PDA

View Full Version : New Modifications

Tazzy
10-01-03, 11:04 PM
I have a 1.2i Nova, but I have a bit of a problem, I am unsure of a few modifications, which would be the best options?

1) I don’t know much about this, but I was thinking of putting a 1.2 16v Head from a Corsa onto the Nova, would this work? Or is one of them an OHV or OHC? But if not, I was also thinking of putting on a 1.3 SR Camshaft, but if I were to use the cam, will I need anything else from the SR engine? Are these mods possible? And which one would release more power and be the better option?

2) I might be wrong here, but I think the 1.2 has a F12 gearbox, but I have an option to uprate it, I know someone who has a F16 gearbox from an Astra GTE as they plan to put a F20 onto their 2.0 8v engine, I also know someone who has a F14 from a Nova GTE, but which one would be the best? Could I put the F16 Gearbox onto the 1.2? or either put the F14 onto the 1.2 and the F16 onto the Nova GTE? I’ve been told to put the F14 on to the 1.2 due to the gearbox ratios being too big on the F16 and put the F16 onto the Nova GTE, but I’ve also been told that the F16 would be better as it is the bigger gearbox, so which one would be best? Also, are these jobs difficult? Would it be lots of work?

Sorry to ask so many questions, which would be the best options?
- 1.2 16v head or 1.3 SR cam?
- F14 gearbox or F16 gearbox?

Cheerz!

Ben (lurk75)
11-01-03, 07:37 AM
just being picky but the Nova GTE's had F13 gearboxes

Dicko
11-01-03, 09:57 AM
1) the 1.3 cam wou help a little but not worth the effort as you would need new bolts and probably a new head gasket and if you idd it urself youd b looking at ?70-?100.

2) the 1.2 has an f10-4 (maybe f10-5) the only viable upgrade is if u only have the 4 speed box and you upgrade to a 5 speed otherwise not muhc point really.

brian
11-01-03, 03:16 PM
The F16 wouldn't fit as it's for big block engines (1.8/2.0)

Tazzy
12-01-03, 01:41 AM
Cheers for the help guys, i did say i didnt know much, im new to modding engines, and the lack of knowledge of the gearboxes, well, i think im going to have to change my resourses!

Anyway, would i be able to put the gte f13 box onto a mk2 1.2i and have a noticeable gain?

Also, ive been recommended to use the 1.3 cam (i should get my advice form here really!) but the 1.2 16v head has interested me, can it be done, and is it worth it?

cheers!

_JH_
12-01-03, 11:42 AM
no, the gte engine has a bigger flywheel so the f13 wont fit. get a f10-5 close ratio box.

on the end of the gearbox that faces the wheel on the passenger side, you should find a code thats about 12 or 13 digits long. in the middle will either be a "C" or a "W" which tells you if its close or wide ratio.

Tazzy
12-01-03, 03:25 PM
Cheerz, what Novas have a close ratio f10-5 box ?

match
12-01-03, 07:00 PM
1300 sr novas had the f10-5 gearbox. i got a spare 1 if ya interested mate,

Tazzy
15-01-03, 01:35 AM
Sound!

i am actually looking round for an SR Donor car, i found one however, but what else would i need from it?

i was thinking the gearbox, clutch, drivshafts, cam, manifold, down pipe and distributor, any of these i shouldnt have? ive been told to use these, ive been told to use the calipers as well, but ive been told these are the same as well!

is there anything in this list of which i could get better from other stuff?

cheerz!

Fester
15-01-03, 10:59 AM
it would be easier to just put the whole SR engine/gearbox in together than faff around with changing all that lot

neiloakley
15-01-03, 11:09 AM
:o Just think of all the dark nights when your freezing ur nuts off changing engines in the cold. :(

match
15-01-03, 11:32 AM
:( what fun that is too :twisted:

and the cold sundays spent faffin about with it......oh the joys :evil:

neiloakley
15-01-03, 11:45 AM
last tuesday i was pissing about in the snow and hit a curb sideways a bent my rear beam. Have to change it thurs evening in three-four inches of snow. WAS NOT PLEASENT. I have three pairs of trousers, two t-shirts one jumper and a big scott and fox coat. I was toasty warm but my fingers and toes froze!!!!! But we love it really :?:

Tazzy
16-01-03, 02:15 AM
i dont want a 1.3 carb engine, i want to keep the 1.2i engine, i just want to tune it as high as poss, what abuot the 1.2 16v head from the corsa, can that be done?

cheerz!