PDA

View Full Version : running funny

pete22
13-01-03, 02:45 PM
ive just bought a nova saloon with a 1.4 sr engine . i had it running yesterday it was ok but needed timing doing on the dizzy so played with it today it would drive a bit lumpy and was ticking over too fast so altered it and now it ticks over ok until i try to set off and it just dies , any suggestions
coz its doing my head in

pete22
13-01-03, 02:53 PM
no i didnt mark the dizzy coz it wasnt right to start with ,
if i put the timing back so it was running fast then slow it down on the carb would this be ok

neiloakley
14-01-03, 03:27 PM
had a guy round to tune my engine and he told me a story of a guy who messed his engine up by tuning it by ear. He asked, how did you set the timing up? The twat answered, "i did it by ear". You cant set up an engine by ear. You cant hear the detonation or pinking of the level of co in the exhaust. never mess with anything other than the idle screw (and only if you really have too)

Manta Mad
14-01-03, 07:48 PM
do you know if you altered the idle with the idle speed screw or was it the mixture screw? if mixture, this could be the problem but as said above, get the timing set accurately first then set up the mixture with an exhaust gas analyzer.

carltoncrazy
14-01-03, 11:56 PM
right i have to be blunt here,
im a tigh fisted ****,
but its like 40 quid to get a guy out to tune an engine,
jus get it done

neiloakley
15-01-03, 08:29 AM
yep. i paid 48.95 and he did a compression test and emmisions on my mates car

pete22
16-01-03, 07:02 PM
cheers for the info , got it tuned yesterday for 22 quid it runs mint now