PDA

View Full Version : Alfa 156 GTA

white2lSR
20-03-09, 06:43 PM
I was driving home from my mother in laws yesterday when i spotted a nice looking alfa on a garage forecourt. Not knowing what it was I had a look on the the net to find out, turns out its ana alfa romeo 156 GTA. After reading further reviews on them it seems they are seriously understated. I think ive fallen in love!

When i first drove past i thought £6000! thats expensive for a 156. turns out its about £1000 cheaper than others.

Heres a link to one for sale on ebay, the one i saw locally was Grey.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-ALFA-ROMEO-156-V6-24V-GTA-RED_W0QQitemZ200320520097QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomo biles_UK?hash=item200320520097&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

spanishfly
20-03-09, 06:49 PM
Yeah there nice cars! Great sounding engine. Earlier this year I was gonna chop my Coupe in for one.

white2lSR
20-03-09, 06:51 PM
If only someone would buy my BMW and my nova! Think im going to go and test drive it tomorrow, just out of curiosity. 0-60 in 6.3 seconds! thats pretty quick.

Sloth
20-03-09, 06:53 PM
look out for ratlly cam variators at cold, and the front arm bushes. theres other things too but there the main..

Plug
20-03-09, 06:56 PM
pass me the tissues them seats are MINT

Sloth
20-03-09, 06:59 PM
lol, ive realised its a v6, just do the cam belt and look for fsh, and the susp. easy.

Gashgusher
20-03-09, 07:58 PM
lovely cars, and yeah, tissues for them seats please uhhhhhhh

Southie
20-03-09, 08:15 PM
Cracking looking car, always liked them. It not japanese with a turbine though ;)

white2lSR
20-03-09, 08:23 PM
I dont want to buy it, I just think it stunning. I love Alfas but the stories of unreliability have put me off for life!

Gashgusher
20-03-09, 08:23 PM
thats half the fun!

mowgli
20-03-09, 09:31 PM
I dont want to buy it, I just think it stunning. I love Alfas but the stories of unreliability have put me off for life!

the old alfas & lancias were unbelievable there were tales of unregistered ones being scrapped after a couple of months of storage because of rust....
then there was an engine with the power steering pump run off the cambelt, turn sharp & bend the valves...they are way better these days though.

John
20-03-09, 09:37 PM
I've always wanted on of these for some strange reason.

This one is waaaay over priced though!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-ALFA-ROMEO-75-V6-3-0-VELOCE-BLACK_W0QQitemZ280318759310QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAuto mobiles_UK?hash=item280318759310&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Joe Richardson
20-03-09, 09:58 PM
the old alfas & lancias were unbelievable there were tales of unregistered ones being scrapped after a couple of months of storage because of rust....

pmsllol

Asa-James
20-03-09, 10:43 PM

the V6 is very understated, and looked after (change the belt, water pumps are another one and behind the cam belt) the V6's are seriously reliable. make sure the road your testing on is well surfaced before you floor it, 250bhp through the front wheels is...well...interesting. if your thinking of buying one i'd say go for it, i worked on them for a few years and would definitely have one if i had the cash

Sloth
20-03-09, 11:28 PM
then there was an engine with the power steering pump run off the cambelt, turn sharp & bend the valves...they are way better these days though.

you mean the lancia gamma coupe with its flat six.... very funny.

the scrapping thing is true it was the betas iirc.

new alfas and lancias are made by fiat, who use gm bits. as long as ya avoid the twin spark ones unless they have fsh, youll be fine. im toying with a 3.0 v6 gtv near me for 800 notes.....

scotty GSI
20-03-09, 11:51 PM
Lovely cars, still looking very fresh (keeping in mind it was launched in 1997!!!). The best looking four dr saloon car produced imo.

Not been in the gta, but took a 2.4 jtd out for a run a while back. Very impressive car, serious amount of torque :thumb:

Asa-James
21-03-09, 12:39 AM
new alfas and lancias are made by fiat, who use gm bits. as long as ya avoid the twin spark ones unless they have fsh, youll be fine. im toying with a 3.0 v6 gtv near me for 800 notes.....
twin sparks are the good engines if looked after. the things to avoid with modern alfa's are the letters JTS and the word Selespeed. especially if they are together...

and as far as the GM bits go's, heres not much between them, the fiat croma was a rebodied vauxhall signum, the JTS is GM's "direct injection" engine (2.0 4cyl and new 3.2 v6--pants) the punto Grande, new Corsa and another car all share the same floorpan, the panda/500 and new ford Ka share the same platform, and quite a few of the vauxhall diesels from the past few years have actually been alfa/fiat units (1.9 and 2.4)

other than that, theres not much crossover between them

and rob, be wary, them things is heckspensive. check rear springpans for dead bushes, and the rear subframe wher all the arms bolt to it, if any of the bushes have ever been worn they eat into it very quickly, and they aint cheap to replace. the fuseboxes like to melt, window reg's get tetchy, airbags as per all alfa's, and if you get it on diagnostics, the loom is just flipped over from euro cars, so drivers door is actually passenger door etc etc.

dj_wudgey
21-03-09, 01:46 AM

well i never knew that scraping new cars lol

Sloth
21-03-09, 08:41 AM
cheers asa, i forgot your an alfitsi! tbh it has fsh, and 2 owners. i read the guide in this months ppc, but it made no mention of the electrics ...
its a v6 so the lumps not gonna die every day, and tbh if i run it for a year and find the things goosed ill just ebay it. plus uits 890 fully comp, and it should be ideal for a track sesh or two...

wudgety, it was because they used cheap russian steel, not realising it was recycled badly, and was full of rust...
i was told by an old lancia tech, no 2 betas rot the same...

white2lSR
21-03-09, 07:00 PM
Well me and the wife went and drove it. We both fell in love with it and were prepared to do a deal there and then to buy it but they wouldnt give us enough for the BMW :cry:

He has my number in case he can better the price he offered me. He asked me for it so i might be getting a call. I suppose im a back up plan for him if he cant shift it! lol

Asa-James
21-03-09, 07:24 PM
o-ohh, spaghetti-ooo, you've fallen in love with an alfa. your life will never be the samelol