PDA

View Full Version : WRC sill stands

L14MNP
29-03-09, 02:51 PM
Anyone got any experience with these?

I'm wanting to fit the tubes/plates to my Primera shell before it goes off for a weld in cage and to be painted.

I'm wondering how to go about welding in the plates, I assume it's one inside and one outside of the sill. Does the sill require cutting open to fit the inner plate? Can't see any other way.

Also anyone made their own? I think I will make the stands but buy the tubes/plates (much cheaper than from the place I nicked the pics from though) Unless I can get hold of some CDS tube for a fair price.

Last question, what's the deal on sizes, 20mm, 25mm what's best? Was thinking 25mm as it's for a larger car.

Here's a couple of gay pics to help. (Scooby stands look like modded standards?)
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/eurojdmp11/Random/wrcsill.jpg?t=1238335243
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/eurojdmp11/Random/sill.jpg?t=1238334673
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/eurojdmp11/Random/sill1.jpg?t=1238334697

Mike
29-03-09, 03:28 PM
There pish easy to fit chap, size of your car I'd go 25mm Dia.

Knock a hole out straight though the sill to what ever diamter the tubes are, weld the rectangle plate on, weld the tube in making sure the tube sits about 5mm proud of the rectangular plate.

Then do the same on the inside of the vehicle but cap the tube off on the inside.

TBH, for road use its a lot of work for nothing. Pre made stands are VERY costly, making your own is a bit iffy, if one goes, the car will soon hit the floor.

L14MNP
29-03-09, 03:46 PM
Cheers Mike, that's what I was thinking. +ve rep if I can mate. Yeah I can see them being a bit of work, seen the pre made stands for about £90 a pair IIRC. I will get the old man on it if I can't pick up a 2nd hand set though. He's a very good fabricator so strength shouldn't be an issue.

The car will mainly be for the road, but shall be seeing the track a few times a year but the main reason for the sill stands is the shell is bare at the moment so seemed as good a time as any to do it. Also handy for dropping off the running gear etc and not having anything in the way, saves wrecking the floor/paint with standard stands etc.

If properly made it won't be a fcuk on to get up on all four stands either, my high lift jack, slot the stands on to the tubes and then drop the car down. Safe in the knoweldge I'm not going to die... lol

Will have to take a look at the inside later on, are you saying the tube goes right through the inner sill and the second plate is on the inside of the car? Would make sense for strength I guess :) . Any reason why the inside of the tube needs to be capped mate? Not that it's a big deal. I feel stupid, heres' me thinking that the platesd were on the inner and outer of the outer sill. lol

Mike
29-03-09, 05:24 PM
If youve got skills or some one you know has got skills with a welder, whilst you shell is bare then yeah go for it.

The second plate goes inside the shell for, as you said, strength. The tubes need to be capped else you'll have in effect a hole going straight through your sill to the cabin. Obvious reasons (rain/rust) ideally it wants to be capped off.

L14MNP
29-03-09, 08:47 PM
Once again Mike cheers mate. FFS :roll: weather/fumes etc of course! What a retard I can be lol :thumb:

Bubba
29-03-09, 10:11 PM
could you not use bmw jacks? dont they slot into the sills?