PDA

View Full Version : c20xe questions

ST-eater
27-03-09, 04:50 PM
Hi all, im new to the site and looking for a few bits of information with regards to doing a DIY conversion in a j plate 1.2 merit.

I have previous experince with engine swaps, being the last one a 220bhp dyno'd RST engine in a ford ka, and a few fiat small block swaps.

I bought a nova previously with a 2.0 engine and was really chuffed with it, but after realising the car was a nail i sold it off as spares and repairs.

The time has come for me to do a conversion myself, but im new to the vauxhall scene.

Im under the impression that its not a super hard job to do, and i find the 'articles' and the 'search' functions usefull, but there are a few areas i need your advice to clear up.

Could someone explain to me if i need a strengthening kit (the plates on ebay) if i was to seam weld the complete engine bay.

Do i need the cavi gear stick set up, or can i get away with using the one thats in the 1.2 nova.

Will the 1.2 rad be enough to cool it (im assuming not) but after looking on the search it seems that it can be used :s

Are the anti roll bar spacers a must, or is it just to clear some exhausts.

And finally could someone explain the best way to sort the driveshafts and hubs (pref the cheapest way) as i would be wanting to fit the 2.0 astra hubs/brakes, but no idea if i would need custom or 22 spline shafts, as the guide said there are two options, and i really dont know what i could use.... i assume i just put different cv's on each end?

Oh not forgetting, is there anywhere i can get info on the difference between gearboxes, i understand that the f20 is a strong possibly diesel box, but im no sure about the f16 f18 (and any others if there are). I thought the basis was the lower the number the shorter the gear ratio, but not 100% sure.

Any help would be appreciated... Cheers :)

burgo
27-03-09, 04:56 PM
the general consensus is that no you dont "need" the strengthening plate kit and a stitch welded shell is strong enough. imo for the price of them its rude not to use them.

you dont "need" the cavvy gearstick set up but its an easy mod that does improve the gear change feel and makes the exhaust easier to make. if its a budget job then keep the nova shifter.

i would go with a 1.6 rad if i were you altho the 1.2 rad could work for now.

easiest way to get round the driveshafts is to use 22 spline nova shafts with the 1600 cavvy inner cv's. this allows you to keep the nova hubs standard.

the f20 is the standard gearbox for c20xe's and is usually kept due to it being plenty strong enough and not bad ratios. i wouldnt worry about straying from it if i were you.

ST-eater
27-03-09, 04:59 PM
the general consensus is that no you dont "need" the strengthening plate kit and a stitch welded shell is strong enough. imo for the price of them its rude not to use them.

you dont "need" the cavvy gearstick set up but its an easy mod that does improve the gear change feel and makes the exhaust easier to make. if its a budget job then keep the nova shifter.

i would go with a 1.6 rad if i were you altho the 1.2 rad could work for now.

easiest way to get round the driveshafts is to use 22 spline nova shafts with the 1600 cavvy inner cv's. this allows you to keep the nova hubs standard.

the f20 is the standard gearbox for c20xe's and is usually kept due to it being plenty strong enough and not bad ratios. i wouldnt worry about straying from it if i were you.

spot on, everything i needed to know, cheers!! Oh actually thinking about it, can i put the larger brake conversion on the nova hubs?

burgo
27-03-09, 05:13 PM
if you mean the astra/cavalier 16v brakes then yes its a direct swop

Sloth
27-03-09, 05:45 PM
1 other tip, put the rad fan onto a ign live so it turns on as soon as ya start it, it helps if ya use a 1.2 rad.

ST-eater
29-03-09, 10:51 PM
1 other tip, put the rad fan onto a ign live so it turns on as soon as ya start it, it helps if ya use a 1.2 rad.
Cool ive been given an XE rad and a large XE fan, also a ford xr3i metal fan which i think should keep things cool if i can fit them in. Would rather fit something better than the 1.2 rad as it will get damn hot lol, and i dont fancy changing it all once the engines in place

John
29-03-09, 10:55 PM

Personally i'd use the gte/gsi rad for the xe conversion. Why do that sloth? it runs perfectly fine of the thermo switch? It'd annoy the hell out of me, and drain the battery quick, if say i have the ign on in the garage etc.