PDA

View Full Version : redundant

stevie-p
23-03-09, 08:40 PM
as a few no i was doing an apprenticship in mechanics and it is the one week a month i go to college

got a phonecall this morning asking if i could go into work before college ... ok then here we go:roll:

after a few excusses and bull...

ive had a dillema over the weekend said the boss
i cant afford to keep you here :wtf:

and as of that i am jobless:mad:

Asa-James
23-03-09, 08:53 PM
ouch! gutted for you mate, how far in to the apprenticeship were you?

Joe Richardson
23-03-09, 08:57 PM
****e news mate:mad: :mad:

Im doing my apprenticeship now,mechanic,into my second year,and i worry about keeping my Job everyday,It's ****e at the minute:(

stevie-p
23-03-09, 09:08 PM
i was just coming to an end of my first year hopefully ill be able to carry it on and find somewhere quick but the chances dont look to good but fingers crossed

Joe Richardson
23-03-09, 09:15 PM
i was just coming to an end of my first year hopefully ill be able to carry it on and find somewhere quick but the chances dont look to good but fingers crossed

who were you working for mate ?

stevie-p
23-03-09, 09:17 PM
just a small buiseness in brislington

Pistol Pete
23-03-09, 09:23 PM
Can your lecturers at college not help you find a new placement? Seeing as you are part way through your apprentiship??

Bad news though....

Emmy
23-03-09, 09:32 PM
Sorry to hear about that :( Im sure there will be other options for you though.

chris gsi
23-03-09, 09:39 PM
the garage i work at made 2 out of 3 apprentices redundant at christmas and 2 mechanics, its not a good time in the trade at the min

Nova_Tek
23-03-09, 09:40 PM
Bummer mate, just what you don't need especially in the middle of an apprentiship.

Join the club.

*Suggestion: Have an unemployment section on PNG seeing as so many of us arent having much luck at tho mo... argh!

stevie-p
23-03-09, 10:02 PM
yes indeed they can help

but how far will a college go seeing as they will be doing it to somebody
who is no longer ''associated'' to the college as funds will stop being paid to them?

i cant see them being too bothered

General Baxter
23-03-09, 10:33 PM
it will all pick up in the motor-trade after the financial year

dhl one of the people look after, have been given a weekly budget, they can spend that all on monday, no more repair work for the rest of the week,

used to be in the 24/7, now only about 5 hours a week lol

but it will pick up :)

dj_wudgey
24-03-09, 12:31 AM
gutted for you matey but thats the way its going at the mo dude hope you get something sorted soon mate!!

Ernie
24-03-09, 08:34 AM
welcome to the jobless clan mate.

dj_wudgey
24-03-09, 11:15 AM
well id take it as a chance to get out off a really **** trade matey go train in something else there is f*ck all money in mechanics!!!

Jack
24-03-09, 11:19 AM
there is f*ck all money in mechanics!!!
Really? The two mechanics I know best are both reporting a roaring trade at the moment (one of which is a firm disbeliever of the credit crunch as their books are bulging with people doing aftermarket mods).

Sloth
24-03-09, 11:26 AM
it depends who ya speak to. maindealers arew dying, independants are okish, and modding companys are flooded....

Jack
24-03-09, 11:29 AM
and modding companys are flooded....
...which goes against the theory of a credit crunch, i.e. that people have less disposable income.

Unless everyone in that particular boat is on an variable interest-only mortgage and are currently reaping the benefits!

Sloth
24-03-09, 11:41 AM
indeed, my mate fits ice, he was seriously struggling in the last bit of 2008, he took £3k last month after everything else was deducted... its over hyped imho, but it will be long and drawn out tbh, we'll still be in the shiznay in 2012...

AlexW
24-03-09, 01:09 PM
Im still doing okish. My brother that works at a main dealer is fine too, servicing etc is up as people dont want to buy new cars!

Tidy Max
24-03-09, 04:05 PM
you will be allowed back to college for a minimum of another 3 sessions, and if your under 25, the government covers your fees, not your employer, so its in the colleges interest to keep you on!

gutted to here about that pal :( best of luck job hunting, not ideal, but if worst comes to worst, tell your boss you will volunteer for 1/2 days a week until you can find another job so you can stay on with the apprenticeship!

yes indeed they can help

but how far will a college go seeing as they will be doing it to somebody
who is no longer ''associated'' to the college as funds will stop being paid to them?

i cant see them being too bothered

dj_wudgey
24-03-09, 04:44 PM
Really? The two mechanics I know best are both reporting a roaring trade at the moment (one of which is a firm disbeliever of the credit crunch as their books are bulging with people doing aftermarket mods).

i wasnt implying the trade is doing crap at the moment ive been a mechanic and tyre fitter and worked my balls off for not that much money i know pen pushers on more!!

was just saying its a sh*te job to do that doe's not pay brilliant lol

white2lSR
24-03-09, 06:23 PM
ive been a mechanic and tyre fitter

In that order? I work as a shift mechanic and I do all right. I get paid more than people I know who have office jobs and work in IT

dj_wudgey
24-03-09, 09:08 PM
In that order? I work as a shift mechanic and I do all right. I get paid more than people I know who have office jobs and work in IT

no other way around dude im not no more though i quit it i like working on my car but f*ck doing some one elses!! its just how hard you get worked for like 15 grand a year not worth it imo!!

keithrg
24-03-09, 10:54 PM
you will be allowed back to college for a minimum of another 3 sessions, and if your under 25, the government covers your fees, not your employer, so its in the colleges interest to keep you on!

gutted to here about that pal :( best of luck job hunting, not ideal, but if worst comes to worst, tell your boss you will volunteer for 1/2 days a week until you can find another job so you can stay on with the apprenticeship!

this is a good IDEA You could even spread yourself around a few garages in the area to get the hours you need. You can sign on to when your not at college. They might try and get on your back abit but the jobs are sparse so you can play it a while then next by next full. Hopefully you would have made an impresion and get a paid apprentaship again.:thumb:

When my GF was told may be made redundent at christmas, I said not to worry. I said go bank rupt claim social and do volenter work till you get another job. As she was worring about not being able to complete her degree and pay her loan.