PDA

View Full Version : Breather Filter - MUST SEE! - WTF hapand here!

mikeoxford
10-01-03, 05:14 PM
i know there has been several posts on here about the breather pipe, about knacekered filters, and about blocking pipes

but WTF hapand here! - went to change my oil and i found this - it has hapand in the last month as it was fine at MK

http://www.mikeoxford.boyracer.net/webspace/filter/P1010150.jpg

http://www.mikeoxford.boyracer.net/webspace/filter/P1010152.jpg

other images :o :

engine bay:
http://www.mikeoxford.boyracer.net/webspace/filter/P1010154.jpg

close up - WHERES THE CRHOME GONE!:
http://www.mikeoxford.boyracer.net/webspace/filter/P1010153.jpg

other:
http://www.mikeoxford.boyracer.net/webspace/filter/P1010151.jpg

mikeoxford
10-01-03, 05:16 PM
i mean what shall i do?

buy another one and clean it every month or so?

should i be worried about anything? any damage etc?

jon_boy
10-01-03, 06:27 PM
if its only a breather pipe should there surely not be just air going in it. not whatever that was! is it burnt? could just be nowt tho. :o

Nova1.6
10-01-03, 06:32 PM
u running your car on Acid, looks likes it's been melted :o :o

mikeoxford
10-01-03, 06:36 PM
i dont think it has been on fire - there is no damage to the underside of the bonnet or surrounding area

i think that there has been a build up of oil in the pipe and its caused problems, but im really not sure one bit.

there has been another thread on here a while ago - i just wondered whats hapand, etc whats caused it, should i be concerned?

Chris ward has suggested a catch tank, as seen in brett warbuttons nova, they look sweet and everything but A) its a lot of money for summat i dont really need B) my alarm is mounted where it would go.

rob.slader
10-01-03, 09:28 PM
Mike, I have a K&N oil breather on mine, I'm running 40's too, so the setup is similar. I was told when I was getting the breather that the pipercorss oil breather filters have a habbit of clogging up and seperating, looks like yours did that big style! Make sure your breather pipes are all straight and not twisted or anything, then get yourself a K&N one, I've had no bother at all with mine. I think they look better than the pipercross ones too. Else go for the catch tank, they do look trick, but very expensive for an alloy one just to catch the oil! Otherwise mod a Red bull can or something!

Anton
10-01-03, 09:29 PM
Was it rubbing on somthing? Or twisted?

mikeoxford
10-01-03, 11:08 PM
the pipe where it goes into normal dustbin lid filter, had just been flipped back - so no bends or creases - by chris ward when he had the weber 32 34 on it.

it all looks fine

like u said i have heard rumours recently and was gonna check it - i think micky said the pipes may need unblocking, but it was too late!!

where did u get your mini k&n from? as i think halfords only do pipercross ones.

Dicko
10-01-03, 11:50 PM
take it back and say its unsuitable for the job :P :P :P

Anton
11-01-03, 07:11 AM
my k&n was 16quid from motor mania, if you have one of those near you :D

Ben (lurk75)
11-01-03, 07:31 AM
For a cheap catchment tank go to a breakers and take one off of nearly any Jap bike, a bloke i know who fitted a hydrulic clutch to a nova (i dont know why) fitted one off of a kawazaki for the hydralic fluid reservoir, it looked sh*t hot :!:

Ste_Nova
11-01-03, 05:07 PM
justr bin the dam filter..... i don't run one at all on mine

rob.slader
11-01-03, 05:43 PM
I got my K&N oil breather filter from a local car spares shop called the Gearbox. Not sure if they have shops around the contry or not though? It cost me ?11. You will probably have two breather pipes, one main large one and a very thin one, I made up a t piece that goes into the bottom of the K&N, then splits out for both breather pipes.

CP
11-01-03, 08:38 PM
1.4/1.6 8v engines are bitches for throwing oil out of the breather when been driven hard - poor design. Me and MC found that once you get on track its a serious problem. I rigged up a homemade catch tank and was catching about a mugfull of oil for 15- 20 mins on track when i had my 1.6 8v. Its the cornering that does it.

The filter you had looks like it cant take red hot oil sprayed at it under pressure.
2 things you can do to stop oil being sprayed about all over:
1. Fix up a good quality catch tank.
2. Fit a Corsa sump (caution it may foul your zorst manifold if its 4 branch under the sump)

Otherwise just let your breather pipe dangle down the back of the engine towards the floor and put up with it or buy a K & N one that is made properly.

mikeoxford
11-01-03, 10:32 PM
well i think an alloy catch tank and no alloy header tank would be daft, and to buy both would be ???

but without ruling it out ill look into it - know of any sites??

failing that in the short term i guess itll have to be the K&N Mini filter then.

mikeoxford
11-01-03, 10:32 PM
LOL just whacked www.baileymotorsport.co.uk into the browser pure random guess and it worked!

cornish
12-01-03, 08:05 PM
You don't have to spend ??? on an oil catch tank. I got a power steering fluid reservoir thingy form a Nissan Silvia at the scrapyard for ?5, which is alloy, and stuck the breather pipe onto the bottom of it and mounted the mini K&N on the top. Total cost: ?17 :)

Not that it is any use now cos the fecking bottom end let go go on my car last week :(

Will try and get some piccies of it up.

carltoncrazy
13-01-03, 04:40 PM
:lol: @mike,
ive manage to catch a few KnN bolt on on fire a few times,
u sure flames aint shot out ya carbs or n e fing silly.
like micky says, jus stick it to the ground

mikeoxford
13-01-03, 04:56 PM
nope no flames - there isnt any damage at all suspecting around the area

im gona see what the catch tank route looks like, or any homemade routes i may go down, before finally settling on another filter.........

Chris_W
13-01-03, 08:01 PM
Well the cheapest NEW catch tank I can find is sold by Rally Design for ?35+VAT.

Chris

mikeoxford
13-01-03, 10:19 PM
http://www.raldes.co.uk/2002/page091.jpg

the one almost in the centre of this picture?

RD2407 ?

not the most attractive one! not exactly chrome and polished is it! although i could get it done - hmmmm theres an idea.

jon_boy
13-01-03, 10:27 PM
no ones gonna see it when youre drivin past em mike! :D

mikeoxford
13-01-03, 10:36 PM
i was thinking more about when i attend shows or wanna show off and say come look at my 40s :P LOL