PDA

View Full Version : cambelt, a challenge to replace?

Bobaling
26-03-09, 09:38 PM
Hi

I've just been towed home as the cambelt on my 1.2 merit has gone.

just wondering armed with a haynes manual and a quite mechanically sound dad, is it easy to replace the cambelt? and have you guys got any tips on how to do so?

cheers
rob

Pistol Pete
26-03-09, 09:41 PM
Take the head off and check for valve to piston damage first. Then sort your cambelt, if there is no damage.

How fast were you going when cambelt snapped?

John
26-03-09, 09:44 PM
Take the head off and check for valve to piston damage first. Then sort your cambelt, if there is no damage.

How fast were you going when cambelt snapped?

Surely it would be better to re-time it up, and see if it runs before taking the head off? Ie fit another cambelt, carry out compression test and assess.

Bobaling
26-03-09, 09:44 PM
only about 40mph

i would have heard if there was any piston damage wouldn't I?

Pistol Pete
26-03-09, 09:51 PM
If the cambelt has snapped i myself would expect some damage and would be wary of fitting another belt and starting it. But everyone has a different approach to these things...

AlexW
26-03-09, 09:53 PM
1.2 8v's are valve safe.

Put a new belt on and away you go.

Bobaling
26-03-09, 09:56 PM
I think we are gonna change it and see :roll:

any tips on changing the belt?

AlexW
26-03-09, 09:58 PM
Buy a haynes and change the water pump at the same time.

chimp007_uk
26-03-09, 10:00 PM
It'll take 30mins to change the belt... Don't go buying a pump, if the engine is fooked its a waste. Get a belt on and see how it is, you'll know how to do it and can do a water pump at a later date if need be.

Leeboo
26-03-09, 10:05 PM
from experience, you won't need water pump. my method:

cambelt cover off, alt belt off, flywheel cover plate off gearbox, wedge screwdriver in to jam flywheel while you undo the nut for bottom alt pulley (won't be overly tight), wedge on new belt without disturbing timing, check tension and you might not need to tension the belt with the pump therefore no need for new pump. Rebuilt in reverse order.

Haynes manual will explain how to check tension.

Bobaling
26-03-09, 10:06 PM
cheers guys

i'll get on it tomorrow and tell you how it go's

AlexW
26-03-09, 10:07 PM
Might not even have to wedge the flywheel, i just put the car in gear and get somone to hold the brakes. works everytime.

chimp007_uk
26-03-09, 10:18 PM
I love Lee's old method of putting a breaker bar ont he alternator pulley weding on the floor and cranking the engine over, works a treat.

Ernie
26-03-09, 11:43 PM
I love Lee's old method of putting a breaker bar ont he alternator pulley weding on the floor and cranking the engine over, works a treat.

Done that myself a few times and always gets it undone.

Sloth
27-03-09, 12:07 AM
i did my 1.2 belt in 12 mins.... timed it for a giggle. no haynes just a cuppa tea and my tools...

Rich
27-03-09, 12:35 AM
If the cambelt has snapped i myself would expect some damage and would be wary of fitting another belt and starting it. But everyone has a different approach to these things...

Better way yes, but a waste of time money to find out its all ok imo! If anything it may have a couple of snapped rockers, but stick a belt on and see how you go:thumb:

Bobaling
27-03-09, 08:32 AM
just got the belt cover off
and the crank shaft is turning but the belt isn't
could this be a few teeth gone on the belt or something more serious?

Bobaling
27-03-09, 08:38 AM
just taken the rocker box cover off
and the camshaft has well and truly seized
is chewed up quite a bit of metal inside the camshaft housing and is dry as a bone!
any ideas as to my next move?
scrapyard to find a replacement?

MattBrown
27-03-09, 08:42 AM
Lack of Oil:thumb:

Bin the engine, get another for around 20plol

Was there enough and the correct oil in there?

Also, if its been sat, then the oil will have ran back to sump?

chimp007_uk
27-03-09, 10:56 AM
Bin it... People are basically giving them away on here. Get in the wanted section :)

Bobaling
27-03-09, 12:29 PM
too late!

i was at work this morning and in that time dads got a whole new camshaft housing from down the road! for a mere £30
there was plenty of oil in there, but it dried out soon enough as the bearing must have been red hot!
we are in the middle of replacing the camshaft and housing if it fails i'll be straight onto the wanted/ for sale section.

cheers
rob

Bobaling
27-03-09, 04:22 PM
Its done
housing has been changed
timing sounds a little bit out but can easily sort that

cheers guys
rob