PDA

View Full Version : urgent help - misfiring :(

ade
11-01-03, 02:30 PM
Need help guys,

My mk2 1.2 carbbed engine is misfiring badly - coming to work this afternoon - doing 80 and it just gradually started to sound like a tank. Pulled over and discovered its number 1 cylinder (the one nearest the dizzy cap). Removed HT lead and engine note didnt change a bit. Checked spark to HT using block and there is one but not firing the cylinder. Checked dizzy and cleaned it - thats fine too. Fitted new spark plugs (prev ones looked ok) and a spark was getting to the plug but still not firing on number 1.

Cant really drive the car although did manage to crawl to work slowly.

Can anyone help?

Its not smoking and my water/oil pressure is fine (not drinking water which would suggest head gasket)

Ironically at the exact same time my engine went funy my "new wife" called me to tell me shed just crashed her car (reversed into a gate post and smashed the moulded bumper!) :x

Bloody sods law aint it! :(

ade

Cheese
11-01-03, 02:44 PM
Ade,
Check the thread in spark plug hole in the head, and make sure this is reasonably clean to help the plug make a good earth.
Try changing the HT lead aswell if you have one spare.
Make sure the small cap on the top of the S/plug is screwed down tightly.
Did you clean the 'terminals' inside the dizzy cap?

Hope that helps

Ben :D

brian
11-01-03, 03:22 PM
well ade if ya have spark comin through the lead then it must be that the plug is not earthin right as cheese said or else its a more serious valve problem?
If ya still haven't got anywhere try a compression test.

ade
11-01-03, 05:18 PM
think its time to junk the engine and get a bigger one.

M8's got knows a m8 with a garage with an astra engine 1600 (think gte) - says it will drop right in - gearbox and all for ?300!

Time to upgrade - just a litle tight on cash!

Ade
:?

brian
11-01-03, 05:53 PM
thats prob a carb engine cos the gte astra was 1.8 and 2.0 but still better than 1.2!

rob.slader
11-01-03, 05:55 PM
MK1 Astra GTE was available in 1600 I think too?

CP
11-01-03, 08:44 PM
Difficult to say - prob need to do a compression test before you try anything else? Could also be a crack in dizzy cap?

Dicko
11-01-03, 08:50 PM
if its out an astra it will be a 16sv which is only 80bhp not exactly a performance engine!!
better to replace with a 1300/1400sr engine really!

Aragorn
11-01-03, 10:18 PM
yup as dicko said and i tried to say to ade on msn

dont get the astra lump - it could be a big block and even if it aint its waay underpowered compared to the nova engines

dave.gsi
12-01-03, 02:49 AM
Ironically at the exact same time my engine went funy my "new wife" called me to tell me shed just crashed her car (reversed into a gate post and smashed the moulded bumper!)

novaloads crashing virus continues lol

ade
13-01-03, 01:04 PM
looking at getting a 1.4 sr engine - the guys currently looking at mine - I think my valves are sticking - oil was changed recently but when cold its like thick honey! really sluggish when turning over - then fires (before all this started to happen) -

In the garage now - will keep you posted

Ade

ade
14-01-03, 10:37 AM
well it turned out my cylinder head warped! :evil:

So its cheaper to get a new engine so I'm getting a recon 1.4 fitted.

Not bad for ?300

Ade