PDA

View Full Version : Sticky window!

novaguy08
30-03-09, 06:19 PM
Hi guys Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but I got a '92 Nova and the Drivers side window is REALLY stiff, i mean stiff to the point i popped the reg off the slider! The ol' girl was attempted to be broken into (thanks to Toad Ai606 Alram & immob nothing was stolen and the little c*nt run off!) they bent the door out, I bent the door back in and it all sits flush with the rest of the frame now but its still REALLY stiff!!

It frees up with a sqirt of WD40 or when it rains (:confused: i know!) but goes right back to normal after a few times up n down......... The only other thing i can tell you is that the glass itself seems to stick on the back edge as that end sits up when winding down and when i push it back down its fine...... Im lost here and want to fit some 'lecy windows so i need this sorted out before i can do this!

Please help me out!!!

nova_saloon
30-03-09, 06:23 PM
does it start to come down sideways slightly, if so then you need new runners and bigger pop rivets as the holes in the door and probs chewed? (when you wind it down do you have to push the back of the window down to get it to go down easier?)

novaguy08
30-03-09, 06:29 PM
yes that exactly the problem, what are the pop rivets?

Mazz
30-03-09, 06:41 PM
iirc there are 4 (pop rivits) that hold the winding mechanism to the door. pop the door card off and you can't miss them..

Mazz
30-03-09, 06:43 PM
i lied, there are 3 that i can see on this pic from we put electric ones in the misses Nova..

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7138/oldmechanism.th.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oldmechanism.jpg)

brainsnova
30-03-09, 07:01 PM
see if theres play in the glass left and right as facing it as the side guides can be adjusted and also the quarter window bar.

Benn
30-03-09, 07:26 PM
As said on mig, the rubbers dry out and need lube, its needs to be a silcon or ptfe based lube as it wont dry out. Wd40 is crap and drys out.

Do this and they will work 100%.

novaguy08
30-03-09, 07:45 PM
Ok well i checked all the rivits when i put the reg back on the slide and they were ok, just bent the reg, so im going to tinker with the 1/4 window and the sliders after getting some silicone lube on them