PDA

View Full Version : URGENT!!!! Rear Axle

neiloakley
08-01-03, 02:12 PM
How much work is it to change a rear axle? I was thinking it thru and it seemed really easy and then i remembered about the brake lines. Whenever i have tried to work on them before, i have never managed to undo the copper pipes. I know it's going to slow me down. Any ideas?

mikeoxford
08-01-03, 02:25 PM
i would of thought it easy enough to do

how many spanner rating is it in haynes!? :?

because people who do brake disk conversions on the rear, make up the beam, and then put it on - never heard of people modifying the beam on the car so it must be easy enough to swap????

could be completely barking up the wrong tree tho!

neiloakley
08-01-03, 03:22 PM
i'm on about changin the entire rear axle, nothing to modify. But certain brake pipes must be cunts to get off.

Basically, i have smacked a curb and now the bottom side of the n/s wheel sits in more than the top edge. Might just put a steel radial on and try smacking it back. Might work, might not. Any other suggestions?

CP
09-01-03, 09:24 PM
The only way I've managed to undo old brake unions without totally fcuking them is to heat them up red hot with an oxy-acetylene torch. Just wondering if you sort out and decide which ones you want to undo whether its worth going to a garage or summink and getting them to free them off for you first. At least you'll know that you'll be able to plumb it all up again OK after the swap??
BTW the spanner size I found fits best is 9mm but if they are corroded really the only way is to heat them up and bash an 8mm on?

locky
09-01-03, 09:53 PM
Also if ya aint got brake line clamps, mole grips are just as good!
I take off hoses and pipes all day long, there are certain ways to take off piping sometimes!
If the fitting is tight on the pipe giv it a little tap with a hammer, that may help it 2 shift!
Put a spanner on the fitting, and giv it a little tap to shock it, it may come off then!
failing that, the art of leverages! put a tube over the spanner 4 a longer pull!

Manta Mad
09-01-03, 10:22 PM
Know what you mean about the brake pipes :evil: I have had some success by soaking in WD40 for a while, scraping off any loose rust then getting a very tight fitting spanner.

jim sri
09-01-03, 11:00 PM
could also get the proper brake spanner for the job, will prevent rounding the bolt head. mine are sykes pickavant, but u can get em at halfords individually.

neiloakley
14-01-03, 04:07 PM
cheers.

neiloakley
14-01-03, 04:08 PM
cheers. didn't need to disconnect the brakes to change the axle. just take the hubs off and leave them attached to the car!!!

seli
06-02-03, 05:37 AM
dont wory its easy as hell it only takes time if u cant un screw the brake lines u can try heating them bolts with a lighter and coll it and it shut come loss in a snap butt if u can try buying a under aksel used one and with brakes one this will same time and money just make shure its in tipp topp kondishon. maby nedet to change legers and brake kaliper or just a good clean ... it can cost much to take it to a shop
good luck