PDA

View Full Version : Nova driveshaft nut thread size

steg1970
26-03-09, 06:00 AM
Can anyone tell me what the thread is on the end of Nova shafts at the hub and can you get Nyloc nuts to fit?

Thanks.

Adam*D
26-03-09, 07:42 AM
Why would you want nyloc nuts? put the split pin in and they wont fall off!!!

Guderian
26-03-09, 08:06 AM
Yep, I would say nylocs probably not available in that diameter or threads per inch anyway.

steg1970
26-03-09, 08:07 AM
Bit of a long story.

Its for my rally car, a couple of seasons ago I went through a spate of breaking driveshafts and CVs. I found that if I spaced the end of the shaft at the rear of the hub it prevented this happening. Unfortunately this meant that the castle nut didn't get down the shaft far enough to line up with a hole. I didn't want to re drill the shaft and cutting a nut down to a quarter its size doesn't seem like a good idea. Also the wheel bearings require constant attention on events and its a real ball ache to take the wheel, split pin and castle nut off each time to nip it up, especially on road sections between stages. With Nylocs I can just put the socket through the center of the wheel, job done.

Thats why:D

Pistol Pete
26-03-09, 09:08 AM
Drill a new hole? As said very much doubt you can get nylocks of that pitch or diameter....

EDIT, just re read your post. Cant see an issue with re drilling a hole. I myself would fancy trusting a nylock nut.

mikey14sr
26-03-09, 09:40 AM
Nylocs aren't designed to be re-used anywhere near that many times, in fact, they're designed to be used once only.

Also sounds like your using poor quality or badly fitted bearings if they need that much maintaince!