PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure sender

fcuk!
09-01-03, 10:27 PM
i have a MK1 merit 1.2. im currently installing a set of 6 dial clocks. :o but i don't have an oil pressure sender to link to the guage. :cry: i was told i could get one off other novas. can anyone tell me which novas and will it work with a different size engines :?: or better yet anyone got one for sale? :D cheers!

Manta Mad
09-01-03, 10:36 PM
You will need one from an SR (watch as later ones didn't have the oil gauge) GTE or GSi

fcuk!
09-01-03, 10:38 PM
so i can get it off any sr then, and it will fit/work all ok yeah? how hard is it to install? cheers

CP
09-01-03, 10:48 PM
Its an easy fit -unscrews out of the block and just swaps with existing one. Its located on the rear of the engine block underneath the alternator just above the sump. Access is from below - undoes with an ordinary spanner The only diff is that it will have 2 different connectors on it - 1 for the warning light and 1 for the gauge.

fcuk!
09-01-03, 10:51 PM
thanks cp, thats crystal clear! now all i got to do is find one! :D

mikeoxford
10-01-03, 12:19 AM
heres a qn - which way round do the wires go?

neiloakley
14-01-03, 02:11 PM
doesn't matter. It's just a potentiometer. Will work either way round

novax
14-01-03, 05:03 PM
the wires must be the RIGHT way round! the original wire is for the low pressure light on the dash and it will fit straight on. Run a new wire to the dash from the other terminal for the guage.

Also the same sender is fitted to all the older Vauxhalls, Astras, Cavs etc.

fcuk!
14-01-03, 06:36 PM
ok, so i just run an ordinary wire to the guage?

cheers for the help lads

neiloakley
15-01-03, 08:38 AM
:oops:

mikeoxford
15-01-03, 11:45 AM
:lol: lol yeah BUT

which terminal on the sender is which?!

there was one wire to my sender, and then one wire tied to my old inlet manifold so im assuming that would be the second wire?

going to get a sender this week

neiloakley
15-01-03, 11:50 AM
depends, is that wire balck and yellow? if it is, that is the wire for the autochoke. Pretty sure the oil press sender is blue/something

novax
15-01-03, 04:55 PM
On the Novas etc. with this guage from the factory it has 2 wires as we know.

Blue/green Oil light (this should still plug onto new sender, metal pin)
Blue/yellow Oil pressure (1 pin socket)

All you need to do is run a new wire up to the dash connector and it'll work.

fcuk!
15-01-03, 05:04 PM
All you need to do is run a new wire up to the dash connector and it'll work.

where on the sender do i connect it to tho? i am still in the process of getting the clocks/sender, but i want to be sure so i can install them straight away.

sorry to be a pain.

novax
15-01-03, 10:12 PM
Here you go.

http://vaux-md.net/dayout/sender1.jpg

The little threaded terminal is the pressure light and the spade terminal measured 5.6 ohms to the body of the sender, this is the guage output.

Hope this helps.

neiloakley
16-01-03, 08:20 AM
if you look at the back of your clocks, there will be too spade connectors sticking out (if they have a rev counter and oil press gauge). The connector nearest the top left (as seen from the back) is the rev counter and the connector at the top nearer the middle is the oil press gauge.