PDA

View Full Version : suspension help :(

Novaboi_1991
15-03-09, 10:41 PM
hi all,

right, heres teh problem,.

ive just settled a deal with the natorious napalm27. done a few good deals with the lad, and cant fault him,

anyways,

im getting a set of 60mm lowering springs, with the intention of runnin on standard shox,

but!

ive been told il need shock absorbers to match a 60mm lowerin kit, ?? is this true? how much are the shock absorbers?

cheerrs

nova_saloon
15-03-09, 10:45 PM
wel basically the standard shock will take it but the handling will be pants as the standard shocks will be so soft it will just bounce up and down and feel spoungey

mowgli
15-03-09, 10:48 PM
and due to the fact that your springs are shorter & you are using standard dampers with the spring seats in their original position, there is a high probability that the suspension will hit the bump stop buffer & cause some scary higher speed handling.

to be honest about performance shock absorbers, most of them are just standard ones with a snazzy paint job.

Novaboi_1991
15-03-09, 10:48 PM
how can i make it a harder ride? on std shox ?

BTW, its for a loon too.

mowgli
15-03-09, 11:01 PM
the springs make the ride hard, the dampers stop the bouncing

Jack
15-03-09, 11:45 PM
Imagine walking round everywhere with your knees bent. Thats what you're doing to your dampers.

Novaboi_1991
15-03-09, 11:53 PM
so is it a good idea, or a bad idea to run 60mm drop springs on std setup?

Welsh Dan
16-03-09, 12:08 AM
Bad idea to run 60mm drop springs on standard shocks. The shocks won't be hard enough to damp properly and there wont be enough travel for them to do their job before hitting the bump stops over potholes/around corners etc...

Imagine walking around with your knees bent all the time, then you hit a pothole (get kicked in the knee).

brainsnova
16-03-09, 12:19 AM
plus by the time the fronts are fitted they'll be loose on the shocky.

Sloth
16-03-09, 03:54 AM
tbh for the messing, id get a set of them 150 note coilovers, and have done

Novaboi_1991
16-03-09, 03:57 AM
cnt really afford 150 notes on shox atm,

but i can save :roll: what ones are they? where frm,?

cheers

Sloth
16-03-09, 03:59 AM
iirc lmf had them, i think there kw ones

ck
16-03-09, 01:16 PM
lol no, cheapest KW ones are about £580

your thinking of the cheap Yellow FK's

on standard shocks you wanna go 40mm max. springs get too short for standard shocks any lower than this and will feel pretty crap to drive lol and will be an mot failure (loose springs)

you could even loose the rear ones if the car lifted enough off the floor when driving aswell

Maka
17-03-09, 03:38 PM
just fitted a set of those yellow FKs to mine, theyre from LMF Motorsport at 174.99 or 190 delivered. ride quality is really good but when at a low drop the springs feel a little too soft. handles really well though and cant argue for the money. get saving lad!

AlexW
17-03-09, 04:05 PM
Now ive got my coilovers i dont think il ever change, changing springs makes one hell of differance IMO.

Dinoman
17-03-09, 08:04 PM
hi all,

right, heres teh problem,.

ive just settled a deal with the natorious napalm27. done a few good deals with the lad, and cant fault him,

anyways,

im getting a set of 60mm lowering springs, with the intention of runnin on standard shox,

but!

ive been told il need shock absorbers to match a 60mm lowerin kit, ?? is this true? how much are the shock absorbers?

cheerrs

Hi Novaboi, I would not worry just fit your Springs and see how it goes as I am sure the lowering Springs are stiffer than std, and if you do hit the bump stops occasionally so what ?? you can always slow down if it gets uncomfortable, I hope that helps,Regards DM

stevie-p
17-03-09, 08:07 PM
im down 60mm on standard shocks have got uprated ones just have not got around to fitting them

mine seems ok handling is ok and is still stiff not spongy

but im in a saloon so have antirollbars lol