PDA

View Full Version : Bending drivehsafts

skidmarkz
15-03-09, 11:40 PM
i have a slight issue with the Long drive shaft, i have now managed to bend 2 of the chris astly style thick drive shafts? any ideas on how or why ??

J.

Gareth87
15-03-09, 11:41 PM
to be fair how the feck have you managed that!?

what engine you running?

Steve
15-03-09, 11:44 PM
too much power!! lol lol

skidmarkz
15-03-09, 11:44 PM
Throttle bodied xe in a nova.....

i have now bent 2 shafts and twisted the spline bit on the little 1??

any help would be great :(

mowgli
15-03-09, 11:45 PM
a good guess is sticky tyres, big horsepower and maybe crap heat treatment...

either fit traction control or smaller tyres or just don't do such massive starts, once its moving, then welly it.

Gareth87
15-03-09, 11:45 PM
hmmm. your spec aint massive so i can't see it being purely power

skidmarkz
15-03-09, 11:46 PM
a good guess is sticky tyres, big horsepower and maybe crap heat treatment...

hey mate, im talking like bent so bad it hits the chassis now :( dunno how to stop it happening its bloody exspensive lol

skidmarkz
15-03-09, 11:47 PM
hmmm. your spec aint massive so i can't see it being purely power

not massive no, but still at 200bhp mark.. a reason as to why its happening would be cool...

Gareth87
15-03-09, 11:48 PM
not massive no, but still at 200bhp mark.. a reason as to why its happening would be cool...

best person i'd say to PM is Rick Draper

he ran 440bhp and didn't bend shafts to my knowledge

mowgli
15-03-09, 11:49 PM
get some from a different supplier as I am purely guessing here, but i think they simply aren't strong enough & are deforming under power. if they had been heat treated properly, they'd probably snap, but under huge power transmission..

skidmarkz
15-03-09, 11:53 PM
get some from a different supplier as I am purely guessing here, but i think they simply aren't strong enough & are deforming under power. if they had been heat treated properly, they'd probably snap, but under huge power transmission..

both shafts are from different suppliers!

i am going to try the Equal shaft setup, see if that helps at all....

Gareth87
16-03-09, 12:02 AM
which shaft is bending?

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 12:04 AM
i have bent the long 1 twice, and twisted the outer splines on the short shaft.

Gareth87
16-03-09, 12:06 AM
try equal lengths then imo.

burgo
16-03-09, 01:02 AM
both shafts are from different suppliers!

i am going to try the Equal shaft setup, see if that helps at all....

ive got an equal length set up for sale that was on ricks nova so proven to take 400bhp

jimbob-mcgrew
16-03-09, 03:48 AM
your car lowered alot skidz ?

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 07:14 AM
ive got an equal length set up for sale that was on ricks nova so proven to take 400bhp

I have a Cav setup in the garage, all i need is the new shorter shaft to make it work.....

your car lowered alot skidz ?

I dont think its low no, i dont have issues with speed bumps....
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/kwackers636/Nova%20Trackdays/XSP_0430.jpg

Ernie
16-03-09, 07:40 AM
same sort of set up as mine but im still running the baby hub set up.
The only differance is im running Dars old shapts which were made to take 300bhp so are a bit bigger than standard.
There fine i would ask him where he had them made maybe a start.

Welsh Dan
16-03-09, 07:53 AM
You are using nova shafts not corsa ones? It sounds obvious but I thought I'd check :)

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 08:01 AM
im using the 2.0 Cav CV's inner and outer, with motorsport hubs from mr astley, and the Big shafts...

All i have ordered have stated Nova.. are the corsa ones longer ??

Welsh Dan
16-03-09, 08:02 AM
Yes, the corsa ones are slightly longer.

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 08:19 AM
Yes, the corsa ones are slightly longer.

do you know the lengths off hand, i can measure mine and see.. i know they are bent but it will give an indecation..

Welsh Dan
16-03-09, 08:27 AM
I don't sorry :(.

GRUNT 16V
16-03-09, 10:38 AM
Is The Engine Sat In There In The Right Position?????

Pistol Pete
16-03-09, 11:42 AM
^ good point. Gearbox mount spaced? Drivers side mount in right position? sounds like an LSD would be a wise investment? Or would this not help?

Rick Draper
16-03-09, 12:01 PM
I ran griffin autosport drive shafts but i believe they no longer supply them anymore. IIRC they used the same supplier as chris astley uses and i never had any issues with them. I ran a equal length setup and it was fine.

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 12:04 PM
^ good point. Gearbox mount spaced? Drivers side mount in right position? sounds like an LSD would be a wise investment? Or would this not help?

i have a Quaife LSD allready,

Im running the First edition Solid engine mounts from mr astley,

the gearbox has spacers installed im sure,....

Sloth
16-03-09, 12:56 PM
corsa shafts dont fit, it wont let you put the balljoint into the hub. id suggewst the equal length setup, tbh

Mike
16-03-09, 07:15 PM
What bottom arms are you using? Nova or Corsa ones.

R1CH
16-03-09, 07:19 PM
Can't see it being a problem with the shafts tbh, there'll be a hell of a lot of folk running more power than you are with those shafts, i've never heard of folk bending / twisting shafts !
I ran one of Chris's equal length shafts and had no probs.
Have you been intouch with Chris, returned the shafts to him under warrenty ??
I'm sure from time to time folk will break shafts but wouldn't have thought it would be a regular thing ?
Any pics of how the engine sits in the bay ?
Are you running super sticky slicks ? Does the car run mega low ? whats it used for, Track ? 1/4 mile ?

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 08:10 PM

Nova.. with plates welded tot he bottom..

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 08:17 PM
Can't see it being a problem with the shafts tbh, there'll be a hell of a lot of folk running more power than you are with those shafts, i've never heard of folk bending / twisting shafts !
I ran one of Chris's equal length shafts and had no probs.
Have you been intouch with Chris, returned the shafts to him under warrenty ??
I'm sure from time to time folk will break shafts but wouldn't have thought it would be a regular thing ?
Any pics of how the engine sits in the bay ?
Are you running super sticky slicks ? Does the car run mega low ? whats it used for, Track ? 1/4 mile ?

Im on the normal long n short setup at the mo, was going to move to equal length to see if it solves the problem..

chris is being great and also confused as to why its happening..

the engine sits dead flat, i measures the distances either side to my 2 mates 2.0l nova they are exactly same..

I run R888's most of the time now..

It is not low, in my eyes, there is a pic on the previous page..

Mainly track use and the odd blat tot he beach and back for fun n chips :)

R1CH
16-03-09, 08:22 PM
any pics of the shafts ? just out of interest really.

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 08:29 PM
as soon as i get the CV's off ill post up pics

novaxe235
16-03-09, 08:33 PM
this has to be a alignment problem between the box and hub shorley do you do alot of burn outs lol or something ,when do they tend to bend .

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 08:56 PM
nope, hate shredding tyres! Dont see the point in a burnout unless im at santapod.. then its different lol

let_nova
16-03-09, 08:56 PM

shouldnt make any difference as they are both the same.

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 08:58 PM
Engine Bay

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/kwackers636/broken%20bits/shaft002.jpg

Shaft on its side

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/kwackers636/broken%20bits/shaft010.jpg

Shaft Bent

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/kwackers636/broken%20bits/shaft011.jpg

let_nova
16-03-09, 09:04 PM
have you contacted the supplier

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 09:05 PM
i have yes, and he is being great but this is the 2nd long shaft its bent... i would like to fix it rather than keep relacing them. if you get what i mean?

let_nova
16-03-09, 09:07 PM
you got adjustable tie rods? whats your setup?

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 09:09 PM
standard tie rods on polly bushes

let_nova
16-03-09, 09:10 PM
whats the total front end setup? suspension, tie rods, top mounts etc etc

how much its loweres by./

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 09:16 PM
Spax Rsx Coilovers on Adjustable top mounts, Polly bushed standard tie rods, dont know how much its lowered by, but my drive shafts are not level or going up they still have a downward plunge angle on them..

vx kev
16-03-09, 09:17 PM
I have seen on nova running hi power and torque but relatively no upgrades to the suspension etc. but really low that under hard acceleration the long shaft espescially hitting the chassis leg......

skidmarkz
16-03-09, 09:29 PM
I have seen on nova running hi power and torque but relatively no upgrades to the suspension etc. but really low that under hard acceleration the long shaft espescially hitting the chassis leg......

now that is intresting! but surly it would leave a mark on my drive shaft ?

vx kev
17-03-09, 06:25 PM
now that is intresting! but surly it would leave a mark on my drive shaft ?

Suppose it should be quite obvious once your under there if there is any contact at all either on the driveshaft or the chassis leg but it may only be slight....... Who knows????

Rich
17-03-09, 07:35 PM
More likely to notice marks on the body if its hitting, do you get alot of engine movement??

Lee
17-03-09, 07:42 PM
I cant see a shaft bending uder power, they normally shear at the weakest point. I agree with Kev, it must be coming into contact with something.

And how long have you been in the IRA? lol

Dinoman
17-03-09, 07:49 PM
Throttle bodied xe in a nova.....

i have now bent 2 shafts and twisted the spline bit on the little 1??

any help would be great :(
Hi, Either wrong Material, or incorrect Heat treatment, did you get a spec sheet with them as if they are specials you should, Regards DM

skidmarkz
17-03-09, 08:32 PM
ira ? eh?

skidmarkz
17-03-09, 08:33 PM
Suppose it should be quite obvious once your under there if there is any contact at all either on the driveshaft or the chassis leg but it may only be slight....... Who knows????

as far as im concerned no it dont move much as i have solid mounts!

skidmarkz
17-03-09, 08:35 PM

iver had a look and cant see any obvious contact, the bend in the shaft is way to far back to be a chassis leg... its nearly in the middle..

kenny_afh
19-03-09, 09:16 PM
just a though, what amount of plunge do you have in the CVs?

often too much plunge can cause weakness in the CVs under power and they fail, not enough plunge could at some time result in the shaft acting as a strut between the hub and the box maybe? which im fairly sure is a force the shaft will not be designed to take.... altho i would still have thought the CVs would be the weak links and would fail before the the shaft would deform.

anybody in agreeance with this theory?

vx kev
19-03-09, 09:19 PM
just a though, what amount of plunge do you have in the CVs?

often too much plunge can cause weakness in the CVs under power and they fail, not enough plunge could at some time result in the shaft acting as a strut between the hub and the box maybe? which im fairly sure is a force the shaft will not be designed to take.... altho i would still have thought the CVs would be the weak links and would fail before the the shaft would deform.

anybody in agreeance with this theory?

Good point!
Driveshafts are solid, CVs are made up of different bits and so should fail before the shafts :wtf:

matthew172
20-03-09, 06:14 PM
use gte 22 spline shafts, hard as nails

spanishfly
20-03-09, 06:52 PM
I use Griffin autosport shafts and never had a problem, as Rick said I don't think he's around now:(
Mine are fine and have been well tested on 1/4 miles, 0-60's and trackdays.