PDA

View Full Version : Digi dash oil pressure light flashing?

Ben-24
17-03-09, 09:16 PM
Put digi dash in my gsi about a month ago, they have bin working fine. Changed sump gasket, oil filter, and put fresh oil in at the weekend everything bin fine but went for a blast down the motor way tonite to pick something up and now the oil pressure light is flashing when the car is ticking over, there is no leaks from the sump gasket. Anyone any idea what this could be? Cheers :confused:

S1 RST
17-03-09, 09:18 PM
low oil pressure at a guess if it goes out wen you rev it i'd say either ya pumps fuked or ya big ends are about shafted and causing low oil pressure

Adam
17-03-09, 09:21 PM
Check the level

Ben-24
17-03-09, 09:23 PM
Ye i checked the level its ok.

Adam
17-03-09, 09:28 PM
Did you use silicone sealer on the sump gasket?

Ben-24
17-03-09, 09:37 PM
No just cleaned it all up and put the gasket straight on.

ade
17-03-09, 11:13 PM
oil pick up at the bottom blocked? My 1.4 engine did this (oil light came on)...garage cleaned out the pick up which was blocked with some odd gunk and it was fine...

joff-turbo-nova
18-03-09, 12:35 PM
I had a similar problem on my C20XE a few years ago .

The possible causes are :-

Oil pressure sender has stopped working
Wire to oil pressure sender is broken
Blockage in oil pickup / oil pump issues
Pressure relief valve stuck open
Different grade oil used causing low pressure on idleMy problem was the pressure relief valve was stuck open which caused the oil pump to just dump the oil back into the sump instead of pumping it round the engine.

I took out the pressure relief valve - cleaned it all up and put back together and it worked fine - eventually fitted a SBD nylon one which are less prone to sticking .

If the light only comes on at idle its probably down to either a worn out oil pump or bearings and/or thinner grade oil making the problem more apparent.

My C20XE does this in the Vectra at the moment which I am putting down to a 100k engine - my temporary solution is to use a thicker oil and a summer thermostat until I source and rebuild a new engine!

Hope this helps

Joff

Ben-24
18-03-09, 06:09 PM
Ok cheers for that im thinkin its prob going to be a thinner oil because it has only started to do it when iv changed the oil il try some thicker oil in it i think wanna rebuild the engine when i get chance anyway. Not going to be doing it this week im of to dublin in the morning til sunday:thumb: