PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock Removal?

areofall
25-03-09, 08:34 PM
Was taking the rear shocks out of the nova this evening and they are the original ones it left the factory with, put the spanner on and it's well seized, I give it the message and I think it's about to shear inside the shock mounting, Just wondering if the threaded bolt housing to the drum side is a part of the back axle, if I cut the shock off will it knock out? This is the last resort but I'll bring home burning gear tomorrow night and freezing stuff to try to shock it, failing that I can cut the shock off and weld on a new nut inside the shock mounting. Has any one had this problem, any tips?

Dod
25-03-09, 08:48 PM
Ok, from what I gather, you're having trouble with the bolt in the rear beam as opposed to the bolt inside the boot?

If I'm right you'll really need to be careful as these bolts can snap. If at all possible, cover it with Cokacola as you wouldnt believe how good it is at freeing stuff up,. Before you try to remove the bolt, turn it without stressing it, spray some WD40 on it and tighten it up again, repeat this process while winding it out a little further each time.

If its the top mount in the boot, an Air gun should take it off in no time.

Asa-James
25-03-09, 08:49 PM
i think its just a welded captive nut, try the burning/freezing gear, or take the easy option and find another rear beam...edit--or listen tot dod, your call!

areofall
25-03-09, 08:54 PM
It's the rear beam captive nut, I'm near sure it's going to shear the bolt, I'll heat it up and freeze a few time and maybe just leave it a week, spraying it daily. I've only tried one and cleaned the exposed thread, though if the thread on the nut is ok I can make a jig on the lathe and drill it out and tap it out, finger corssed I don't need to take the beam out!

ade
25-03-09, 09:02 PM
I'm having similar probs but its the bolt in the boot I cannae get off - it just spins round and round turning the shock turret with it...

stuartyj21
25-03-09, 09:04 PM
let it soak in wd40 and like dod says loosen and then tighten it and just repeat this until you feel it making progress..

Pistol Pete
25-03-09, 09:05 PM
^ turning the turret? OMG rusted through?

areofall, WD40 FTW. And maybe a good knock with a hammer?

areofall
25-03-09, 09:14 PM
I'm having similar probs but its the bolt in the boot I cannae get off - it just spins round and round turning the shock turret with it...

Cut down the sides of the nut with a junior hack saw, as long as the top threads aren't damaged a new nut will tidy the threads further down.

brainsnova
25-03-09, 09:26 PM
i snapped the nut off the bottom shock mount but held it will a spanner when i tightened it back up.

Dod
25-03-09, 10:09 PM
Aero, try my suggestion and see how that works for you, there should be a place to spray the inside of the bolt under the beam.

Ade, try an air gun on it and that should knock it out, failing that, try and get a pair of ice grips on the rod as tight as possible and try the air gun again. Failing that, cut the top off it with a 4" grinder and just buy a replacement shock, but grease it well before fitting it up. Also, 2 regular nuts in place of the Nylon lock nut, Koni Style.

AlexW
25-03-09, 10:22 PM

I thought it was a case or putting mole grips or a small spanner on the little flat bit at the end of the shock?

Nova_Tek
25-03-09, 10:47 PM
Id go with what Dod said, sounds like a plan.

On tough bolts I normally soak in WD40, tap the bolt head with a hammer, then using a socket or spanner rather then turn by hand hit the socket wrench / spanner with the hammer. It normally shocks the bolt and frees it up. But don't go mental on it, just some moderate taps nothing crazy.

brainsnova
25-03-09, 10:57 PM
the quick way to get the top of if its a cali is take the bottom bolt off and bend it out the wheel arch and the top snaps off lol

jimbob-mcgrew
26-03-09, 12:15 AM
I thought it was a case or putting mole grips or a small spanner on the little flat bit at the end of the shock?

^ yeh second that for ade on the mole grip front, if still they slip, stillsons will do the job, if not angle grind the bitch out

Pistol Pete
26-03-09, 09:12 AM

8mm spanner IIRC. Thats how i have always done the rears. IIRC same on the fronts aswell.