PDA

View Full Version : Quality Suspension ideas

areofall
18-03-09, 09:16 PM
Have about 30 days to sort something out for the easter meet here in N ireland, have 3 cars to pick from 2 sets of wheels but need to get the suspension sorted?

Looking a 30-40mm drop max, don't want coilovers and just want a fairly standard ride (not too hard) any ideas, Was thinking about standard billys with custom springs and powerflex bump stops? Any advice would be great.

krobinson
18-03-09, 09:26 PM
Courtenay do their own spec bully's with proper road going springs that are said to give a fairly standard ride feel but drop the car 40mm.

areofall
18-03-09, 09:33 PM
Courtenay do their own spec bully's with proper road going springs that are said to give a fairly standard ride feel but drop the car 40mm.

Thanks Keith, Will have a look into it, I was thinking of going down the same route as Dec has on his Nova sport.

whitenovasaloon
18-03-09, 10:02 PM
I got a set from online autosport which are pretty good, they're a road rally spec springs i think with bilsteins, also got powerflex bushes and some harder engine mounts while i was at it and now its really good.

areofall
19-03-09, 02:24 PM
I got a set from online autosport which are pretty good, they're a road rally spec springs i think with bilsteins, also got powerflex bushes and some harder engine mounts while i was at it and now its really good.

Had a look at this, the shocks are Bilsteins standard replacement with a set of springs, did it harden the car up much?

craig green
19-03-09, 02:59 PM
Black (OE) Bilsteins are utter tosh. They might be OK if your local roads are as smooth as icing on a cake, but otherwise expect them to leak after a year or so.

Money down the drain IMO.

If I was on a budget, I'd get some KYB shocks which are hardly known but really good stuff & buy some good springs, Eibachs, KONI's, Courtenays own (though I thnk they stopped them) or custom.

AVOID Pi, TERRA, GMAX etc in my very experienced opinion.

areofall
19-03-09, 04:53 PM
Black (OE) Bilsteins are utter tosh. They might be OK if your local roads are as smooth as icing on a cake, but otherwise expect them to leak after a year or so.

Money down the drain IMO.

If I was on a budget, I'd get some KYB shocks which are hardly known but really good stuff & buy some good springs, Eibachs, KONI's, Courtenays own (though I thnk they stopped them) or custom.

AVOID Pi, TERRA, GMAX etc in my very experienced opinion.

The Courtenays are nearly £500 which I happy to send but I don't want a rock hard ride, not into gut shakers and I'm not a fast driver at all, especially in either a 1L or 1.2L. I'm only lowering for the look?

The 1L and 1.2L share the same suspension and would I be able to take it across to my 1.3 SR when it's sorted?

whitenovasaloon
19-03-09, 05:16 PM
I asked them specifically for yellow Bilsteins, the ride is really good in my opinion. and the handling is also spot on.

areofall
19-03-09, 05:28 PM
I asked them specifically for yellow Bilsteins, the ride is really good in my opinion. and the handling is also spot on.

want make were the springs and price?

areofall
19-03-09, 05:31 PM
http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=50

whitenovasaloon
19-03-09, 05:47 PM
they're onlines own spec of competition spring i think. cant remember the price, onlines number is 01543 252010:thumb:

whitenovasaloon
19-03-09, 05:49 PM
just seen courtnenay's, they look good too, worth a ring aswell i should think

areofall
20-03-09, 08:34 AM
thanks will make a few calls today, me think

amggsi
20-03-09, 08:51 AM
I've black Bilsteins and unknown springs in my SR, you're welcome to take a drive in it to see what you think!

I did notice a big difference in the ride quality between the Speedlines with Avon tyres, and the Softstars on Uniroyals though, which I never really thought would have made such a massive difference....

craig green
20-03-09, 05:17 PM
The Courtenays are nearly £500 which I happy to send but I don't want a rock hard ride, not into gut shakers and I'm not a fast driver at all, especially in either a 1L or 1.2L. I'm only lowering for the look?

The 1L and 1.2L share the same suspension and would I be able to take it across to my 1.3 SR when it's sorted?

At £500 that will be the premium spec which is with the big Bilstein (B12's). They used to do a 'clubman' package which used the same springs but with DeCarbon dampers. One of the best handling road going Novas I've been in was with this kit.

All of Courtenays products are for fast road use, not track use. So any suspension kit from them should be a compromise between rigidity & comfort.

Eibachs are nice on a Nova. :)