PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with my 2.0 8v

Steve
30-03-09, 02:42 PM
Tried getting my 2.0 running today but it tried to start and eventually flooded so I cleaned the plugs and it will start but it sounds like its only running on 2 or 3 cylinders. I hasnt been run at all since january, but when it was running everytime I tried giving it a few revs it would cut out, the idle was alot lower as well 6-700rpm.

We took off the inlet manifold last weekend and theres two plugs that came off the injector plugs, found that the blue one goes next to the alternator but can't see where the other one goes.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/beige%20beast/30-03-09_1234.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d9/novamyth/Sr%20Pics/beige%20beast/30-03-09_1302.jpg

Any ideas??

GRUNT 16V
30-03-09, 03:01 PM
Throttle Position Switch On The Back Of The Trottle Body??

Sloth
30-03-09, 03:25 PM
black is tps, blue is coolant sensor for the ecu

Steve
30-03-09, 03:38 PM
Cheers mate have just been told the same thing on cavaliercrazy.

Sloth
30-03-09, 03:46 PM
no probs, they run crap with the tps off. sorry for the o.t but hows it going?

Steve
30-03-09, 07:30 PM
Cheers yeah it was the tps however it still runs crap, hasnt been run since jan and it sounds like its only running on 2 or 3 now :cry:

Thought it might clear once it was warmed up but still the same.

the-blade
30-03-09, 07:34 PM
before takeing things apart have you tried testing for a spark on each pluglead?

what colour are the plug tips? black sooty?..white?.. or a nice grey colour

SKoob
30-03-09, 09:17 PM
new inlet manifold gasket used?

Steve
30-03-09, 10:06 PM
Yep new inlet gasket and the plugs are the normal grey colour.

Just had a look on another site I asked about it on and they think it might be condensation/water in the dizzy cap, which it probably is our garage leaks right where the car has been parked lol so going to give that a go and go from there.

Gabbo
30-03-09, 11:23 PM
ive got a 2.0 8v to and mine was running like crap for bout 2 weeks as dint get round to looking at it but found there was a plug lead braking up, it cleared when i reved it but on idle it ran lumpy so changed the leads and she's a treat again.
not saying this could be your problem but like the others say check the basics. :)

AlexW
31-03-09, 01:24 AM
Just a thought, seeing as the damage was bad enough to bend the mounts, was there any slight hit to the leads/plugs/dizzy/dizzy cap?

Steve
31-03-09, 11:25 PM
Yeah it bent to of the plugs so ive changed them and the leads actually split so ive changed them as well. A few other people have suggested checking all the earths but as far as I can see there as they were before. Someone else said

its probs got crappy oil now and a dry top end,the hydrolic liftters will take a while to fill wiv oil and if the oils gone thick then they just wont fill leavin your valves not openin properly,giv it an oil change and let it run for a while,but dont rev it let it sort itself out but I let it run up to temperature and the oil isnt even that old.

I haven't got the right bit to take the dizzy cap off as they used weird hex bolts so gotta wait to borrow andys when I see him next.

Any other thoughts/suggestions peeps?

dougie_boi
31-03-09, 11:47 PM
quick way to check if its an earth is use a jump lead and put one end on negitive terminal on battery and then the other end on the engine to see if that helps it clear misfiring if not an earth then check distributer cap rotor arm, leads, gaps and pipe going from afm to inlet manifold is tight and for splits etc

Steve
01-04-09, 12:06 AM
Cheers for that the inlet pipe split on impact in the accident but when it was running I did push it together to stop it drawing in too much air but didnt make any difference. Will give that a go with the jump leads, at least its something else to rule out.

~~joycey~~
01-04-09, 12:10 AM
I would almost deffo say its your cap or rotor arm steve, spray some of that wet start stuff you can get inside it and double check everything :)

Steve
01-04-09, 12:18 AM
Thats what i'm thinking/hoping. When it was put in the garage the only place for it was right under where the garage leaks! Rotor arm was new but the dizzy cap will need replacing now, well it needed replacing last time but money was tight so we just cleaned it lol