PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8v turbo

gazsnova
26-03-09, 10:44 PM
im sure this has been answers time and time over. so ill keep it short-

where can can get either a spacer plate for the head to lower the compression?

or

where can i get a decent set of low comp pistons?

cheers

gazsnova
27-03-09, 11:35 PM
ok i guess am in the dark on that one.

how about decompression plate thickness?

Dirtydog1
27-03-09, 11:40 PM
dont bother mate, are you using e16se?

gazsnova
27-03-09, 11:41 PM
yeah got spares. picking up engine tomorrow

Dirtydog1
27-03-09, 11:46 PM
my thread is on here with my 16 8vt
i havent used a ****y plate or double gaskets because they blow easier.
if you set the timing up right with a single gasket it will run fine and a lot quicker imo!
are you using standard managment?
you CAN put 16 sb pistons in to lower the compression ratio to 10:1 instead of 10.5:1 or ne pistons which will rop it to 9 i think.(maybe 9.5 cant remember)
personally wouldnt bother though! lol

gazsnova
27-03-09, 11:53 PM
hehe yeah just noticed your thread. going to use standard management, got plenty of time on my hands for a project. my main concern is/ was the compression. timing wise vernier pulley. i think. just been looking around on the net- reading about a pressure activation switch i think it was courtenay that did them and ideas wtf that was for?

Dirtydog1
28-03-09, 12:00 AM
dont bother thay are cack too!
im using an ajustable fpr set at 50psi
11 psi boost but it will hold tonnes more! the thing you have to be carefull of is pinking when going through the gears as you will incinerate the pistons! this is where timing is crucial!
bolt the head down 30nm 3x 90degrees but leave it half hour between each turn (well thats what i did, let it get settled haha)

i have heard of a fpr that adjusts according to boost ie: for every psi pressure it increases the fuel pressure by a psi, not sure where you'd get one from.

standard management is fine, mine goes like f*ck and ive had it right off the clock in 5th with no problems! well recomended set up for a quick little car imo! and cheep as chips for spares

oh, one other thing, i dont run a cold start switch. (not sure if it helps, i broke it by accident and it seems to go better with out it so i left it off)

Dirtydog1
28-03-09, 12:05 AM
ps that switch you mentioned melts! lol and its for extra fuel in 5th i think im right in saying

Adam
29-03-09, 01:32 PM
dont bother thay are cack too!
im using an ajustable fpr set at 50psi
11 psi boost but it will hold tonnes more! the thing you have to be carefull of is pinking when going through the gears as you will incinerate the pistons! this is where timing is crucial!
bolt the head down 30nm 3x 90degrees but leave it half hour between each turn (well thats what i did, let it get settled haha)

i have heard of a fpr that adjusts according to boost ie: for every psi pressure it increases the fuel pressure by a psi, not sure where you'd get one from.

standard management is fine, mine goes like f*ck and ive had it right off the clock in 5th with no problems! well recomended set up for a quick little car imo! and cheep as chips for spares

oh, one other thing, i dont run a cold start switch. (not sure if it helps, i broke it by accident and it seems to go better with out it so i left it off)
Only problem with the fpr though is that if you set it at 50psi(the std fpr is like 35ish psi iirc), so you will be overfuelling when not on boost(as the ecu is still mapped with the std fuel pressure)
Your basically just hoping the injectors are supplying enough fuel for it not to melt when on boost...

Do you have a wideband lambda???

Dirtydog1
29-03-09, 04:48 PM
Only problem with the fpr though is that if you set it at 50psi(the std fpr is like 35ish psi iirc), so you will be overfuelling when not on boost(as the ecu is still mapped with the std fuel pressure)
Your basically just hoping the injectors are supplying enough fuel for it not to melt when on boost...

Do you have a wideband lambda???

theres no lambda or emission stuff on the e16se managment. c16se does.
yes it does over fuel slightly when idling, but im not losing any sleep over it lol

Edd
29-03-09, 05:36 PM
As I'm build a 1.6 8v turbo I have looked into all the ways of doing the conversion. I'm convince that if your looking for long term reliability and don't mind paying for a few extra bits( spacer plate, pressure switch ), basically the setup Courtenay used on their conversions is the way to go. If not heard of the switch melting can't see why it would do that? But the switch sorts out any overfueling problems. IMO I would use a spacer plate for the compression, and the pressure switch for the fueling.

scott.parker
29-03-09, 05:51 PM
If you some good advice on how to do a 1600 8v T, find Neil Robson on here (NovaNeil) and ask him mate, he built the engine in my mates nova.

Scott

Edd
29-03-09, 06:07 PM
If you some good advice on how to do a 1600 8v T, find Neil Robson on here (NovaNeil) and ask him mate, he built the engine in my mates nova.

Scott

Is your mates the silk violet one? With vw1.8 20v turbo tb? Does he use a spacer plate and pressure switch on his engine?

scott.parker
29-03-09, 06:17 PM
Yes mate, but it's a 2l 16v golf GTi TB, And it runs spacer plate (Don't run with out it,unless you intend on building your engine every month!) all the info i know of is in his feature, not much engine wise has changed at all..

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/viewfeaturecar.php?ref=2953

Hope it helps, but Neil who Mike bought the engine off would be able to answer questions better.

Scott

Edd
29-03-09, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the info Scott .

Edd

craig green
29-03-09, 06:51 PM
hehe yeah just noticed your thread. going to use standard management, got plenty of time on my hands for a project. my main concern is/ was the compression. timing wise vernier pulley. i think. just been looking around on the net- reading about a pressure activation switch i think it was courtenay that did them and ideas wtf that was for?

A vernier pulley will give you marginal control over the cam timing, though having all the lobes fixed to a single cam means you cant move one (inlet) without moving the exhaust lobes aswell. The timing Dirtydog is referring to is the ignition timing in relation to the piston during its firing stroke. So you would rotate the dizzy to advance or retard the timing.

As for the Courtenay method of using a pressure switch, all this does is fool the Bosch L-Jetronic into acessing the WOT* map when the switch receives the signal that positive manifold pressure is reached. The rest of the fuelling is dealt with by the rising rate fuel reg.

Once again it strikes me that people need the blanks filling in yet know next to nothing about engine operating basics. get a book & read up is my advice.

If anyone has to ask these simple questions I'd actually wonder if they'd know one end of a torque wrench from the other.

* wide open throttle :D

gazsnova
30-03-09, 12:04 AM
A vernier pulley will give you marginal control over the cam timing, though having all the lobes fixed to a single cam means you cant move one (inlet) without moving the exhaust lobes aswell. The timing Dirtydog is referring to is the ignition timing in relation to the piston during its firing stroke. So you would rotate the dizzy to advance or retard the timing.

As for the Courtenay method of using a pressure switch, all this does is fool the Bosch L-Jetronic into acessing the WOT* map when the switch receives the signal that positive manifold pressure is reached. The rest of the fuelling is dealt with by the rising rate fuel reg.

Once again it strikes me that people need the blanks filling in yet know next to nothing about engine operating basics. get a book & read up is my advice.

If anyone has to ask these simple questions I'd actually wonder if they'd know one end of a torque wrench from the other.

* wide open throttle :D

thanks now i really do feel offended/ insulted. just spent the last 5 years as a mechanic, and just wanted a little bit of help and advice on turbo'ing a n/a engine. not my fault that people arn't specific with questioning, i think some people have to remember that other people, like myself, either havnt got the practical knowledge or hands on experience of reworking engines (n/a to turbo)
please if you dont like the questions that are asked, why bother to post a reply.
sorry but i dont mean to offend or insult.

Sloth
30-03-09, 12:50 AM
gaz. pm me

Edd
30-03-09, 08:37 AM
@ craig
Mate, you grumpy f**ker!!lol lol lol lol

I think he just wanted to no a little bit more about the ways of turboing the 1.6 8v engine and what way to do it.

Maybe you need to read a book on diplomacy !!!!!!lol :thumb:

Edd
30-03-09, 08:47 AM

gazsnova
30-03-09, 06:14 PM
gaz. pm me

pm'd

Dirtydog1
30-03-09, 07:17 PM
mine has no plate and its been alive longer than a month.......so there!
and as craig said, timing is done pureley via dizzy.
imo and from experience the courtney pressure switch is pants.
i dont use one and i dont want one lol lol
at the end of the day, if you are 'building' your own engine you know how its assembled, is it going to be the biggest deal in the world if the gasket did go in 6 months time? whats it going to cost you....£10 for gasket and a splash of antifreeze and an hour or so of work!?

boo hoo

imo you get better acceleration with very little lag!

im just giving my advice, the route you take is entirely up to you!

craig green
31-03-09, 04:38 PM
thanks now i really do feel offended/ insulted. just spent the last 5 years as a mechanic, and just wanted a little bit of help and advice on turbo'ing a n/a engine. not my fault that people arn't specific with questioning, i think some people have to remember that other people, like myself, either havnt got the practical knowledge or hands on experience of reworking engines (n/a to turbo)
please if you dont like the questions that are asked, why bother to post a reply.
sorry but i dont mean to offend or insult.

:roll: It wasnt meant to offend buddy & was merely the same generic reply I put up to all the 8v turbo threads that 'pop' up on a monthly basis. Kindly use the search function as there is nothing new in this thread that doesnt get discussed EVERY time.

5 years as a mechanic you say....... :eek: