PDA

View Full Version : New brake lines (Braided?)

Iain
29-03-09, 10:22 AM
I need some new brake lines for when my car's back together so looking at ordering some bits. My questions are...

What is the benefit of running them internally, is it just so nothing can split them under the car so it's a bit safer? Also I'm looking at braided hoses all the way through, is this worthwhile over new copper(?) lines?

I found Ash's post here (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97899&highlight=internal+brake+lines%3Cbr%20/%3E) very useful for the parts, although I'm not sure how you go about attaching the fixings to the hose?

Thanks.

Benn
29-03-09, 10:38 AM
See everyone runs braided all thru, but the way i look at it is copper doesnt expand at all so surely its better.

tom reid
29-03-09, 10:45 AM
braided pipes don't expand either, that is the whole point of them over rubber hoses.
There's no need to run them thru the the car, other than looking good, copper piping would do.
Iain, want a look at the catalogue?, I have some pipe and ends here, but not enough for a full car.
Fitting the ends is easy, but takes too long for me to type, best to be shown.

Iain
29-03-09, 10:54 AM
Cool thanks for the reply. I could try and pop up next weekend and you can show me how to fit the ends :cool:

I've been looking at the hose and connectors on RallyDesign but there's no rush to buy them as I'm making rubbish progress lol

Benn
29-03-09, 10:58 AM
braided pipes don't expand either, that is the whole point of them over rubber hoses.
There's no need to run them thru the the car, other than looking good, copper piping would do..

It does still explane but only a very small amount, as the burrer in side the brading still has room too. Yes its only a tiny amount but it still can, where copper cant at all.

tom reid
29-03-09, 11:23 AM
Cool thanks for the reply. I could try and pop up next weekend and you can show me how to fit the ends :cool:

I've been looking at the hose and connectors on RallyDesign but there's no rush to buy them as I'm making rubbish progress lol

Not next weekend mate, I'm in Wales collecting the car, and at Longcross for the rally, weekend after perhaps?

Iain
29-03-09, 11:34 AM
Yeah sounds good.

Adam
29-03-09, 01:28 PM
Just use normal copper line?
Braided seems a bit pointless to me for a road car!

Unless your using the car for rallying or something.....

Iain
29-03-09, 03:29 PM
And a 6pt cage, buckets, harnesses, polycarbonate windows, etc are ideal for a road car? lol

Adam
29-03-09, 04:20 PM
Need no, good to have yes.
Braided lines have no benefit over normal copper pipes and braided flexis? (apart from preventing damage from stones etc, going back to my stage/rally car comment above :p )

Benn
29-03-09, 11:19 PM
And a 6pt cage, buckets, harnesses, polycarbonate windows, etc are ideal for a road car? lol

Never been on track tho have you?;)

Iain
30-03-09, 01:46 PM
Yes, once. :p

16v Nova Kev
30-03-09, 02:19 PM
lol 30/15 ianel lol