PDA

View Full Version : GSi/GTE Maximum power with ?3-4000+ to spend!

big_steve_x
09-01-03, 02:24 PM
ok then, i'm soon to have 3K to spend on an engine, i don't want a 2.0 valver too high insurance, nor do i want a 1.6 16V. So, which engine is bets to buy and what should i put on it, i don't want NOS or a turbo conversion, it has to just be pure power. i.e 308 degree rally cam, twin 45's (if they fit) etc etc, if you get my point. oh and what gearbox would be best for it with an LSD, oh and is the GTE or GSi engine best to start with. I need loadsa help with this one, as i'm gonna make me a mental engine. don't forget to tell me all about things like re-ground cranks and lightened fly wheels, titanium valve springs etc etc.

v1nce
09-01-03, 03:12 PM
i don't want a 2.0 valver too high insurance

but ure going 2 insure a 4 grand engine with no increase???

id say ull get cheaper insurance and more power with a valver

Ric 16v
09-01-03, 05:33 PM
there right, just slip a 2.0 16v or a 2.0 16v turbo in you will probably get more power out of those standard than you will by spending about 3-4 grand on a 1.6 8v, but if you only want a 1.6 and nothing else why not find out if you can put throttle bodies on it, if your wanting to make a mental 1.6 engine then the only thing would to be add a turbo coz you wouldn't feel much increase in power just by adding cams, twin 40's/45's etc

Dan
09-01-03, 06:50 PM
yeh your prob right 50bhp + gain on a 1.6 8v without a turbo is nothing :roll: :roll: i achieved said figure without spending that much and didnt go as far as he can. I can still have my ignition remapped to smooth it out and gain more power through out range and i could go up from a 285 cam, get better head etc etc, but alas wife and almost 2 kids, its diff for me otherwise i would go alot further also just to be curious at what they can do.

jon_boy
09-01-03, 06:56 PM
less u get silly and buy a rally engine. like i plan to do . he he he

big_steve_x
09-01-03, 07:40 PM
i don't want a 2.0XE/LET, can't get insured at all, with 1.6, i can declare visible engine mods, but internal ones can stay un-declared. Also, car is mostly stripped inside, apart from buckets and a little bit of ice. i want a lightweight engine aswell, and i don't have time to do a 2.0 conversion i want somethin that'll slot straight in when i've finished modding it! probably won't spend all 3k on it anyway. and now then, don't post anythin more unless its real help. i know your trying to help i aint moanin, but its not an answer. :lol: or should i get an astra GTE..hmmmm

jon_boy
09-01-03, 09:14 PM
try www.motorsportdirect.co.uk or www.novarally.co.uk. im not taking the mickey when i say a rally engine. bout 130 bhp ish form a 1.4 that weighs as much as a turd must be quick. and cheaper than u may think.

locky
09-01-03, 09:34 PM
bout 130 bhp ish form a 1.4 that weighs as much as a turd must be quick.
thats a funny quote!
steve, im dropping in a 1.6 8v, and lookin 2 spend round a grand or more on mods, itll go straight in, and u need 2 get a few other bits n bobs 2 make it work!
u can then have throttle bodies if ur willing 2 blow a wad of cash! im sure ull get a very quick motor after spending a few quid!
look at the power CP got from a 1.4! ull have an xtra 200 cc 2 play with!

big_steve_x
09-01-03, 09:47 PM
my turds are quite heavy, so it don't count for all of us ;)

anyway throttle bodies are for 16v engines only aint they?

i was gonna do 308 degree cam, twin 45s, fully ported and polished head with bigger valves etc, re-bored engine, larger pistons, re-ground crank, fully lightened fly wheel, exhaust aswell of course. i'm hoping for about 150bhp at the wheels or more. in my car which has lost about 50 KG's :)

or i might just blow some engines up with 100bhp nos jets :)

CP
09-01-03, 10:27 PM
If you use a 1.6 8v engine you will be doing well to get more than 150hp at the flywheel. A 1.6 16v can give quite a bit over 200hp.
You mention a GTE/GSI engine.
Well you could contact Novatech a Slough. They had a GSI/GTE engine in a racing Nova. I cant remember the full details but basically it used the std induction manifold which they sent along with the head and zorst manifold to the States to be "fluid honed" ( I think thats what they called it). This is a process of using a liquid abrasive to bore out these parts for improved air flow. I think it also had larger valves and used a rally enem cam. The std throttle body was replaced with something like a Vectra one. I'm not sure what injectors were used but i do know it had a mappable ECU installed to run it all. I didnt see it running but it was supposed to be giving strong power readings.
I dont know what was done to the bottom end but unless you are planning to do motor sport with it etc its debatable whether it needs a lot really. ARP bolts and stress relieving the conrods maybe?

As regards the gear box - the F13 that goes with the engine should be able to take the stick. Quaife make diffs to fit this box - probably others do to - no probs.

Dicko
10-01-03, 12:09 AM
dont make sense what hes saying so im not bothering to post!

MC
10-01-03, 08:09 AM
The engine spec you mention, 308 cam and 45's will give you a fair peak power, but no torque. It doesn't follow that the bigger the carb, the more power you get.

The best setup I have come accross would be 285, with 40's on a 32mm choke. Get a decent head job too. You'll have enough torque to pull you to 60 in sub 6 second times, and probably have about the 150bhp mark that everyone mentions. The engine is about 50kg lighter than a 2.0 litre, so on track you'll be quite a match for most.

Doesn't matter which lump you get, GTE or GSi, especially if you are gonna rebuild it. Bore it out to 1650, and have the crank re-ground. Use ARP bolts, but above that don't bother. The power and torque delivery when using carbs doesn't require high revs. I take it you are using this on the road mainly?

MC

big_steve_x
10-01-03, 08:58 AM
at the moment i only use it at week-ends for fun, and to get to college on a wednesday, other than that i get the train to work. its only a 1.2i at the moment which is why i want more power. i'd like to use it for track days and just week-ends though, oh, and for taking the piss out of saxo/renault and scooby owners :). its got lots of ICE in it at the moment but i'm gonna strip that out when i get the next engine, oh yeh, should i keep with 15s or use 17s? (16s are same rolling radius as 17s i've been told, so there' no point in em.)

Breeny
10-01-03, 10:46 AM
I may have just the engine you want for sale soon... or at least the bits.. pm if you want to know more mate. Look at my feature for the spec of it.

Basically 1650 8v, Bill Blydenstein b+ big valve head, 40's etc etc, lightened flywheel, reground crank etc etc

As regarding size of wheels, 15's will be best. Whoever told you that is talking rubbish, and anyway its not just rolling radius, its the weight of the wheel, you would be surprised how much heavier a bigger alloy is..

Tazzy
12-01-03, 02:30 AM
I read in Total Vauxhall a few months back (i think!) that the gte gearbox (f13?) is good for up to 150bhp, then it starts to cry! if so, what gearbox would be advisorable to replace it for?