PDA

View Full Version : mk2 golf veiws

stevie-p
25-03-09, 08:30 PM
any ideas on what a mk2 golf is like 3 door driver
unsure of engine size

my old man beleives they burn oil and grotty, build quality is shi*e,
rattle cans and so on...
but unless it has a griffin to him its ****e.

so what do you lot think

cheers steve
:thumb:

Sloth
25-03-09, 08:33 PM
seen em take mass abuse, and do 200k miles. service em and that, and there fine. its like a jumbo nova imho. driver should be a 1.6 or 1.8 carb.

matt_vaughan
25-03-09, 08:33 PM
Probably just as bad as any griffin as far as rot goes.

Probably pretty slow even the 1.6 one, IIRC they did a 1.3 too

Solid though, well my mums old one used to be

Asa-James
25-03-09, 08:37 PM
pants. hence why my GTi is for sale, £200 if you know anyone who wants it.

Rickardo
25-03-09, 08:41 PM
i like the Mk2 Golf, had one for age's.. REALLY slow though, apart from that, no prob's at all. :thumb:

shy witness
25-03-09, 08:52 PM
i'm scared to offer an opinion here to be honest(as i'm a total vauxhall head).....

but i'm actually driving a wee mk2 golf gti(8 valve) at the minute..and its a crackin car.

looks great.....goes well......takes abuse.......handels well....easy to get parts for.....no weldinging on mine(so i reckon theyre well enough boddied)......tidy interior/sunroof/electric windows etc...and alot better put together than any standard nova to be honest.

i'm really happy with mine ..........as i only really bought it for the winter..to blast about in.....but to be honest....i doubt i'll sell it on at all now.

hopefully its the kinda car i can stick in the garage for a few years........and not lose any street 'Kred' haha(or money to be honest)

Asa-James
25-03-09, 08:58 PM
lmbo! i've had mine 12 months, its been off the road since october as up to that point it had cost me nearly twice what i paid for it in the first place. and thats with a car with stacks of history. basically you can get good uns and bad uns, i got a bad un, and personally wouldnt touch them again (its the third bad one i've had) but you never know til you buy it. agreed on the build quality, 160,000 miles and barely a rattle from inside, i've given it loads of stick and it keeps going, but i disagree on the handling front, the gearbox ratio's are all wrong for me, and they are a heavy car for what they are, so i never really had "fun" in the twisty bits.

kc_08
25-03-09, 10:26 PM
pretty good cars, im not sure about the driver's but my brother had a 1.8gti 16v did shift for what it was, dropped a 110+mm so it was abit ruff lol, took hammering, brought it off his mate for 550 and he paid 350 for it =/ but the ******* blew up after a week so he sold it for spares, but i wouldnt mind one, hard to get a low milage one now days tho

Joe Richardson
25-03-09, 10:28 PM
nice cars:thumb:

bang a 1.8t 20v in to it ASAP:cool:

stevie-p
25-03-09, 10:29 PM
i dont have one was thinking about it or selling up the saloon for one
but not too sure

scotty GSI
25-03-09, 10:34 PM
cool cars, lot of my mates had these when i was in school. Wont set the world on fire in the performance stakes. Handle pretty good and tend to be solid old barges.

Make sure you've had your weatabix though, proper keep fit steering.

Tommydewe
25-03-09, 10:47 PM
i like these cars, dosent take much to make them looking good!
i dont no how they run but i no there quite nippy!
i wouldnt mind the 1.3 one but there rare because of the engine size :(

Asa-James
25-03-09, 10:49 PM
not worth the 1.3, only rated at about 45bhp iirc
and the steering isnt that heavy, no heavier than a nova with an xe i'd imagine

Bubba
25-03-09, 10:50 PM
iv seen the 1.8 gti 8v's that few of my mates have be abused 24/7 and they didnt die.

nice cars, bit hard to indervidually style them now

scotty GSI
25-03-09, 11:43 PM
not worth the 1.3, only rated at about 45bhp iirc
and the steering isnt that heavy, no heavier than a nova with an xe i'd imagine

Cant agree with you on that one im afraid. Every nova ive ever driven has been far lighter on the arms. Golf i was driving was just a lowly cl with diddy wee biscuit wheels :confused:

Asa-James
25-03-09, 11:47 PM
tbh i've never driven an xe'd nova, just my old small blocks, but my GTI isnt heavy at all, even when i put wider tyres on it was fine...

and it isnt a PAS model, before anyone asks

dj_wudgey
26-03-09, 09:53 AM
i like the way they look but then i wouldent have one after my mums lol

Pistol Pete
26-03-09, 09:54 AM
Not bad cars. Never had one but a good friend had a very tidy more door GTi.