PDA

View Full Version : just about bloody everything going wrong..

James B
13-01-03, 10:02 PM
hi all, ok few questions to tempt you all with:

1) Gettin gradually more and more annoyed with my heaters, they have a nasty habit of producing a sqeaking sqealing noise whenever they are switched on, on any level. does anyone know what this could possibly be and a cure for it???

2) just bought a GSi dash which i have fitted to my 1.2 nova merit. All works ok apart from the tachometer and the oil gauge. I have been informed as to how to wire up the rev counter so that should be ok, but what bout the oil? At the moment it just sits at like full, hmm gettin me confused. What do i do about that?

3) final moan - my headlights have a nasty tendancy of switching themselves from main beam to sidelight all by themselves. allthough this is a clever little trick performed by the trusty old nova, really does get on your tits when your flying down a country lane and your suddenly greeted with pitch black. they come back on again after a little fiddling/turning/whacking of the light switch. again any suggestions

hope someone can help me out - so i can sleep again without wondering.....

James

Alex
13-01-03, 10:10 PM
you don't ahve the right oil pressure sensor to get that to work, so it will stay of full + it cost LOADS of money for a new one (ive heard around ?70?) :o

Lights are probably just a wireing problem. Just have to look over that.

mikeoxford
13-01-03, 10:21 PM
lights id put money on the dim dip relay failing

as for the oil pressure sender they are ?68 + VAT from vauxhall, so im afraid its a scrapyard jobby!

jatinder
13-01-03, 10:38 PM
Just cured the same prob u had on ur car on my one 2day! for the heaters. get sum oil or wd40 open ur bonnet near were the battery is locate to the right the will be a plastic cover try and take that out might rip a bit be gentle. then squirt a bit of oil into the motor (make sure its only a bit otherwise ur car will stink of oil next time u use the heaters) the run the heater and the noise should stop. sum grease wouldnt hurt either hope it helps!

carltoncrazy
13-01-03, 11:33 PM
have to be kinda rude,why do you need this oil sensor thing?you lived without it b4 ou got the clocks.do wot the guy above says about the fan,
and i bet its the light switch,
tho can ya tell us which one it is,so i can prove i know more than mike hehehehehehehe

James B
13-01-03, 11:40 PM
why do you need this oil sensor thing?you lived without it b4 ou got the clocks

couldnt agree with you more mate - means bugger all to me anyway - im not gonna spend close to ?70 on the sender unit for it! just leave it as it is, was just wondering if there was a simple explanation or not. Goes to show that nothings bloody simple in this world :cry:

as for the heaters, will give it a bash tomorrow and let you all know!! lol

James

James B
13-01-03, 11:41 PM
bollocks, didnt mean to quote the whole lot of that above, sorry!

match
14-01-03, 11:33 AM
my lights do the same annoying fuckin thing every now and again. it is the light switch cos if i twist it and press it towards the headlight notch they come back in - dodgy/worn contacts in the switch i think.

can this switch be changed without taking the dash out or is it a dash out jobby to change the bastrd thing?

cheers

ade
14-01-03, 01:15 PM
I had same prob with lights for a bit - usually the light mechanism on mk2's coming out of wole it plugs into, breaks contacts or the switch doesnt turn all the way around fully to full beam setting. Check to make sure the clips arent broken and when you turn it to full beams, it clicks in place. new one about ?20 from Vauxhall

As for heater, bearings on way out on motor - wd40 will prob work for a while but will return eventually. 2nd hand usint from scrappy will sort this for about ?20!

Ade

michaelbould
14-01-03, 01:37 PM
I had that problem with the heater fans, what I did, and it worked for a while was to spray some wd40 type stuff at them from under the bonnet (just right of the battery)

neiloakley
14-01-03, 02:27 PM
headlight switches can be changed without taking out the dash. On a mk2 it is easier to take the shroud off around the dials and push it out from behind otherwise you might break it.!!!

blaiz
14-01-03, 07:36 PM
the horrible squeel did my nut so i tuk the deflector off, but u dont wana use WD40 as this will only work temperarily,use greese + bunge loads of it on!
sortd mine!

Will
14-01-03, 11:37 PM
nice avator :D

neiloakley
15-01-03, 08:33 AM
what?

match
15-01-03, 09:20 AM
mine is a mark 1 dash can you still take the light switch out without removing the dash to replace the light switch?

cheers

neiloakley
15-01-03, 09:21 AM
yes i said so about five lines up. Just get a screwdriver behind both sides and gently lever it out

match
15-01-03, 09:43 AM
cheers neil, gonna have to sort the problem out, nearly ended up in a hedge last nite!! - not good

neiloakley
15-01-03, 09:46 AM
no probs

Manta Mad
15-01-03, 07:30 PM
The Mk 1 light switch has 2 plastic bits (top and bottom) that need to be pushed in with a screwdriver so you can lever it out. Thes plastic bits compress as you slide the switch in and then spring out to hold it in place. Just get 2 screwdrivers, one at the top and one at the bottom of the switch, lever them in behind and try to push the plastic bits inwards towards the switch then lever the switch out.

neiloakley
16-01-03, 08:08 AM
it's left and right, not top and bottom. Lever it from the two sides.