PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 Turbo!!!

Mcgowan
26-03-09, 01:23 AM
I really want to turbo my 1.2 just for giggles really! is this possible? would i need to modify the inlet manifold and what size turbo and amount of boost would work without blowing the engine to smithereens!! Has anyone done this before?????????? :confused: :thumb:

nova alex
26-03-09, 01:45 AM
dont yourkid know cause im sure he was going to turbo a 1.4 before for sarah or some thing along them lines

Sloth
26-03-09, 02:00 AM
yup search technicalsteve in projects. tbh not worth it. drop a c20ne in and add a t3 mate. 170bhp easy.

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 09:37 AM
yup search technicalsteve in projects. tbh not worth it. drop a c20ne in and add a t3 mate. 170bhp easy.

im with sloth dont bother with a 1.2 turbo not worth it!! go for 20ltr 8 valve and turbo that dude!!

AlexW
26-03-09, 09:40 AM
tbh tho, people say turbo'ing anything small is pointless. Daihatsu charade FTW! lol

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 09:42 AM
tbh tho, people say turbo'ing anything small is pointless. Daihatsu charade FTW! lol

nice little cars but they are not that fast at all!!

AlexW
26-03-09, 09:44 AM
There not slow tho! with a few mods they can be much quicker. I would have one if they didnt look ugly.

Spudly
26-03-09, 09:45 AM
nice little cars but they are not that fast at all!!

Um, yes they are dude :roll:

For a three pot 993cc yes they are as there used to be a few local including one which went like a whippet with a rocket up its behind, i cant beleive im agreeing with gayw06 but i am lmao!

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 09:46 AM
There not slow tho! with a few mods they can be much quicker. I would have one if they didnt look ugly.

i think they look allright me yea my mate had one was like 130 brake but he'd spent abit getting it there!! but he px'd it for a 5 turbo!!

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 09:48 AM
for what they are there quick like but then again how much would you be able to get before it goes bang!! i know off a chinquechento that has the van akken turbo conversion but if im big spending like that id want over 300 bhp lol

AlexW
26-03-09, 09:50 AM
lol Spud

I belive at one point (maybe still are) The fastest 1.0 production car in the world.

A mate of mine has one, well 2. Deffo quicker than a 1.3 fiesta lol

Spudly
26-03-09, 09:54 AM
Dropped on their lil asses they look pretty cool imo, was wierd i cant remember which site i was on (mightve been cav crazy) where someone posted up a picture of a dead grey one splattered across the road as it was too fast for the driver to handle on a back road and it was the old grey one from round here and it did indeed go like stink, it happily kept up with scoobies and lesser spec skylines and the like.

Now tell me thats not impressive for an engine similar to a corsa three pot lol

Jack
26-03-09, 09:55 AM
I belive at one point (maybe still are) The fastest 1.0 production car in the world.
Does the Nissan March dual charge count as a production car?

Don't forget 1.3 Starbo/Glanza V.

Problem with people who think small engine turbo cars are "slow" is that they're comparing them on the fact they're turbocharged, not the engine size, so compare them to >2.0T cars.

Spudly
26-03-09, 09:56 AM
Jack, Nail - hammer - head:thumb:

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 09:59 AM
i know there impressive for what they are but id rather have a let nova or a 5 turbo than one!! even though the 5 would blow up all the time i still have a soft spot for them lol

Pistol Pete
26-03-09, 09:59 AM

Difference is, thats built from the factory with a turbo....

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 10:02 AM
Difference is, thats built from the factory with a turbo....

you are right matey thats desighned to take the extra compresion!! ie thats why i think there is not much point to turboing up a 1.2 ohc lump lol you could bring it down a tad but id go for let power!!

Jack
26-03-09, 10:04 AM
id rather have a let nova or a 5 turbo than one!!
The LET Nova comment just proved my point above.

As for the '5. One of the worst looking cars EVER... could be the most reliable, fastest small engine turbocharged car in the universe but I still wouldn't have one based on the fact its even more cardboard box than a Nova! ....Thats IMO of course though, I know some poor misguided fools love them :)

AlexW
26-03-09, 10:05 AM
Jack - A what? lol March is a month to me lol

Iirc they were the fastest at one point, im not saying that they deffo are blah blah blah lol

But i know there from factory with one, yes there intended to have the boost, but theres still not much stopping a 1.2 being turned into a turbo. Im not saying that its really worth it. But maybe if you spent enough money it might put a smile on somones face.

This is why im currently saving to distroy my x14 :D

novaguy08
26-03-09, 10:06 AM
If yo do wanna turbo the 1.2 then you might wanna fit a C14SE inlet, the MPI system will work better then the SPI setup........ get the whole top end and get the head skimmed to fit. Not only that but the 1.4 injectors will flow a bit more gogo juice in then the lil thing they called an injector on the 1.2. but dont expect 300 horse from it......... think that with the proper tuning and blowing a few grand into the engine you might get 150with a 100 shot of nitrous lol

AlexW
26-03-09, 10:07 AM
Prob run better with 1.6 E16 stuff, air flow meter then lol

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 10:08 AM
The LET Nova comment just proved my point above.

As for the '5. One of the worst looking cars EVER... could be the most reliable, fastest small engine turbocharged car in the universe but I still wouldn't have one based on the fact its even more cardboard box than a Nova! ....Thats IMO of course though, I know some poor misguided fools love them :)

im not saying id rather have it beacause its 20ltr id rather have let beacause i know i can push 300bhp out of it!! how much would a 1ltr 3 cylinder produce at its limits??

and as for the 5 i like them beacause i went it my pals as a youth and it was RAPID!!! the look ok in my eyes but ash's 5 was well rapid i used to love it!!

Pistol Pete
26-03-09, 10:09 AM
An XE makes 150bhp and costs a couple of hundred quid. Is it really worth spending "a few grand" for the sake of being different?

novaguy08
26-03-09, 10:10 AM
true, but wont you end up needing to change most of the engine for that one? imo the C14se route may not work the bast but its the simplest route and therefore less likley to blow itself to peices........ easier to maintain and to live with..... not only that but would the 1.6 injectors not cause over fueling on idle things like that?

AlexW
26-03-09, 10:11 AM
you could end up spending a few grand on a XE.

And i know im bored of the usual 2.0s.

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 10:11 AM
An XE makes 150bhp and costs a couple of hundred quid. Is it really worth spending "a few grand" for the sake of being different?

thats the point im trying to make!! im not having a go at small engined turbo'd cars as i like 5 turbo's charades starlets ect!! just in my eyes i want big big power when i get a turbo'd motor!! i dont want something that will be hard to get 300 ponies out off it!!

novaguy08
26-03-09, 10:12 AM
This is true pete...... not arguing that its worth it....... its not, but it all depends on the situation, if you want to be different, or for poops & giggles or you have more money then brains thango for it

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 10:15 AM
as said it depends what your wanting out off it!! if your wanting 350 bhp dont bother if your wanting something to be differant go for it!! there was that 1.3 sr turbo on here years ago thats was differant!

Nova_Tek
26-03-09, 10:46 AM
Isn't a March a Micra?

Mate at the end of the day the only way to find out if its gonna be worth it is to do it.

I once thought of turboing my 1.2 carb but doing it properly so she'd last. It was going to take a bit of money to do it and wasn't as straight forward as I'd hoped (at the time not fully undertsanding what was actually required) Becasue of the cash reason I thought 'I'll hold out for a big block'.

If you are gonna do it for giggles then go for it, maybe a few things everyone may learn. If you want to do it seriously then go for it mate, your cash, your idea and its different.

I agree with RJ everyone is comparing a 1.2 to something almost twice the dsplacement. But if you do do it (lol I said do do) it will handle much better than any big block :D

:thumb:

robertdevlin69
26-03-09, 11:04 AM
if you have the bits and bobs to do it i say do it,but for god sake dont go spending hundreds or thousands on a smelly little 1.2,IMO the 1.6 is as small as i would go if i were turboing it

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 11:42 AM
1.6 is as small as i would go if i were turboing it

same here dude!!

Southie
26-03-09, 11:51 AM
Fiat Uno turbos FTW :D Total rotboxes but when like hell lol

I actually know someone who has fit one of these engines into his Fiat x19 for hillclimbs, it absolutely mental :D

Mcgowan
27-03-09, 03:51 AM
Well the reason i was thinking of this to everyone that says it's pointless is because i'd love to just drop a two litre in like everyone else would but my insurance wouldn't!!! and it's all very well saying don't tell them, but the local rozzers try and crush your car if its got so much as a k&n on and isn't declaredlol - And for the other comment yes i do have more money than sense, as if you ask Spudly you will learn that i am utterly stupid!! but thanx for the help anyway guys :thumb:

novaguy08
27-03-09, 06:10 AM
i think an xe would be better on the insurance then turbo charging considering the rest of the work you need to do to get it to that stage.

Stuart
27-03-09, 06:48 AM
If yo do wanna turbo the 1.2 then you might wanna fit a C14SE inlet, the MPI system will work better then the SPI setup........ get the whole top end and get the head skimmed to fit. Not only that but the 1.4 injectors will flow a bit more gogo juice in then the lil thing they called an injector on the 1.2. but dont expect 300 horse from it......... think that with the proper tuning and blowing a few grand into the engine you might get 150with a 100 shot of nitrous lol

agreed, mostly.

get a 1.4/1.6 mpi head (well ok take a 1.4/1.6 complete engine and throw away the block ) inlet, exhaust etc.

get a T2 adaptor made for the cast manifold. bodge up the pipe work.
sling on megasquirt and go kill the bitch

Jack
27-03-09, 08:58 AM
Isn't a March a Micra?
yeah, they did a 1.0 dual charged one (i.e. supercharger & turbocharger) version :D

if your wanting 350 bhp
...get a starbo. I've seen them hit 350. Not sure how reliable they'd be mind you lol

Well the reason i was thinking of this to everyone that says it's pointless is because i'd love to just drop a two litre in like everyone else would but my insurance wouldn't!!!
I'd be very surprised if the insurance on a 1.2T was any more than a few quid cheaper than an XE.

Mind you, I'd also be surprised to see 150bhp out of a blown 1.2. I reckon a more realistic target would be around 90-100bhp; if you want reliability and driveability you'd be looking more at the 80bhp mark. At least there'd be shedloads of room in the engine bay to knock up a pretty efficient cooling system.

Stuart
27-03-09, 12:01 PM
yeah, they did a 1.0 dual charged one (i.e. supercharger & turbocharger) version :D

...get a starbo. I've seen them hit 350. Not sure how reliable they'd be mind you lol

I'd be very surprised if the insurance on a 1.2T was any more than a few quid cheaper than an XE.

Mind you, I'd also be surprised to see 150bhp out of a blown 1.2. I reckon a more realistic target would be around 90-100bhp; if you want reliability and driveability you'd be looking more at the 80bhp mark. At least there'd be shedloads of room in the engine bay to knock up a pretty efficient cooling system.

balls :p

100bhp is kinda feesable N/A from a 1.2. I'd say 150 was a nice target to aim for with a turbo'd one... but only if the build is done properly and not a pikey special like most people seem to suggest when F/I''ing an 8v engine.

bai1ey
27-03-09, 12:21 PM

i have heard of these making 250 bhp that are nye on 100 in standard form

has no one tryed a r5 eninge into a nova yet maybe that a route to look into if you want a small turbo'ed engine or a glanza starlet engine

dj_wudgey
27-03-09, 12:28 PM
i have heard of these making 250 bhp that are nye on 100 in standard form

has no one tryed a r5 eninge into a nova yet maybe that a route to look into if you want a small turbo'ed engine or a glanza starlet engine

no point dude be forever going bang with a 5 turbo lump!! and speaking off uno turbo's they may be sh*t but i also have a big soft spot for those!!

but i dont know if it will be cheap on the insurance with turboing it up like even if it is a 1.2!!

AlexW
27-03-09, 12:37 PM
Just reading this thread again, if you turboed a 1.2 and it went wrong at most youve got to buy a new block/head etc etc for about £20 but do that on a 2.0 and its £200 (depending where you live that is lol)

Sloth
27-03-09, 01:21 PM
id like a starly tubby powered nova.....

Jack
27-03-09, 01:32 PM
You'd have an onion bhaji powered car if it were even remotely possible

Stu, I'm being conservative here. 55bhp standard, I'd say a turbo adding 50% to that would be in the OEM work-all-day-without-falling-apart range. 100 would be tops for regular reliability and 150 would probably melt for a passtime lol

novaguy08
27-03-09, 04:29 PM
I think a 1.2 turbo would be a giggle, making a ton from that engine would be really realistic, but i agree with razor jack, 150 would melt on a regular basis (at boost!) as it would entail 3 times more power then the engine was designed for...... if you were to do that kinda power, on that engine, forged internals are an absolute must, however i would be willing to put money on there not being forged internals for the 1.2, just no-one spends money on them! Im going to tune mine for poops and giggles when i got money to do so, that and i dont really want an C20XE in there, just wanna stay different! (im weird like that before anyone pokes at me!) but im not planning on a turbo addition, maybe a supercharger as they better but turbo'ing is a huge long shot and involves splurging far too much money to be reasonable! I wouldnt get unbelivable expectations of 150hp, if your looking for that kinda power, turbo a C16SE, or spend upwards or £5k!!!
that would work out at £50 per horse power! (the extra 100hp given) as well as maintainance costs!!
Bucket, hole, water, aint gonna work is it?