PDA

View Full Version : Taxing a car

hendrix
30-03-09, 12:55 PM
Right you lot, just got a new car at the weekend and the tax is up at the end of this month (tomorrow). I have the new keeper bit and the MOT but obviously don't have the insurance docs through yet and there is no online thingy to print off.
Can I still get tax?? Bearing in mind I can't do it online yet as DVLA don't know I'm the new owner yet.
Ta! :thumb:

L14MNP
30-03-09, 12:57 PM
I don't think you can mate. Unless you can get hold of a traders policy to tax it with? Surely your insurance docs. will be through by the weekend though?

hendrix
30-03-09, 12:57 PM
Yeah but I need to use the car throughout the week and its the 1st on Weds.

L14MNP
30-03-09, 01:00 PM
Ah very true, I forgot another month has almost passed us by. All I can suggest, which I'm sure you have already done is stress the importance of receiving your docs ASAP to the insurance company. I assume they don't have an online facility for printing off your certificate, maybe they could fax one out to you?

hendrix
30-03-09, 01:04 PM
I asked them about an online one and faxing one but the (helpful) Indian chap said they can't do that.
I did say its out of tax at the end of the month but he didn't really seem to say anything to that.
Useful eh!

Hobbit
30-03-09, 01:06 PM
I'd just drive it, not alot you can do until the insurance turns up.

L14MNP
30-03-09, 01:07 PM
Killer mate. Typical insurance compnay BS. Couldn't care less once you've took out a policy with them. I'd say ring the DVLA but they're even worse, seem to get a different answer on the same subject depending on who you speak to! Hopefully someone else will be able to offer a soloution for you mate.

I feel your pain! lol

Welsh Dan
30-03-09, 01:08 PM
Admiral RMSD's my policy to me in order to get the mondy taxed.

dan16v
30-03-09, 01:14 PM
Maybe ok? as i done my gf's tax last night online, and it did not ask for any mot or insurance ref numbers, as they all seem to be on the database now and are picked up automaticly by the tax programe?. Mot and ins details were different to when she last taxed the car aswell!

Hobbit
30-03-09, 01:16 PM
Maybe ok? as i done my gf's tax last night online, and it did not ask for any mot or insurance ref numbers, as they all seem to be on the database now and are picked up automaticly by the tax programe?. Mot and ins details were different to when she last taxed the car aswell!

yeah but you need the complete log book, or reminder to do it online.

Pistol Pete
30-03-09, 01:18 PM
Emailed insurance docs FTW! I am also on good terms with my old boss so company insurance FTW!! Ask them if they can email a cover note? Pretty poor show by your insurance company TBH.

I doubt you will be able to insure without indurance docs TBH. Cant they check you are insured??

dan16v
30-03-09, 01:19 PM
Yeah but I need to use the car throughout the week and its the 1st on Weds.

Ah sorry, i was reading it as he had the full log book!:(

L33 LEG
30-03-09, 05:43 PM
if you insure it now your documents will come by wednesday anyway.

but as people have said. you cant tax a car without the documents. thats why its handy being on trade or knowing somebody who is. and apparantly you can use your v5c slip once to tax it, even though on one of my cars its been stamped 3 or 4 times Lol.

Spudly
30-03-09, 07:38 PM
I'd just drive it, not alot you can do until the insurance turns up.

Only if you wish to have your new toy removed from your possession!

If you can get on to the previous keeper then ask them for the ref number on the tax reminder as they should have one then do it online!

If not then get your walk on until the insurance docs turn up in the post!

CoolTiger
30-03-09, 07:41 PM
if your really stuck and really need to drive it , day insurance about 15£ tax it with that and sorted :)

Spudly
30-03-09, 07:51 PM
Apost office wont allow you to tax a car with a days insurance bud and same as they wont take faxed insurance docs anymore, too many people have played the systems flaws so they have closed them all now!

hendrix
30-03-09, 08:51 PM
Hopefully my mate is gonna get the tax with his traders policy...fingers crossed!

Pistol Pete
30-03-09, 08:54 PM
Who are you insured with? My company emailed me my docs there and then. Print off the certificate and taxed it. Post office didnt even query it.

Spudly
30-03-09, 08:54 PM
Cool so what is the new toy then, btw when you txt mikey the other day asking if he had just gone past yours, that was me nailing my nova up the hill at some silly speed hahaha!

hendrix
30-03-09, 09:06 PM
im insured with the post office lol
I hadn't heard mike, I'd seen his car at robs when I went past the road end mate

ade
31-03-09, 12:50 AM
Now Ive skip read this but I presume when you bought the car you got the green tear off section from the V5 with it? If so you can tax a car with that, a valid MOT and insurance certificate (which should have shown up by Wednesday).

You cant use a faxed cert at most post offices (some dodgy ones allow you but most dont).

Ask the insurer to send guaranteed next day delivery - we do that for "urgent" cases - tel them you were promised the last set of docs would be sent priority and havent turned up...