PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank - fuel gauge, a question or two.

Keif
15-03-09, 11:10 PM
I've been looking at a Nova GSi (J-Plate).

One of it's faults (the only major mechanical one) is that the fuel gauge doesn't work.

The current owner says the sender unit is caught on the breather pipe. :confused:

If i buy the car, it's obviously the first job to do, as i don't want to be stranded.

I've done a search and found Nova petrol gauges are rather unreliable. However, a rough clue on the level will help. lol

Is it easy to replace the sender unit (are they still available from Vauxhall)

How easy is the breather pipe to replace? would it be worth it?

tom reid
15-03-09, 11:14 PM
Sender and breather are easy jobs.

Keif
15-03-09, 11:17 PM
Good news then.

Are Nova parts still available from Vauxhall, or would it be easier from a Motor factors?

7ova
15-03-09, 11:19 PM
to be honest, theres not many hard jobs on nova's
anybody with a bit of mechanical know how and
a manual from halfords can just about sort it.
where's the gsi for sale?

mowgli
15-03-09, 11:21 PM
if you are struggling, I think I have a spare sender knocking about...

I don't understand how the sender can be caught on the breather, the breathers are on the top of the tank & the sender fits into the back.
usually, the resistor goes wrong & it will read ok till about 1/2 full, then just drop away, then it finally gives up the ghost. just make a huge effort to drain the tank then jack the back right up before trying to undo it.

Keif
15-03-09, 11:22 PM
a manual from halfords can just about sort it.
where's the gsi for sale?

Do i HAVE to buy a Haynes Manual from Halfords. It's a bike shop that sells car bits. lol

I'll let you know on the GSi's location when i've bought it. ;)

7ova
15-03-09, 11:25 PM
I'll let you know on the GSi's location when i've bought it. ;)[/quote]

good move, is it a original gsi still with small block?

Gareth87
15-03-09, 11:25 PM
Do i HAVE to buy a Haynes Manual from Halfords. It's a bike shop that sells car bits. lol

lol LMFAO lol

mowgli
15-03-09, 11:27 PM
just get one off ebay, for about £5, the later green one has all the relevant stuff. png members always recommend the haynes book.

MK999
16-03-09, 12:37 AM
Was in Halfrauds earlier, and someone was asking about something for a Monaro (coolant I think judging from the bottle he had) and the guy behind the counter after hearing what car it was said "ah well, for high revving engines we have..." high revving 5.7l pushrod V8? :tard: Pretty sure someone heard my mumbled outburst of "***king idiot" lol

Haynes manual is invaluable at times, I was stuck halfway through a CV change yesterday until I managed to find mine, ruddy circlips lol

Keif
16-03-09, 08:47 AM
good move, is it a original gsi still with small block?

Very original, and staying that way. :thumb:

Simon 1867
16-03-09, 09:02 AM
Vauxhall do stock some parts for novas, i managed to get a sender unit from my 83 nova last year, Depends on what stock they have, i very much dought they will replace stock once it has gone

Keif
16-03-09, 10:37 PM
just get one off ebay, for about £5, the later green one has all the relevant stuff. png members always recommend the haynes book.

Urm, £1.76 plus the postage. ;)

Keif
17-03-09, 01:10 PM
I asked the owner about this yesterday.

He said he had the sender unit tested and it's fine.

The petrol gauge reads like it's "over" full, so it does sound like the float is stuck at it's upper most position of travel.

I'm assuming it's a tank out job to look at the sender/breather and to try and get them away from each other.

mowgli
17-03-09, 06:27 PM
I'm assuming it's a tank out job to look at the sender/breather and to try and get them away from each other.

keif, this is the bit that confuses me. the sender is at the rear of the tank (it can be removed without taking the tank off) all the breather stuff is either on top or near the filler on the rhs. there shouldn't be anything near it, unless he thinks the fuel feed pipe is a breather.......

mind you, if its been tested & is fine, then why is it faulty?????

fetch it off & have a look

mowgli
17-03-09, 06:28 PM
Urm, £1.76 plus the postage. ;)

works out at about a fiver with postage.......

mowgli
18-03-09, 10:38 PM
keif, I've been putting far too much thought into this... 20p says they put it back in on the wrong hole spacing....

Keif
18-03-09, 10:41 PM
Lol, thats what car forum are for.......to keep us thinking about niggling car issues.

Can you elaborate on "the wrong hole spacing...."

Means nothing to little old me with NO fuel tank knowledge.

16v Nova Kev
18-03-09, 10:55 PM
in theory they could have put the sender in upside down

Keif
18-03-09, 11:14 PM
Hmmm, right.

So sender unit out, looking at the Haynes book of lies, it's not that big of a job, so i'll have to see what i find.

mowgli
18-03-09, 11:21 PM
Hmmm, right.

So sender unit out, looking at the Haynes book of lies, it's not that big of a job, so i'll have to see what i find.

as i have already said, make absolutely sure you have drained the fuel then jack the back up high before taking it out... trust me, petrol in your eye is the most painful thing to happen that doesn't involve broken bones or cuts

jimbob-mcgrew
19-03-09, 12:05 AM
i hear sliding down a razor bladed banister rail on your nuts is quite enjoyable in comparison lol

Novasport
19-03-09, 11:01 PM
Let me know if you need any parts Keif, I have a few good contacts especially if you need anything obsolete.
Rich

Keif
19-04-09, 02:29 PM
A month and a half, and i actually get round to looking at this.

With the fuel drained, the little GSi got put on axle stands.

Took the sender unit out and had a look.

While the sender unit was out and IGN on, the fuel gauge didn't move.

With me laying under the car and the sender unit plugged in (and it in its lowest most position) the fuel gauge slowly made it's way to read OVER full.

Looking at the electrical contacts on the unit, it does seem a little worn.

So new sender unit required......(?)