PDA

View Full Version : CARBS ON AN SRI

mckel
12-01-03, 05:56 AM
I wont to know if it is possible to fit carbs to a 1.4 sri nova and if so what do i need to do and roughly how much were talkin.

Dicko
12-01-03, 09:26 AM
yes its a very good engine to do it on as the head is 1 of the best ever made!
you need the inlet manifold (?120) then the twin carbs, best gpicking them up 2nd hand with filters and linkage kit.
Make sure you have a good high flow exhaust and probably a fast raod cam.
you will also need a regulator of some sort as you have an injection fuel tank!

ollster
12-01-03, 12:16 PM
i have thought about this but i think it would be a little too complicated. For a start you would have to regulate the fuel pressure as dicko said, but the main problem is that the computer controlls the ignition timing using the various sensors (lambda probe, map sensor, crank sensor etc.) and if you were to junk the injection system this would all have to go too. So you would have to change your dizzy to an adjustable one like on an SR. The lambda probe hole in the exhaust manifold would also have too be bunged up, depending on what year the sri motor is you may also have to add an sr coil, as the later ones used DIS packs.

Im sure its possible to do but it would involve a lot more work than simply converting an sr. If you do do it please post on here if it was a success

Dicko
12-01-03, 04:27 PM
yes if you have dispak its more tricky, otherwise piece of p1ss

mckel
12-01-03, 05:51 PM
A THINK AL SCRAP THAT IDEA ANYWAY TO MUCH HASSLE ANY OTHER ENGINE MOD APART FORM CAMS AND A PERFORMANCE HEAD.

neiloakley
14-01-03, 03:50 PM
WHY WOULD you need to weld up the hole in the exhaust? just leave the lambda sensor in there.

craig green
16-01-03, 04:45 PM
Get a Blydenstein B+ pack cylinder head, the 1.4 SRI head is very restrictive as standard, thus great results can be had. Or for the best performance gain try a turbo conversion from Courtnay. I did this and havent lost at the lights since! Nova's with a waste gate are guaranteed to turn heads. Think of the potential with raised boost, water injection & methanol mixture and octane booster.

neiloakley
16-01-03, 04:49 PM
just try getting hold of Blydenstein. think they have gone bust!!!!

MC
16-01-03, 05:10 PM
Craig, the potential you mention is one of the three head gaskets blowing :lol: Only kidding!

Blydenstein, is actually Bill Blydenstein. He's a one man operation, and its not always easy to get hold of him. He limits the time actually in the office (approaching retirement). Keep trying.

craig green
16-01-03, 05:17 PM
Simpler way to a B+ is settle for B pack (just enlarged inlet valves) and get it from Courtnay (rumoured to be a 'Bill' head) CS15

Jim
16-01-03, 06:42 PM
I heard theres a guy at Velos that use to work with Bill Blydenstein. It might be worth getting in touch with Velos, as they tend to be rated better than Courtney or Regal.

Jim