PDA

View Full Version : f10 to f16 driveshafts

dougie_boi
31-03-09, 03:04 PM
hey all! been offerd a 1.8 spi engine box shafts loom ecu etc. from a cavalier and was wondering if the cavalier inner cv,s fitted on my nova 1200 shafts or will i need to to change my shafts and hubs to other ones? any info greatly appreciated thanks :)

mowgli
31-03-09, 06:35 PM
its down to number of splines on the inner ends of your driveshafts, if they are 22spline, then the f16 inner cvs off a cav 1.6 will apparently fit...

General Baxter
31-03-09, 06:54 PM
dont bother fitting it, large block engine with 90bhp lol

dougie_boi
31-03-09, 09:52 PM
its down to number of splines on the inner ends of your driveshafts, if they are 22spline, then the f16 inner cvs off a cav 1.6 will apparently fit... cool ill need to check them out as all i know is mine are standard 1200 ones from a mk1 carb model thanks for the info :thumb:

dougie_boi
31-03-09, 09:56 PM
dont bother fitting it, large block engine with 90bhp lol yeah true lol but im getting it all for free and would be faster than my 1200 carb engine lol

General Baxter
31-03-09, 10:00 PM
ummm all that extra weight tho lol

dougie_boi
31-03-09, 10:12 PM
yeah true mate but cant do no harm i suppose lol and will be better at getting going in the cold mornings too as my manual choke can be a b*****d at times just liking the idea of turning the key and away instead of sitting waiting on it to heat up a bit or it coughing and spluttering down the road lol

Stuart
31-03-09, 10:42 PM
"free" engine... then pay for mounts/CV joints/insurance increase/better springs to take the weight + the time and hassle of doing it...

makes "free" look crap now dosent it ;)

dougie_boi
31-03-09, 11:31 PM
"free" engine... then pay for mounts/CV joints/insurance increase/better springs to take the weight + the time and hassle of doing it...

makes "free" look crap now dosent it ;)
lol yeah kinda does mate! the car will be all legal etc just wasnt sure if i could use my own shafts with the cavalier inners. or if id have to buy new diffrent shafts and hubs etc already has 256mm brakes and apex front shocks from a gte and corsa b gsi rear shocks and springs hopefully they should hold up to the job lol

jimster vxr
25-04-09, 12:05 PM
douglas dont be silly! all this extra weight will burst the erse out your nova. your novad out your nut lol

novaguy08
25-04-09, 03:28 PM
dude all that work for something like 20 odd extra hp!! And then you wont get the effect of it as the engine weight is just going to knock ya bhp/weight ratio back up!
i dont think there will be any advantage to do this what so ever!! all your going to end up with is a car thats either a tiny amount faster and loads more to insure or no faster at all and loads more to insure!

dougie_boi
26-04-09, 08:17 PM
not at all sweetheart she will be fine and dandy

dougie_boi
26-04-09, 08:19 PM
dude all that work for something like 20 odd extra hp!! And then you wont get the effect of it as the engine weight is just going to knock ya bhp/weight ratio back up!
i dont think there will be any advantage to do this what so ever!! all your going to end up with is a car thats either a tiny amount faster and loads more to insure or no faster at all and loads more to insure!
just mainly looking for reliability and a bit more poke dont want it to fast as my other half is using it plus it would be diffrent as well dont think ive seen one in a nova before :D

novaguy08
26-04-09, 08:19 PM
sweetheart?? i dont think it will have been done before as its not much point in doing it as i said its not going to be much faster if at all..... and its only worth doing it for reliability unless the engine your taking out is pretty much dead.......... 8vers are pretty much bulltproof from what i been told... so there no real advantage to it

dougie_boi
26-04-09, 08:23 PM
sweetheart??
sorry was meant to be directed to jim

novaguy08
26-04-09, 08:24 PM
ahhhh

dougie_boi
26-04-09, 08:28 PM
was just an idea really plus the fact it wasnt costing me nout as well just liked the idea of reliabilty as parts around here are really scarce for 1.2 carb models

novaguy08
26-04-09, 08:53 PM
hmmmmm good point but you need to check the availibility of the parts for the 1.8
however a bet that the 1.8 SPI parts are going to be more expencive then the 1.2 carb ones, mainly as they are more electrical.......