PDA

View Full Version : Nova Rally car suspension set up help!

nova2.0widearch
19-03-09, 08:18 AM
Hi, can anyone help, I am currently running a 1300 nova rally car and having some problems with handling. I completed my second rally last weekend at the Bovington stages (tarmac) and I have alot of turn in understeer at medium to fast speed corners.

Current I have Avo coilovers on the front with 300 Ibs springs, the rear has Avo dampers with standard rear springs. I am running 1.5 degree negative camber on the front, and the toe is set to parrell.

Can anyone inform me of there suspension set ups, springs rate ect

novarally
19-03-09, 08:27 AM
Hi.

The main figure you haven't given is your Castor......how much are you running?

How was Bovington? I last competed there about 8 years ago.

nova2.0widearch
19-03-09, 09:26 AM
Hi,
Bovington was really good thanks, the stages were very fast, and if you got it wrong there was alot of very hard concreate to hit. We did ok, finished
3rd in class A, and was matching or beating 2nd in class by the end of the day. I was terrible on the first 2 stages didnt want to make a stupid mistake and damage/distroy the car.

Currently I am running the corsa TCA with standard Nova tie bars. So the castor is standard. I have a Dunlop castor gauage but havent measured it because i cannot alter it with the set up being used.

novarally
19-03-09, 09:51 AM
These are the tarmac settings I have always used on Novas, based on what the factory rally cars used;

Front
Tracking 2mm toe out
Camber 2 degrees negative (for smooth surfaces only, on other events 1.5 degrees will be OK)
Castor 4 degrees positive

You can alter the castor, and this will make a massive difference to your set-up. You need to machine the tie bars to effectively allow the front wheels to be pulled forward.

Rear
You need to take some measurements. Camber should be slightly negative, and tracking should be somewhere between 0.5mm toe out to 4.0mm toe in. You can adjust the rear geometry by using some (very) thin washers where the stub axle bolts on.

nova2.0widearch
19-03-09, 04:32 PM
Cheers for your help.