PDA

View Full Version : strange theif...

pickle2000
10-01-03, 03:08 PM
I got into my car this morning, and everything seemed fine. Started the engine, and turned around just about to pull out and I saw that my back seats had been pulled down and the covering on my homemade parcel shelf had been pulled back (the shelf is still in production which is why it is only loosley covered at the moment). :o The shelf has got some Alpine 6x9's in it and they were untouched. In fact the entire car was untouched, nothing was taken and nothing was damaged. There was a camera in the glovebox (it is f'ked, but it still looks like it works) and that wasn't taken - in fact it doesn't appear that the glovebox was opened at all.

I have checked the passenger side door which is how they got in and the lock appears to have been buckled a bit (screwdriver??). The key still fits, but only just.
It was parked near the center of Cambridge along a side street, with the passengers door facing the road.

I am going to get an alarm and immobiliser put on asap, but is there anything that can be done to the door locks so that they aren't so easy to open (central locking and delocking will come in time)?? Even with an alarm it wouldn't be hard for someone to break the door open, take something and run off..... :!:

I am lucky that nothing has been touched, but am a bit p*ssed off that someone can just get into my car so easily and do what they like. :twisted: :|

wisewood
10-01-03, 03:53 PM
beloved though the nova is around these parts you will not find anyone who could honestly say they think their un-alarmed nova is secure.

There are several ways to silently break into a nova, and obviously several more none silent methods.

You were lucky nothing was taken... you should get an alarm on it asap to at least deter people slightly if not completely... delocking would remove the simple screwdriver method but still eaves it open to attack in other ways...

However i would reccomend getting alarm and immobiliser and delocking it as soon as you can afford to. It is a very good idea.

jkhilton
10-01-03, 04:14 PM
My old SR was broken into so many times, There is absolutely nothing you can do short of welding the doors shut and putting bullet proof glass in, to stop a nova being broken into! The problem is the doors are so weak and the locks are crap!.

I put new locks on my old SR, but withing a week they were punched through the door, then my window got broken, then the door was bent, the list goes on. It's a sad but true fact that there are people out there that will stop at nothing to get into your car!

It sounds like they must have been disturbed or something or they were just finding out what was in your car and may possibly have thought about coming back with another car to take all the bits away in. Either way, Iwouldn't park it in the same place again.

giggler
10-01-03, 04:26 PM
Its funny cos exactly the same thing happened t my nova!!! I was gutted, they broke in by smashin a screwdriver i think in the passenger side door!!! Got into the car, didnt take anything at all, probably got disturbed!!!!

So i reported it to the police, who obviously were not intersted!!!

Got an alarm, immobiliser fitted, and had my doors delocked and central locking fitted!!!!

Will_Nova1.2i
10-01-03, 05:23 PM
My mate had exactly the same happen to him, he only had 2 shitty 6x9's in the parcel shelf, no sub or amp. His mobile was on the shelf under the steering wheel along with the front of his headunit!

I recon they were just looking for the sub and amp to sell on. :evil:

Will

Tilly
10-01-03, 05:30 PM
when mine was knicked they still got through the alarm and immobiliser so dont just rely on that
Didnt touch my 6x9's either just wanted to get a lift home stupid really a lot of trouble for nothing

wisewood
10-01-03, 05:36 PM
to be fair though nothing is gonna protect it really... you can take precautions but nothing more.

Chris LR
10-01-03, 07:43 PM
Ulitimate Security.............I'm planning for a Landrover. I'm doing this becasue Landrovers (old ones) have sliding windows, so u can open them from the outside and get in.

Alarm Immobiliser
Customised Lock plate for spare wheel
Stoplock / Possibly unbolt steering wheel
Kill Switches (2-4)
Chain along the pedels and double padlocked
Chain from Steering wheel to Pedel Chain, Double Padlocked
Ex-MOD Ammo Box welded in and Triple Padlocked, to act as Lock-Box.

If I had the right type of LR I'd also take out the started handle!

?Marty?
10-01-03, 10:05 PM
My car was broken into in the middle of a cinema car-park. It had security people walking around (where the fuck were they!?!?) and cctv.
My car was de-locked with a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser. Nothing valuable left on show.

Come out from watching a film, and all i could see was my car in the middle of the car park with the alarm blazing.
Went to have a look, and they'd smashed my drivers side window, ripped out the cd player (no front on it!!) and about 20 CD's from the glovebox.
While me and my mate were checking it out, a fuckin security guard came up and started saying shit like 'what you doing lads!?' - i fuckin' went mental at him!!!!!!! 'WHAT THE FUCK DOES IT SAY ON YOUR FUCKIN JACKET!!?!?!? SECURITY!!!!???? WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU!?!?!'

In fact, 3 other cars were done at the same time (an XR2i - with alarm right next to mine, and another Nova - door lock punched out, and some other car too).

Did the police do anything!? No. Did they ever catch anyone? Did they fuck.

I had to drive home on the motorway with rain pissing down and no window. With glass on the seat (tried to get as much off as i could, but there were still tiny bits left, which cut my Cobra buckets a bit coz i was sat on it).

:cry:

Dan
10-01-03, 10:11 PM
hmmmm thats sounds harsh marty, also sounds like an inside job, turn a blind eye while going on etc etc

Chris LR
10-01-03, 10:20 PM
I don't mean to offend anyone, but Most security guards I come into contact with are more dangerous than the people that claim to be protecting you from.

Look at it this way, you've still got your car!

Nova1.6
11-01-03, 01:56 AM
is it worth having tint or perpex windows? could anything help em not to smash em? Ive got proximity so if there was anyone lurking arounf my car hopefully that would deter them away.

?Marty?
11-01-03, 02:30 AM
Perspex windows?

Anton
11-01-03, 07:09 AM
can't you get that film to stop them breaking through?

Jim
11-01-03, 12:01 PM
Theres nothing worse than coming to your car to find someone has been rumaging around. Mine was broken into a few years back. They broke the passenger side quater window and leaned in and pulled the door pin up. They took my stereo (which had no face) and also removed the two 12"subs and amp that was in the boot by pulling down the back seats and taking the stuff out :(

I've now delocked my car, shortened my door pins, I have 2 immobilisers, remote central locking, Thatcham approved Alarm and a disklock. You can only do so much to put them off breaking into your car.

I wouldn't get tinited windows in, cos in my opinion, it adds more to curiosity. Perspex windows might be a good idea, but if you try and use them in the same way as normal windows (ie: you still want your windows to go up and down) you might find they will scratch very easily.

You can get film that stops your window from shatering, but a hammer and several swings later will see your window put through.

If a theif wants to get into your car, they will.

Jim

Alex
12-01-03, 06:54 PM
i had a windscreen, my hazard switch, standard door knobs and heater switch stolen. :o

If you can't afford an alarm yet invest in a flashing LED. It really does deter theives :)

Fester
12-01-03, 10:05 PM
i would be reluctant to get safety glass, if a thief will have difficulty smashing it then so will the fire bridgade if youre upside down in a smouldering car trapped inside

?Marty?
13-01-03, 09:17 AM
If my car was in such a mess, i wouldn't want to be saved.

The captain should go down with his ship.

Or, i could be a retard.

pickle2000
13-01-03, 10:54 AM
They are all f'king b'stards..... and I can't beleive that people steel headunits without any faceplates on them.....??

I have booked in to get an alarm fitted now. A Thatcham Cat1 alarm and imob.... at least I will have SOME protection against the f'king theiving scum out there.

I think that it might be a good idea to bolt all of my ICE down when I get some decent gear in, or lock it all in place.... no chance of getting that out then.

BTW Has anyone seen those things that you get for your computer that attach to the wall - stop people running off with yer laptop...?.... well, it might be a good idea to put one of those on the back of the headunit. Strap it to the body work under the dash.... would stop any theif pulling out the headunit without having to rip the dash off......

Nova1.6
13-01-03, 12:29 PM
but they might get really p!ssed off and wreck your car if they cant get what they want.

jkhilton
14-01-03, 01:22 PM
BTW Has anyone seen those things that you get for your computer that attach to the wall - stop people running off with yer laptop...?....

Most headunits have a hole in the back that you can put a screw into to stop the headunit being removed, I did this in my nova, I made a little bracket that screwed into the dash and then round the back of the headunit. It meant that if I had to remove the headunit for any reason, it was an absolute arse, but at the same time, no thieving scum could get it easily either.

pickle2000
14-01-03, 01:39 PM
Yeah that sounds like a really good idea..... It will be good to know that it will be mega hard for anyone to rip out the headunit. Its not as though you remove the unit everyday, so the harder to take it out the better IMO.

I am getting a Sigma alarm - They sound like very good alarm systems, does anyone know how effective they are? Are they easy to get into? Its a full Cat1 system that I am getting (model M30).

Nova1.6
14-01-03, 03:33 PM
is there nothing on a webpage that tells ou about it, what extra features has it got apart form imobilisers and stuff?

pickle2000
14-01-03, 03:41 PM
Heres the full spec;

The Sigma M30 is a fully programmable Thatcham Category One alarm/immobiliser, the multi-function in-car keypad allows the user to program comfort and convenience features and also doubles as a PIN code emergency override system.

Modular Thatcham Cat 1 alarm system
Intelligent battery backup electronic siren
High security weatherproof remote keys
Anti scan & random code operation
Tested and approved by Thatcham MIRRC
Evaluation Number: TC2 - 808/0198
Panic facility
In car keypad programming interface
PIN code operated secure override system
Passive arming dual circuit immobiliser
Intelligent ultrasonic detectors (isolatable)
Central door locking output - specific vehicles only
Hazard lights flash on arm/disarm/trigger
Programmable arm/disarm chirps
Programmable door left open chirps
Programmable ignition locking
Programmable auto-rearm
Programmable interior light illumination on disarm
Programmable interior light illumination on arm

Ste_Nova
14-01-03, 04:04 PM
Ulitimate Security.............I'm planning for a Landrover. I'm doing this becasue Landrovers (old ones) have sliding windows, so u can open them from the outside and get in.

!

just make a gear lock.. it's easy cause the gear selector is external to the box, bung a bar through with a padlock in the end