PDA

View Full Version : Stripping bumper paint?

kent14sr
24-03-09, 01:41 PM
Does anyone have any tips on removing paint from a bumper? Its been badly painted in the past and despite lots of it flaking the rest seems quite stubborn to remove!!

MattBrown
24-03-09, 02:05 PM
Nitro morse?

Or would that melt the bumper?

hc coupe
24-03-09, 02:38 PM
SAND PAPER !!! , fine grit so not to cut into the bumper its self !

Are you looking to get it back to its original colour or just to be able to paint it again ? I know that some MK1 bumpers (believe most besides the GTE) have a textured bumper, so I wouldn't sand that as you'll just lose the texture sanding off the paint .....

However IMO i'd wait until somebody else gives you a better idea.

kent14sr
24-03-09, 02:42 PM
Well, its originally a mk1 sr bumper but been painted white

Where paint has flaked its gone to the yellow plastic (through the grey original finish) so ideally I want to get it all back so I can prime it and then paint it grey again

hc coupe
24-03-09, 04:08 PM
Hmm well I guess I'd sand it back to a good enough finish :

I would give it a good going over with sand paper (at least until the paint has lost its colour/shine
I would then give it a good clean and let it dry out
Prime and let it dry out
Sand that back again and clean
Prime a few more times letting it dry after each
Cut that back (Wet and Dry and go over very soft)
Clean it upThen hit it with the colour you want and do it a few times letting it dry
If you want to get picky about it all go HERE (http://bap.dominohosting.biz/members/bap/bapdb01.nsf/Plookup2/62-20-100VAUXHALLNOVA4-83-3-93!EditDocument&Ret=ALL) and do it right...

Again thats only what I would try/do, and I'm not fussed lol .

areofall
25-03-09, 08:58 PM
It will still need prep'd but before sanding I take it to a hot power wash first, if it badly painted this should take a bit of it off

CoolTiger
25-03-09, 09:35 PM
i bought a bumper from the scrapyard which had been badly painted just went over with 320 grip paper on a sander :)

then over again with 400 scotched high build pimer and paint