PDA

View Full Version : MOT end of the month. any got any tips for it to pass?

burgessovsalford
08-01-03, 04:49 PM
Hi all,

Got my MOT at the end of this month & its the first time i've had to MOT my nova since I got it.

Anyone know what the main things that need doing on Nova's & what I need to check?

Also I have noticed I have a little hole in my boot floor! s'hit!! Will that need welding?

All comments welcome....

Manta Mad
08-01-03, 05:46 PM
with even the youngest of Novas getting on a bit now, probably rust to structural areas will be the main consideration - not sure if they include the boot floor as structural - is the hole within 30cm of a suspension or seatbelt mount?

wheel bearings seem to be a weak point otherwise just check all the obvious things like lights, horn, wipers, seatbelts, windscreen for damage, exhaust and leaks from shocks.

_JH_
09-01-03, 07:11 PM
try the MOT test checks at the back of most haynes manuals if you are not sure

Chris LR
09-01-03, 07:53 PM
Tape over the hole, The MOT is a visual Inspection!

If you've got any exterior Rust, tape over that too. Also check battery tray for rust. Also quickly check that all your lights work, they don't wobble, the wipers wipe, all the silly stuff that you could get ripped off on.

burgessovsalford
10-01-03, 02:42 PM
Cheers for that! il get checking it over...

Just hope I dont get anything major that need doin cos im well skint this month & my cred card is virtually maxed!! prob like us all lol!

Manta Mad
10-01-03, 10:39 PM
oh yes :(

mikeoxford
10-01-03, 11:09 PM
wheel bearings and CV boots are popular

Tazzy
12-01-03, 05:22 PM
What are these CV boots?

mikeoxford
12-01-03, 05:28 PM
they are on the end of the driveshafts at both the gearbox and wheel end - protect the joints inside from grit and shit from damagin bearings and stuff.

they are a rubber cone shape with concertina/ribbs in it, small at 1" driveshaft end and big, 3 or 4 inches at other end with a jubilee clip on - check for splits

carltoncrazy
12-01-03, 07:10 PM
CLEAN THE CAR.
as chris says,there looking at the car,
so make it nice for them,they will see loads of rusty,muddy boy racer nova`s,
so if yours has hub caps,make sure they all match etc,
give the car a good clean,and steam clean the engine.
and super tape any sharp edges

Chris LR
12-01-03, 09:14 PM
What I tend to do, Is ask them what time is best for them, drop the car off nice and early and I even provide my own seat covers!

Saying that, my car has never passed an MOT first time.

Stuart
13-01-03, 10:38 AM
wing mirrors tend to wobble a bit too. my mot guy just taped them up and passed it lol

then again i do have a nice mot guy. he understands that the car isnt gonna be off the production line condition.

make sure your brake fluid is topped up though!.
the plastic clips that hold the base of the headlights are 30p each or something like that, so its worth replacing them anyway