PDA

View Full Version : Somethings not right!

Anonymous
31-07-00, 07:08 PM
Ok
Just put a new cylinder head of an Si Astra on my 1.4 SR and its not runnin the best.
Its making like a putting noise putt putt putt (u get the idea) as the engine runs.
It also starts different doesnt usually start on first go but starts instantly on 2nd go.
Might be timing or something.
Would appreciate anything any of yous can tell on how to fix it soon.
cheers

Anonymous
01-08-00, 06:30 PM
why did u put the head on in the first place?

is it because somebody reckons that u get 30 hp?

i dont think so

if the lad did get a power increase then it was because it was gasflowed/ported and skimmed

Anonymous
01-08-00, 10:37 PM
I only set out to put new valve stem seals on and got a bit carried away.
The valves and chambers are much bigger though and i got it skimmed and ported so i do expect to see a noticable gain in power.
Fingers crossed.
I'll tell u once i've fixed this prob.

Anonymous
02-08-00, 09:26 AM
Mikey Owens, You dont think so.... It's my (rally) car and if the engine made 100 ish bhp before i fitted the head and it made 130 ish after then i rekon its a 30bhp increase. Yes it was ported, like it said in my previous post, at great expense, not just polished so it looks nice. And as My brother and I built the car from a wreck, built the engine, fitted throttle bodies, mapped it oursleves, raced it and won this years British 1400cc championship then i guess i know what i'm talking about!!

p.s. This 'lad' is 29 years old.

Anonymous
02-08-00, 11:17 AM
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!
HA HA
SOMEONE DISAGREES WITH MICKY!!
HEH HEH!

Anonymous
02-08-00, 05:48 PM
calm down
calm down
OK. Fun and games as the arguin is,
is anybody gonna tell me how to fix this.
Pls.

Anonymous
03-08-00, 08:43 AM
Is the cam timed up correctly?
Have you checked the ignition timing ?
Is it just an exhaust manifold leak or does the engine run like a real dog?
Is it leaking any fluids from the cylinder head gasket?
How much did you have skimmed off the head?
I had to modify the pistons as the valves touched. If you had a big chunk skimmed off the head then theres a small possibilty that the locating dowels will stop the head seating correctly and cause a leak at the head gasket.
If I think of anything else i'll let you know.

Anonymous
07-08-00, 06:31 PM
Tim i would'nt worry about the engine, the amount of rust your nova has is unbelieveable(sorry just wanted to take the piss out of ya)