PDA

View Full Version : C20LET Nova

DDC
24-03-09, 11:46 AM
Looking at buying a C20LET Nova soon. The car won't be used for a daily drive. However been warned off by a few mates who tell me the shell will crack. Whats the bad points of owning a Nova with the LET conversion?

Sloth
24-03-09, 11:47 AM
hmm, the shell will split if its not braced right, or seam welded etc. downsides are probably fixing the let in the novas bay, if it goes wrong. the let lads will be along soon bud with more detail...

nova_saloon
24-03-09, 11:48 AM
nothing as long as its done properly! working on the engine is a bitch because its very tight, but if its got a chassiss plating kit then it should hold together well and should of been stitched welded everywhere and not seam welded because then it will crack

Plunky
24-03-09, 11:49 AM
i cant think of any major problems, obviously if the shell has been prepped properly then you wont encounter too many problems on that front.
if i had the opportunity to go LET with my car i would!

BIGS
24-03-09, 11:53 AM
It all depends how the conversion was done. If it has been seem welded the right way. If it is NO RUST around the crossmember other wise put yuor foot down and that will just crack and come away from the car. And also if it has equal length shafts or not. if it hasnt i cant state how much you should get these. they will reduce torque steer alot!

DDC
24-03-09, 11:59 AM
Been told I would be better of getting a Corsa B or Astra MK3. Always wanted a wee Nova though tbh.

BIGS
24-03-09, 12:01 PM
why listion to anyone else, you know what you want. you have to drive it not other people!

DDC
24-03-09, 12:05 PM
That's true but don't want my wallet paying for it constantly.

Sloth
24-03-09, 12:08 PM
you will kinda pay for any let conversion, even in the std cars they cost cash.

andybishop
24-03-09, 12:15 PM
As said, if the conversions been done properly you won't have a problem with it pulling apart, as long as it's been stitch welded and had the plates on the front panel welded in you should be fine. Make sure you have a good look round all the seams when looking at cars. Only problems i've had with mine are due to rust behind the turrets from dodgy mot repairs which I found when stripping it down to rebuild it.

nova_saloon
24-03-09, 12:17 PM
HA ^^^ Know the sodding feeling :'(

EUROTURBO
24-03-09, 02:45 PM
as long as its been prepared properly for the engine and horsepower you should be ok, just use your common sense when buying it and if he dont seam to have a clue bout the shell or engine and just says its quick...walk away....

there fairly reliable as long as you dont drive it like a donut everywhere, remember its not a race car its a nova with a big engine lol...

good luck with your purchase...!!

R1CH
24-03-09, 06:43 PM
Your gonna be having to pay a good £3.5k+ if you want a decent one, the amount of sh*tters you see on Piston Heads / Ebay ect ... that have pipes / wires routed all over the place are using an F20 box and are still on a cheapo suspension kit, avoid them like the clap !!
Obviously you want a clean shell, and IMO it NEEDS to have the F28, propper suspension (to suit an LET), at least 16v brakes (with decent discs & pads), Poly bushes, uprated engine mounts, 1/2 decent intercooler ....
Theres enough room in the Nova bay to do pretty much every job you'll need to do, the main reason folk say they are unreliable is because of p*ss poor convertions and the fact that most the LET's have a good few miles on them now and as soon as there dropped into a Nova / Corsa they get hammered, which leads to then going bang !!
Bit more time and money involved but if you wanna decent one, build it yourself !!

krobinson
24-03-09, 07:47 PM
I second what R1CH has said, build one yourself.

Adam
24-03-09, 07:53 PM
Been told I would be better of getting a Corsa B or Astra MK3. Always wanted a wee Nova though tbh.
IMO a LET mk3 astra is a great car. (ive not owned one btw, just what others have said)
Nice sized car, and will take the power much better than a nova or corsa.
And its still reasonably light compared to similar sized cars.....

DDC
24-03-09, 07:55 PM
How much would it cost building one yourself?

Adam
24-03-09, 08:00 PM
Thousands...

A 100k engine and gearbox will cost about a grand.

At a min id budget about 2-3k, depending if you already have the car to use in the 1st place etc.