PDA

View Full Version : Caution To Anyone Looking At Buying This Car - Nova GSI C20 LET

geoff H
31-03-09, 08:47 AM
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/923533.htm (http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/923533.htm)
To anyone that may be interested in buying this car then l'd personally look elsewhere or pay no more than what the breaking value would be - £1,500 on a good day. It's a heavily rotten and bodged together shell with a recently rebuilt (by myself and Chris at GMH) STANDARD C20 LET fitted.

A few members from vxon had a look around the car while we had it in for the engine rebuild after suffering from a melted piston, rod and heavily scored bore so feel free to add any input to these people.

M.O.T isn't mentioned in the advert but l know it was/is due around now and would need alot of welding to pass a legitimate test. Its generally very rough and rusty underneath but here are the main bits. Both rear chassis legs are rotten to the point where both springs have gone through, both rear sill backs are splitting with rot along the whole rear section of sideskirts, there are several jig clamp marks on the front of the sills aswell as the O/S/F floorpan/jacking point being heavily bent. The O/S/F strut top/chassis leg area has a section cut out for the alternator pulley but has not been rewelded and a 2" hole that the owner has fibreglassed up to the front of the strut top. Both front engine and gearbox mounts are tearing away from the body - not due to rot, too much right boot action with no strengthening kit fitted. The front panel/crossmember is a replacement that is barely pigeon sh*t welded in. The battery relocated in the boot sits on what was the spare wheel well - this is now a smooth floor thats also very roughly done with a patchwork quilt around the bootfloor corners/inner arches. Its also audio cable that's been used that are twisted and taped together in the original battery tray area - next to the seized heater blower motor. The cage is a showcage that is bolted straight to the body with no mounts made and just a couple of 13mm nuts and washers to fasten it in, the seats are also loosely fitted. The passenger door bottom is heavily rotting out and the Audi door handles work badly.

Mechanically it's not bad but was put together from a load of second had parts mostly but did include new rings, big end bearings, headbolts and a gasket set. The ECU is standard as are the internals and turbo. The turbo is a recon that leaks oil from the core - he sent it back a few times but the problem persisted everytime. Its running on an F20 that we supplied. The radiator isn't held in by anything other than the hoses and looks to be a 1.2 item as it's tiny, the huge intercooler is held in the same way. The bonnet is propped open at the back and has flown up in the past looking at the dents on the scuttle - there is no secondary catch.

Of course, he could have sorted all of these problems out in the last couple of months but l seriously doubt it and it's very overpriced either way. I don't like seeing people being ripped off and felt quite sorry for the lad when he bought it without having a proper look around but l have also got no respect for people that don't settle their bills..........

Geoff

Southie
31-03-09, 09:04 AM
I wish more people were like you "honest".
Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

Ernie
31-03-09, 09:12 AM
you beat me to it.

VXandy
31-03-09, 09:28 AM
Just goes to show how much people are willing to rip other people off . . . + Rep heading your way for being so honest!

bmw156
31-03-09, 09:49 AM
nice one dude.
i think someone should go around and have a good look at it, see if all that up there is true. because you could rip the guy to shreads on the spot.

Lee H
31-03-09, 12:45 PM
car has been round years, used to run f28!

Www.pngclub.com/forum/viewfeaturecar.php?ref=651

GRUNT 16V
31-03-09, 12:53 PM
its been on there for 29 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which means there is alot of inerest in it !!!!!(sarcasm) he he

Pistol Pete
31-03-09, 12:54 PM
Shame really, looks like a tidy car.

chimp007_uk
31-03-09, 12:59 PM
Shame really, looks like a tidy car.

I was going to say the same thing... Does look like a nice car, shame that looks can be deceiving! You've got to feel sorry for some poor young lad with more money than sense who will buy it... (eventually lol)

Edit: Could you imagine driving miles to go see it and find out it was a shed! I'd be pee'd off... I once drove 200miles to look at an Audi A3 and when i got there the guy had someone else looking at it, who... Bought it there and then! The guy knew i was coming as well!

Some people are just W*****S

Pistol Pete
31-03-09, 01:01 PM
If they do then more fool them. Its been posted on MIG aswell!!!

Sloth
31-03-09, 01:41 PM
buy and break lads. ofeer 1.5 k and slap him for it....

dj_wudgey
31-03-09, 02:56 PM
well just hope the word gets about and noboby get ripped off with a nakard car!!

craig green
31-03-09, 04:18 PM
That car has been around the block a bit. I even recall some negative comments from the last time it was for sale.

I wouldnt buy a car from anyone that spells 'boost gadge' like that anyway... You'd wonder if they can tell the difference between where to put oil & water?

tom_beverley
31-03-09, 04:25 PM
I wouldnt buy a car from anyone that spells 'boost gadge' like that anyway... You'd wonder if they can tell the difference between where to put oil & water?

lol Noticed that myself, tbh its one of the things I look out for is decent spelling.

amggsi
31-03-09, 04:33 PM
To me the pictures tell enough.
If I was in the market looking for a Nova, this wouldn't make it to the phonecall stage just from the advert nevermind what is written above!

The was the bonnet. lights, grill and bumper are just thrown onto it are enough to put me off! It makes me think about the way the rest of the car has been put together!!

Pistol Pete
31-03-09, 04:39 PM
Rust near drivers side turret and potential damp concern aswell seeing as the rear window looks misted up.

craig green
31-03-09, 04:48 PM
lol Noticed that myself, tbh its one of the things I look out for is decent spelling.

Two write!

lol

Pistol Pete
31-03-09, 05:28 PM
lol

Plug
31-03-09, 05:45 PM
lol just looked at the car in piston heads.
Looked through this
and then when to reload the piston heads back up i was greeted with

This advert has been withdrawn by PistonHeads

EUROTURBO
31-03-09, 07:18 PM
hahaha... "advert Withdrawn"

Sloth
31-03-09, 07:28 PM
lol due to the fact a skip with a let is a better option...