wiv da cam??or js use the ones alredy in ?
i gota 1.4i aswel

Aragorn
15-01-03, 11:21 PM
keep teh followers with the cam and make sure u keep the followers in the right place

u could get a new set, but if u dont the make sure they go back in the same place

the 1400 SR cam has higher lift than the GTE cam unfortunately the SRi and GSi cams specs arent listed in haynes so they MIGHT be slightly better still

so from what i know the SR cam is the best one

if either u 2 blokes do this - could u get yer car rollered after it and see what kinda power its knocking out?

red_devil
20-01-03, 11:27 AM
as i remember the 1.4 SPi doesn't have an ECU as such but is more like a fancy carb really... in the same way that you can't chip a 1.2 SPi.

Go for Carb's if you can afford it or at least put a cam kit in it.

As always its up to you how mad you go. But i recommend a Hi Torq Cam from Kent/Piper....

Not to hard to fit if you follow the Haynes normal procedure using the new kit....

Aragorn
20-01-03, 11:59 AM
u still need to do the exhaust as thats a major limitng factor

i think decatting it and useing the 1400 SR cam would prolly knock out the same power as an SR if not slightly less

make sure the exhaust manifold has the port for the lambda probe tho - it has to come from an SRi or a late catted GSi, then using either a normal performance exhaust for an SRi or bodging somthing together from GTE parts you should be sorted

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=fb35df31a3c13d2907b0e1915117e55f&threadid=58127

as u can see from that - the GTE front pipe will fit the SRi fine

after that you could try upping the fuel pressure slightly - but be careful - most pressure regulators are designed to run at around 3bar the SPi only runs 0.7bar as standard so running 3 bar thru it would prolly just blow summat up