PDA

View Full Version : Carb problems...

Simon 1867
17-03-09, 03:52 PM
Hi,
I have a Pierburg 1B carb on my nova. For some reason when i got to accelerate sometimes the car will lose power, but if i pull the choke out the revs pick up but coughs and sputtlers abit.

When i slow down for the lights and the engine revs drop the car dies.

I have carried out a complete overhaul of the carb, all jets have been clearned through.
The jet in the middle of the carb which angles into the main chamber on the top of the carb doesnt seem to be fireing fuel in when i rev the engien on the drive.
I have been told the fuel may have gone off.

Can anyone help.

Thanks

AlexW
17-03-09, 03:59 PM
If you was told about the fuel havnt you changed it? I trust you replaced all the carb gaskets when doing it all?

Simon 1867
17-03-09, 04:06 PM
I was told about the fuel 8minutes ago..All gaskets have been changed.

Steve
17-03-09, 04:18 PM
I think it might either be bad fuel if its been stood for a while or possibly crap in the fuel lines.

Anyone else with more of a clue than me got any other ideas?

Southie
17-03-09, 04:26 PM
It could be off fuel. I used to get something similar on my old sr years ago. Put some redex in the fuel tank (not the whole bottle) and it seemed to clear it.
What condition are your plugs in???

AlexW
17-03-09, 04:34 PM
Ah right, pop off the fuel pipe from the fuel pump and stick it into a bottle with some petrol in, if the car starts/runs/revs fine then its prob fuel.

But no good if it only does it under certain conds and/or not on idle/no load

jimbob-mcgrew
18-03-09, 11:56 PM
try sliding a pin or similar up into the jet (dont drop it down the carb!) might be clogged by rust from the tank. gone off fuel sounds a bit dodge ? does it loose its liquidicity after a while or something ?

tom reid
19-03-09, 08:17 AM
try adjusting the mixture, it sounds as though it's running weak,. if you have to pull the choke out.