PDA

View Full Version : So, went for MOT today

Mark D
18-03-09, 10:10 PM
Failure

Well, it wasnt so bad, well, it was really.

I went to the garage expecting it to fail and it did :lol:

Pulled out of the garage, no brake pedal (built up after 5mins), lots of smoke (1st time its been ran properly since the engine was fitted) and massive amounts of camber on the drivers front wheel.

So, pulled away, bit smokey, expected really off fresh build, then really smokey, then couldnt see anything behind me.

Pull over, open bonnet, manifold & heat wrap have some oil on, hmm, wheres the smoke coming from?

Look under car, small leak from sump i think, then look at the tyre, its desimated, half of it is in the bloody arch liner :lol:

Camber is that bad that the tyre is resting on the coilover bottom platform.

Limp it to the mot place, brakes ok (even got onto the rollers, not deep at all) lights work fine, horn is ok.

Up on the ramps, cant get the jack under it to lift it, so put it onto the arb & lift it (i cringed a bit there) says ohh, very nice under here, then sees the tyre & laughs.

Bugger, anyways, says bring it back with that fixed & it will pass (says no cat, small plates & emissions can be "sorted" as its just me driving it & mainly on track :norty: )

So, limp back to the garage @ 15mph, much to the annoyance of everyone behind, they must have thought i wuz cruizin :lol:

Oil leak is worse, need to do the sump again, change a rad hose as its not a great seal, and sort the camber problem out.

Now then.

Camber problem.

What can this be?

Ive changed track rods, bottom arms, ball joints, shafts, struts, all for new items (bar the struts as they were on the red one & on toms before that) so what can it be?

Im thinking since i bought cheap bottom arms / track rods / ball joints i may have been given some poor quality items, perhaps even nova (corsa A) items? going to have to get some new ones of everything, take them off 1 by 1 & check them against the new items.

Any advice would be appreciated, pics (if they are any help) are below.

needless to say, im pretty miffed, i knew it would fail, but i wasnt expecting this to happen.

Tyre ruined, not even looked at the coilover, expect that to be damaged in some way.

Poop, what a crappy end to a half decent week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/mantamark/Canon%20eos%20400d/Corsa/IMG_0118.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/mantamark/Canon%20eos%20400d/Corsa/IMG_0119.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/mantamark/Canon%20eos%20400d/Corsa/IMG_0122.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/mantamark/Canon%20eos%20400d/Corsa/IMG_0126.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/mantamark/Canon%20eos%20400d/Corsa/IMG_0125.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/mantamark/Canon%20eos%20400d/Corsa/IMG_0127.jpg

After reading Olly's project thread, and thinking, right i need to do that, and that, and that, then seeing they didnt give the desired effect, im now confused as to what i need to do!

Shorter springs?
Elongated Holes?
top mounts?
camber bolts?

Need it sorted fairly swiftly!

Car as it stood yesterday as i was getting it ready for the mot and was all happy & pleased with myself...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/mantamark/Canon%20eos%20400d/Corsa/IMG_0106.jpg

Any help would be really appreciated!

Mark D
18-03-09, 10:11 PM
Oh, and did i mention these coilovers were used on my old corsa without any issues, at this height, with these wheels.

There must be something wrong somewhere, but im buggered if i can work out what!

mowgli
18-03-09, 10:22 PM
either fit some wheel spacers, or get some offset top mounts & camber bolts

SR Kyle
19-03-09, 12:37 AM
i had this problem with my nova wen i bought cheap tat coilovers and it was because the top bolt ole where coilover bolts to hub is elongated from factory im asuming = this is so you can adjust the camber i just set camber bby eye and put wheel spasers on bu i cas told you can buy proper camber adjusting bolts for about £6 hope this points you in the right direction

gtachorley
19-03-09, 12:58 AM
Same here on them ebay coilovers the bottom bolt is adjustable simply take wheel off, loosen the bolts that hold it in place and pull it towards you then bolt the bottom bolt in as far away from the wheel as poss should fit no probs

7ova
19-03-09, 10:48 AM
have you put nova bottom arms on a corsa?

if so that could be your problem
i think the nova arm is a little bit shorter than the standard
corsa bottom arm, that could explain your camber problem?

i had some corsa ones with the plate on the bottom, looked the same as the nova but held side by side there were slight diffences.

have you still got your old parts?
try changing things over, till you find what it is :thumb:

craig green
19-03-09, 12:46 PM
I bet the camber is an incorrectly installed top mount (if they are anything like Nova ones). There is a hole drilled in the spring cup, it needs to be opposite (180 degrees aaround) from the lower strut to knuckle bolts.

Adam
19-03-09, 05:14 PM
70va has a good point.

jafanan
19-03-09, 07:21 PM
all in good time, hopefully next time yould be getting the big form with preferatd disc

blue_peg_16v
19-03-09, 08:33 PM
i went for mine today too on the van got a list as long as my arm to sort, been and picked all the perts up £43 gotta love novas 2 bags full of parts for £43 wouldnt even buy a bearing for my vectra lol re test next week lol sunday bodgiing ahead lol

7ova
19-03-09, 09:16 PM
i went for mine today too on the van got a list as long as my arm to sort, been and picked all the perts up £43 gotta love novas 2 bags full of parts for £43 wouldnt even buy a bearing for my vectra lol re test next week lol sunday bodgiing ahead lol

did you get your test done in donny?
if so where?

blue_peg_16v
19-03-09, 09:40 PM
i live in thorne so got it done at key cars hes prity far usually and to tell ya the truth the van dint fail on anything disasterous needs new discs and pads a wheel bearing a steering rack gaitor and 2 plates welding, hes the only one ive found that will even entertain the exhaust on the saloon just turns round to me and said that wernt on when it wa moted if ya get stoped

7ova
19-03-09, 09:44 PM
key cars, is that the garage that sells all the jap imports.
i live in edenthorpe, just down the road.

blue_peg_16v
19-03-09, 09:48 PM
ye thats the one my uncle lives in edenthorpe just accross from the school near the crossing on the main road hes the on with the scrap yard in the front garden (old vw camper cseries merc and 2 mgbs) were abouts in edenthorpe are ya am looking to sell up and move that way on am a bit far out from town here

7ova
19-03-09, 09:53 PM
i live on the estate behind you uncles house, you get to my house past the pub on the corner near sainsburys

i'll look out for your uncles scrap yard lol

blue_peg_16v
19-03-09, 09:55 PM
ah no the estate well lol but dont tell the ex lol she never found out

7ova
19-03-09, 10:52 PM
been a bad boy have you lol
+rep

mark d
have you had any luck with the corsa yet?

let_nova
19-03-09, 10:57 PM
have you put nova bottom arms on a corsa?

if so that could be your problem
i think the nova arm is a little bit shorter than the standard
corsa bottom arm, that could explain your camber problem?
:thumb:

nova and corsa b bottom arms are the same its the track of the corsa that is different.

7ova
19-03-09, 11:04 PM
i did say "i think"
the corsa bottom ball joints are different and the two mounting holes for the ball joints are different, so you have to use a nova bottom arm with a nova ball joint and same with the corsa parts. its an idea if somebody could measure them both?

or if mark could try his old parts back on?

Mark D
20-03-09, 08:55 AM
as this build has taken me best part of 2 years i didnt keep any parts.

Me and the wife have went to the lakes for a couple of days, so will have a look when i get back.

The top mounts are angled?

Didnt understand the perforated disc comment?

Cheers.

7ova
21-03-09, 03:51 PM
tax disc ;)

Mark D
21-03-09, 06:59 PM
lol

How daft do i feel, tax disc lol

next time, next time.

Just need to get down to the garage and get it sorted, hoping its something simple, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

7ova
21-03-09, 07:12 PM
good luck with it mate, hope it is something simple